No announcement yet.

Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris Rock got any blemishes on him? I mean, he's friends with Jerry Seinfeld, so that might be enough in some quarters.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post

At the risk of keeping this going, Kendrick Lamar. Why should anyone really "like" Al Roker? He's on TV, so what?
      Kendrick Lamar, really?

You live in the US and not me, educate me please because I hear many people referring to him as one of the best rappers of his generation (alongside J Cole) and in many peoples top 30 of all time.
      "Humble" and "All the stars" ????

Comment

Chris Rock got any blemishes on him? I mean, he's friends with Jerry Seinfeld, so that might be enough in some quarters.

He admitted to cheating on his wife and I didn't like his last special.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Very few entertainers continue on an upward trajectory without some kind of reckoning. Maybe a flop movie. Maybe a random, ill-considered comment. Maybe an unfortunate association. There's always something that people will pick up on and say "yeah, see, I knew he wasn't all that". As I say, once the honeymoon phase is over.
          I personally think he is overrated as an actor and a rapper personally. He's ok but not the same quality or potential as Ice Cube or Will Smith.
          When both started rapping you could instantly see they were Special as was their acting.

And he is not that young. By he's age Will Smith and Ice Cube were highly acclaimed Rappers (NWA and the Fresh Prince songs) and had made Iconic films (Boyz in the Hood and Independence Day/ Men in black)

As for Chris Rock, he has done a couple of off code things. most notably was allowing his white friends to throw around the N word in his presence. But he does not have a history of that kind of behaviour and the way he tackles race and racial issues in his stand up routine in his films/TV shows more than makes up for the odd minor indiscretion.
          He's Pookie from NJC, you can't be mad at him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
            He admitted to cheating on his wife and I didn't like his last special.
            I don't know if you wrote that funny, but it worked out that way.

Comment

Very few entertainers continue on an upward trajectory without some kind of reckoning. Maybe a flop movie. Maybe a random, ill-considered comment. Maybe an unfortunate association. There's always something that people will pick up on and say "yeah, see, I knew he wasn't all that". As I say, once the honeymoon phase is over.
              Al Roker has been in Sharknado 2-6 but was not in the original.

Comment

Here's along piece (in Jacobin) on why Bernie is the best bet to beat Trump

Comment

I don't know if you wrote that funny, but it worked out that way.
                  You don't agree that my opinion on comedy specials is DEFINITIVE?

Comment

But the Jacobin would say that, regardless, wouldn't they? Doesn't mean they're wrong, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

You don't agree that my opinion on comedy specials is DEFINITIVE?
                      Well, I do now that you've used all-caps.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                        Turnout in New Hampshire was high, so there's that.
                        It's something, but it's worth noting that non-affiliated voters can vote in either primary and the Republican one wasn't competitive. Which means that compared to 2016 and 2008 there might be some artificial boost to the Democratic Primary turnout numbers.

Comment

This on delegate marathon supports your earlier post

[URL="https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1227720814931382278?s=21"]https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1227720814931382278[/URL]

Comment

Bernie has the best chance because there is a truly popular and broad base support there and he's not relying on donors he has to please. Pete is just too bland to convince me people will turn out for him.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/misklaroff/status/1227676161418895367[/URL]

Comment

Would pushing a "Lizzie 4 Prezzie" slogan help?

'Elizabeth' is so long and highfalutin. One can't imagine the demos bellowing it with much enthusiasm.

Comment

Interesting interview here with South Bend city council member regarding Buttigieg race relations in South Bend

Also in that clip from 1:03 onwards, some debate thing where a black moderator asks Pete Buttigieg why drug arrests went up during his tenureship as mayor, Buttigieg pivots away to talking about gang violence. Classic dog whistling there.

Comment

I did not see this coming:

The Bloomberg campaign is working with Meme 2020, a new company formed by some of the people behind extremely influential accounts.

Mick Purzycki is the lead strategist of the Meme 2020 project. He is also the chief executive of Jerry Media, a media and marketing company that is a powerful force in the influencer economy. The company’s portfolio includes some of the most notable meme accounts on Instagram. Jerry Media was at the center of controversy last year after a debate around proper crediting in meme culture.

In January, Mr. Purzycki tapped a number of large influencers who he had formed relationships with through his association with Jerry Media. (Elliot Tebele, the founder of Jerry Media, has no involvement in the project.)
                                    The campaign, which launched this week, has already placed sponsored posts on Instagram accounts including @GrapeJuiceBoys, a meme page with more than 2.7 million followers; Jerry Media’s own most popular account, with more than 13.3 million followers; and @Tank.Sinatra, a member with more than 2.3 million followers.

The accounts all posted Bloomberg campaign ads in the form of fake direct messages from the candidate.
                                    There's no effort involved in trying to sell his policies, and they're all kind of playing off that he's an out of touch old guy. I have to wonder if these will make any difference at all. It's almost breathtaking how willing Bloomberg is to piss away money on this campaign, though I saw someone say that the amount of money he has spent so far is equivalent to the interest that his fortune passively earns, so why not, eh?

In equally cynical age demographic outreach, I saw a pro-Sanders twitter account put forward that Bernie's social media should start doing low-effort anti-Trump memes making fun of his spray tan and hair and drop in mentions of the latest outrages being discussed on MSNBC as a way to win over the boomer resistance vote. I think that could be beneficial for him.

Comment

[URL="https://twitter.com/mikebloomberg/status/1227951551068721154?s=21"]https://twitter.com/mikebloomberg/status/1227951551068721154[/URL]

Bloomberg's best use by far is as a trenchant troll with unlimited funds who gets nowhere near the levers of government

Comment

bloomberg

billionaire biden

https://twitter.com/BenjaminPDixon/status/1227961302754222080?s=20

Comment

I'm glad he's getting this grilling. This doesn't even go into the stories about him at his company, since he kept mentioning that, like the time he told a woman to "kill it" when he found out that she was pregnant.

A story also came out yesterday about how he said that the 2008 financial collapse came about because the banks weren't allowed to keep redlining and had to give loans to people of color.

Comment

this thread is worth a read, Bloomberg-wise

https://twitter.com/blakezeff/status/1227976172325105664?s=20

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Bloomberg's best use by far is as a trenchant troll with unlimited funds who gets nowhere near the levers of government
                                              I think this is right. He really gets under Trump's skin, which is very entertaining. I like having someone trolling and annoying Trump. I don't think the Democratic candidate for President should be a childish troll.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

I think this is right. He really gets under Trump's skin, which is very entertaining. I like having someone trolling and annoying Trump. I don't think the Democratic candidate for President should be a childish troll.
                                                He can troll Trump, but he is not good at comebacks:

[URL]https://twitter.com/RosieGray/status/1227967600069615623[/URL]

Comment

I think that reflects the fact that the trolling is a team effort (if not completely outsourced).

He has never been great on his feet.

Comment

Manchin is undecided on Trump 2020. I wonder if Romney is too.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X