No announcement yet.

Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And that's before one adjusts for the fact that "left" in the US is centrist or even centre-right in European terms.

Comment

I know I'm piling on Beto, but it's hard not to while he has all of the focus on him right now.

https://twitter.com/CoreyRobin/status/1106651552859783169

I don't think he needs to be raising a lot of money from small donors right now, he'll be getting plenty of media attention for a while and can get buoyed by that and hope that he catches fire, but at some point he needs to turn media attention into volunteer energy.
      Last edited by Incandenza; 15-03-2019, 22:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
        I assumed it was a diminutive form of Roberto.

Anyhoo, I've decided that I will cast my vote for whichever Dem candidate is most popular amongst African Americans. It's high time they took over because they have suffered long enough at the hands of The White Man.
        Ahhh, but do you believe in Reparations for ADOS?
        when asked about Reparations, Harris said she ain't creating any special laws for black people so that's her done and dusted.

Comment

Harris will make Dukakis look like a great campaign, if she gets the nomination we are doomed. I fear she is the Sensible Centrist box ticking hope but.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

Ahhh, but do you believe in Reparations for ADOS?
            when asked about Reparations, Harris said she ain't creating any special laws for black people so that's her done and dusted.
            I do support reparations, and I would like to extend that to Native Americans as well. I don't get the sense from my Black Twitter friends that Harris is very popular among POC anyway, for reasons that have more to do with criminal justice than with the reparations issue. She ain't it.

Comment

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...ff-2020-ballot

Washington state has passed a bill to keep 45 off the 2020 ballot papers, unless he releases his tax returns. (5 years minimum, and for any candidate.)
              Last edited by Gerontophile; 17-03-2019, 03:54.

Comment

Pete Buttigeig's dad translated Gramsci's Prison Notebooks

Comment

Emereon Wisconsin Democratic primary poll, conducted March 15-17:

Sanders 39%
                  Biden 24%
                  Warren 14%
                  O'Rourke 6%
                  Harris 5%
                  Klobuchar 4%
                  Booker 2%

Comment

I do support reparations, and I would like to extend that to Native Americans as well. I don't get the sense from my Black Twitter friends that Harris is very popular among POC anyway, for reasons that have more to do with criminal justice than with the reparations issue. She ain't it.
                    Native Americans have had reparations numerous times and black people have had nothing. Actually, Native Americans had cut black people out of reparations that were meant for the both of them. The little black people got after the civil was was taken back from them during jim crow with repressive laws, arson and theft (see the Freedman's bank)

Comment

If it turns out to be Biden v Sanders, what a fucking indictment of the Democrat talent pool.

Comment

We need to start talking about Poll Derangement Syndrome

Comment

State level polls. For primaries. 11 months out from the first primary... Hmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                            If it turns out to be Biden v Sanders, what a fucking indictment of the Democrat talent pool.
                            Eh, it's just a slump. Like the Dutch national football team. Generational gap with low quality in the middle, but some promising youngsters bubbling up. Give it eight years, and the picture will be completely different.

Comment

Native Americans have had reparations numerous times and black people have had nothing. Actually, Native Americans had cut black people out of reparations that were meant for the both of them. The little black people got after the civil was was taken back from them during jim crow with repressive laws, arson and theft (see the Freedman's bank)
                              Yeah, I have actually thought about what I wrote there and you're right. There are still injustices, but that's a completely separate issue.

What I'm not so sure about is ADOS vs the wider Pan-Africanism movement. I believe that reparations should not be limited only to ADOS, and I think ADOS is being used by trolls to sow division. And I'm not trying to whitesplain this issue, so whenever I've got it wrong, please tell me.

PS Belated happy birthday
                              Last edited by Femme Folle; 20-03-2019, 04:32.

Comment

The draft Mike Gravel movement:

https://splinternews.com/mike-gravel...f-a-1833434906

Comment

Is he back again. Might be good for Sanders have somebody ten years older and ten times angrier than him in the race.

Comment

I have no idea, just seems like a meme at this point.

