No announcement yet.

Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure they'll make him out to be an anti-semite if he does that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

Indeed, there is a lot of debate in the black community as all the "professional black people" propped up in the dominant society media (we all know who they are) came out heavy for her telling the whole country that she is the black candidate and the Obama 2.0.
      Unfortunately for them, this is 2019 and not 2007 and the black media went into overdrive publicising her history in California and putting up youtube videos of her verhemently defending laws, that she is now suddenly against.
      Beginning in 2016, there was a movement for black people not to vote if the candidate does not address their concerns directly like they do with other minorities such as LBGT, Hispanic and Jewish people.

We are tired of seeing candidates be really specific when addressing other communities, but when they come around black people it turns into fucking Soul train with all the signing and dancing nonsense.
      A prime example is Corey Brooker, he goes on a black radio station and when asked if he had a specific agenda for black people........
      https://youtu.be/gynbVQ25bB0 fast forward to 5 minutes if you are pushed for time.

Ha, he touches his nose when he says that every American will get "up to 50,000 dollars" through his 1,000 dollar investment account plan for new born babies.

Yes, magic Wall Street investment funds will make everyone rich.

Comment

Saw this by AOC
        https://youtu.be/KeHxXvcLbow

She is slick, real slick with the reparations talk. It's the equivalent to expecting the Jewish community who suffered under the Nazis to share their reparations money with black peolpe and homosexuals because hey, they suffered under the Nazis too

Comment

Gay men have had reparations in Germany, TG

Comment

I'd bet on Trump but the bookies are only offering 2/1.

Wonder what they would offer on a repeat of popular vote loss + electoral college win.

Comment

Hopefully he has done something terrible that's about to be exposed.

Comment

He thinks that the use of "billionaires" is unfair and that they should be called "people of means".

Comment

I have no concern about Daddy Starbucks. Even if he is part of a victimised minority.

Comment

He certainly seems to be doing his best to ensure that no Democrats vote for him.

Comment

This morning there was news that Klobuchar can't find a campaign manager because she's terrible at man-management and her staff hates her. We're beginning to whittle the primary field down:

Kamala Harris - Terrible decisions as AG and prosecutor
                      Elizabeth Warren - Idiotic decision to self-identify as Native American and then terrible political instincts in trying to protect herself from it. Also 97 years old
                      Bernie Sanders - 122 years, and doesn't have any of the traditional presidential charisma
                      Joe Biden - 120 years old, and has that appalling Anita Hill stuff on his record
                      Beto O'Rourke - Political naif with no apparent views on anything, and can't even decide whether to run
                      Amy Klobuchar - Appalling at man management and can't keep staff
                      Cory Booker - In the pocket of Wall Street and Pharma
                      Tulsi Gabbard - Couldn't even launch her campaign

Garcetti, DeBlasio, Ojeda, Landrieu, Winfrey, Obama, Clinton, Steyer, Kerry have all said they're not running.

So, we're left with: Gillibrand, Castro, Buttigieg and Delaney of those who are running, none of whom seem likely to win.

We're going to end up with fucking protectionist Sherrod Brown as the candidate, aren't we?

Comment

Presidential charisma, hehe.

Don't forget, Trump is 121 years old, and might still croak before November 2020.

Castro might be a dark horse if he can get every Hispanic in Texas to register and vote for him. Unfortunately his Spanish is rubbish so they might consider him too much of a gringo.

Amazing how self-identifying as Native American is hurting Warren way more than Trump was hurt by running a fake university that actively preyed on the hopes and dreams vulnerable people. Well done, media.
                        Last edited by anton pulisov; 07-02-2019, 17:20.

Comment

I still think it's almost certainly Bernie's if he wants to run.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

Amazing how self-identifying as Native American is hurting Warren way more than Trump was hurt by running a fake university that actively preyed on the hopes and dreams vulnerable people. Well done, media.
                            It shouldn't be disqualifying, any more than Clinton's emails should have been disqualifying. But - as with Clinton's emails - the media hit it hard, on top of which her response to it has shown all the political instinct and fleet-footedness of Iain Duncan Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                              That's a fair point, but that legislation preceded and endured after Nazi Germany so wasn't specific to the Holocaust which was my point. Plus the 30 million is a drop in the ocean to the financial and moral support given to Israel.

Comment

What is the exact problem with Elizabeth Warren and running as a Native American (apart from her looking like a regular White Woman). I thought Trump would get the full 8 years back in 2016 un less he didnt want it or died in office.

Comment

Others will have a better grasp on this than me, but as I understand it there are three strands to the Warren thing that are problematic:

The first is that, long ago, she claimed Native American status based on family folklore. My understanding of this is that it's wrong because tribal affiliation is granted by the tribe, not just chosen by random people who've decided they'd like to be thought of as a bit cherokee. It's a form of cultural appropriation.

The second is that she claimed that status on a number of job applications, or within faculty. This certainly screws up any systems within universities for checking that they aren't discriminating. What is widely hinted at by arsehole right-wing trolls, but of which there's no evidence, is that she actually got some career advancement through positive discrimination based on her nominal "Native American" status.

The third is how terribly she's reacted since this came to light. There was no simple "Well, I was always told this by my family but I sincerely apologise" stuff. There was almost no apology at all until very recently. Even worse, she then went super-defensive and revealed her DNA test which showed some possible Native American ancestry. This was massively offensive because the tribes believe that only they can determine tribal citizenship, and using DNA to imply it instead removes some tribal sovereignty, among other things.

Comment

Thanks for that.
                                    A few comments,

The first is that, long ago, she claimed Native American status based on family folklore. My understanding of this is that it's wrong because tribal affiliation is granted by the tribe, not just chosen by random people who've decided they'd like to be thought of as a bit cherokee. It's a form of cultural appropriation.
                                    But a lot of people with tenuous links to Native American tribes do this and don't get alot of heat.

The second is that she claimed that status on a number of job applications, or within faculty. This certainly screws up any systems within universities for checking that they aren't discriminating. What is widely hinted at by arsehole right-wing trolls, but of which there's no evidence, is that she actually got some career advancement through positive discrimination based on her nominal "Native American" status.
                                    Hahaha, a native american Rachael Dholazol. I am sure having her tick the minority box certainly helped her as she would show up on stats to show diversity and inclusion. It's hard to prove one way or another, but she did show up on the literature so the faculty certainly would have been happy to have her around.

The third is how terribly she's reacted since this came to light. There was no simple "Well, I was always told this by my family but I sincerely apologise" stuff. There was almost no apology at all until very recently. Even worse, she then went super-defensive and revealed her DNA test which showed some possible Native American ancestry. This was massively offensive because the tribes believe that only they can determine tribal citizenship, and using DNA to imply it instead removes some tribal sovereignty, among other things.
                                    If she proved her Native American DNA that should be the end of it right?
                                    These tribal councils are dodgy as heck and very political. They have been known to kick many black people out of the tribes which has proved very controversial.
                                    The debate over who does and doesn't have native American ancestry is murky at best due to the shenanigans around the time of the Dawes Rolls.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                      We're going to end up with fucking protectionist Sherrod Brown as the candidate, aren't we?
                                      As someone who's been cheerleading for Brown for about 10 years now, I'm bound to ask is he really or someone who hasn't gone along with the Clinton mantras? I mean, heaven forfend the Democrats elect someone who really, properly, supports unions, is a solid liberal on race and gender and can win statewide elections in a rustbelt state that Trump won. He sounds hideous.

Comment

In response to TG: As I said upthread, I don't think there's anything particularly disqualifying about Warren's Native American claims. It's very, very small beer. The problem is that her response has been leaden-footed. To take and reveal the DNA test is both ridiculously defensive, but also - it turns out - insulting to Native Americans who think that using DNA tests to prove heritage is actually damaging to the tribe. It's just clumsy politics rather than particularly abhorrent. But after our previous Democratic candidate was shockingly leaden-footed, cloth-eared to subtlety, and unaware of political consequences, there are people worried that history will repeat itself.

Comment

And in response to NHH - I'm really bothered by Brown's protectionism (and the fact that he uses "union support" as an excuse for it); and I find the argument "can win in Trump rustbelt territory" to be a horrible argument that looks like we're fighting the previous battles on the incumbent's own turf.

Comment

Yeah. The bigger problem here isn't so much whatever stupid bullshit she got up to back in the day, it's the miserable idiocy in the 21st century that is killing.

There's a thing here that seems to run through all of these stories, and they have to do with a lot of American politicians being super old, and growing up a long time ago when all sorts of completely unacceptable bullshit were completely normal for a surprisingly large number of white people. I mean my heart nearly fell out of my arse when I watched Trading places for the first time since the early nineties, and saw Dan Ackroyd wearing blackface, and that was in 1983, in an Eddie Murphy Vehicle. God knows where the Blackface scandal is going to end in the Virginia local govt. Most of the VA senate must be shitting themselves. Elizabeth Warren was doing some privileged bullshit that is relatively speaking at the minor end of this, but the only one of this people who have managed to not make the situation worse by being a complete idiot is the VA attorney General, who stopped short of going quite far enough, but a) held up his hands immediately and b) Apologized for being a glib stupid prick when he was 19, that he was deeply embarrassed, and that he had hopefully demonstrated that he had grown from his youthful stupidity. That at least leaves open the possibility that people rightly offended might say, "fair enough. His apology seems vaguely credible, he seems appropriately contrite, and it's about as good as you can expect from a 57 year old white man in virginia."

Comment

"I know most of the Democratic primary candidates are all talking about Medicare for all. I think instead we should do Medicare at 55"

Sherrod Brown, last week

Comment

[Price is Right losing horn]

Comment

TAB, that’s part of it, but not all of it.

It is hard for those without direct contact with the world of Southern gated communities, private “academies” and all white country clubs to understand what life is like within the bubble. I have a friend who went to UVA in the 2000s who reported that blackface and worse were still a thing among frat boys well after 2000. In fact, Obama’s election brought a resurgence of sorts.

Comment

And of course, those motherfuckers with the Native* American guy, had previous at their basketball games.

*Should this be capitalised? Because I feel if so, then all races should be. Or is it just all races that use a place name, eg African American, but not, white?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X