I saw Bernie Sanders at UCLA yesterday. It wasn't a campaign event exactly, he was speaking at a rally for striking UC unions, and he focused his speech more on the issues of the strike, though obviously a lot of that was related to what he talks about in his speeches. The passion in the crowd from the students was undeniable. I can't say for sure, but my gut tells me that no other Democratic candidate could have gotten the turnout he did and raised the enthusiasm from students like he did yesterday.

Of course, it's only March 2019, and I'm sure that many of them will go on and support whoever is the Democratic nominee, but I think the key will be getting otherwise unmotivated people to feel like they have a stake in a candidate and in the election. Bernie is certainly one of the most electable candidates in that respect.

Comment

Heh, Bernie "I marched with Dr King" Sanders is being doorstepped by black people wherever dares to talk to them.

This is the Dr King he claims to support.
                                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NNvzVCVhIM

Comment

With regards to the "Reparations for everybody" brigade, I see an interesting debate with a Governor and a famous black athlete.
                                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAMWsWvcbtg
                                        Last edited by Tactical Genius; 25-03-2019, 13:33.

Comment

This Buttegieg guy seems to have his head screwed on. But surely he can't win with a name like that.

Comment

At the moment the more I see of Buttigieg, and the more I see of the others, the more I like Mayor Pete.

Comment

Yeah, I have actually thought about what I wrote there and you're right. There are still injustices, but that's a completely separate issue.

What I'm not so sure about is ADOS vs the wider Pan-Africanism movement. I believe that reparations should not be limited only to ADOS, and I think ADOS is being used by trolls to sow division. And I'm not trying to whitesplain this issue, so whenever I've got it wrong, please tell me.

PS Belated happy birthday
                                              I don't see why both the ADOS and the greater Pan-Africanism cannot co-exist?
                                              The ADOS deserve reparations from the US government, other DOS (from the Caribbean, latin America etc) have a case against their former colonial powers (UK, France, Spain, Portugal)
                                              I agree this ADOS issue has been latched onto by Republican trolls for further weaken the Democratic party. However, that does not and should not invalidate the claim and the main issue is the Democratic going after the black vote whilst being reluctant to address their demands.
                                              It appears the Democratic party have changed tack and are now going for the poor white vote.

Comment

I don't see why both the ADOS and the greater Pan-Africanism cannot co-exist?
                                                The ADOS deserve reparations from the US government, other DOS (from the Caribbean, latin America etc) have a case against their former colonial powers (UK, France, Spain, Portugal)
                                                I agree this ADOS issue has been latched onto by Republican trolls for further weaken the Democratic party. However, that does not and should not invalidate the claim and the main issue is the Democratic going after the black vote whilst being reluctant to address their demands.
                                                It appears the Democratic party have changed tack and are now going for the poor white vote.
                                                I'm not following the lead of the Democratic Party--they'll do what they have to do to win the election. A lot of those poor white voters are trump voters, so they're going to try to appeal to them to stop voting against their own best interests. Good luck with that.

I'm giving my vote to the candidate backed by a majority of Black voters. I'm not even sure who that candidate is right now and it might be too early to know anyway. But I'll be watching, not only the polls, but a few people I follow on Twitter--particularly Elie Mystal (@ElieNYC).

Comment

Someone else I've met . . .

He was wasted writing for a law firm gossip website.

Comment

I'm not following the lead of the Democratic Party--they'll do what they have to do to win the election. A lot of those poor white voters are trump voters, so they're going to try to appeal to them to stop voting against their own best interests. Good luck with that.

I'm giving my vote to the candidate backed by a majority of Black voters. I'm not even sure who that candidate is right now and it might be too early to know anyway. But I'll be watching, not only the polls, but a few people I follow on Twitter--particularly Elie Mystal (@ElieNYC).
                                                    Don't follow any black person. The rule of thumb is if they are seen on mainstream TV and are allowed to talk for more than 5 seconds uninterrupted, then they are not worth listening to.

This is the author of the "Reparations for everybody" bill Jim Clyburn whose bill Sanders claim is akin to reparations.

https://twitter.com/jbf1982/status/1110220482417184769

Comment

Working...
                                                    X