X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You just don't understand Sensible Donor culture

Comment

The New York Times do, though.

[URL]https://twitter.com/jameeljaffer/status/1191323691273146369?s=21[/URL]

Comment

See also the CNN story where they literally drew a line between Warren on 18 percent in Iowa and Sanders on 17 percent so as to indicate which candidates were "viable".

Comment

It's just so blatantly obvious, but Bernie gets called a conspiracy theorist or a left Trump when he talks about not getting good coverage because media owners don't like that he's talking about their class.

I don't know if any of them would have discussed it, but there are almost no ombudsmans any more that would discuss something like this, so it's left to people on Twitter, then it gets boiled down to a "my side vs. your side" argument.

Comment

I've mentioned before that match-up polling this far out is almost completely useless; doubly so at state level. No criticism of Nef, whose point is valid. But I really wish the NYT would stop making a big deal of it. In all those polls Trump's numbers basically don't change between the candidates. It's an almost completely useless exercise.

Comment

Want to feel like crawling out of your skin?

[URL]https://twitter.com/KyleKulinski/status/1191425239776997378[/URL]

Comment

Everything about mayor Pete is a fuckin disgrace. Every fucker there a future Republican.

Comment

I really don't mind Mayor Pete. He'd be my second choice as candidate. I suspect that a lot of America's Sensibles are projecting their own beliefs on to him, but when I hear him talk he doesn't sound half as Sensible as Klobuchar or Biden. We could do far worse than him becoming the consensus choice of the tired American centrist.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno
                    That video makes me want to vote for Trump.

I don't even understand what the point is. Is this something his troops are supposed to do to gee themselves up before they go out and pound the streets for him or is it a dance routine that his supporters are supposed to do at his rallies?

Comment

It's the most substantial thing I've seen come out of the Buttigieg campaign.

Comment

More on the stupidity of match up polling. These are out today. They're good looking numbers all round. But the devil is in the detail:
                        You'd look at it and think that Biden is the most likely to win against Trump. But in reality there's almost no change in Trump's bottom line between any of those match-ups. The difference seems to almost entirely be one of familiarity with the Democratic candidate. These are just ways of determining which candidate has had the most long-term exposure. Warren has now caught up with Bernie on that front

Comment

I dunno. Maybe he's right, but Chait's reading seems the equivalent of Sensibles like John Rentoul in the UK, fighting the wars of yesteryear. I still think Biden will lose harder than Warren or even Sanders.
                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 06-11-2019, 00:17.

Comment

Chait sounds absolutely like someone clamouring for David Milliband to come riding back from the wilderness. I'm not particularly left wing, but he's not arguing against left wing policy, he's arguing against having any ambition at all. Because that worked so well for HRC in 2016.

Comment

Testify.

Comment

The fucking West Wing fantasyland as the pundit class.

Comment

I'm not even sure whether this is genuinely felt, or whether some editor has said "Find an angle, any angle, that might get some clicks. The best stuff is "Democrats are in trouble" - people love to eat that shit up. They love the "We're dooooomed! We're all dooooooomed!" attitude, so feed them some of that shit."

Comment

Oh god yeah I can just smell the editorial meeting flopsweat. "WaPo is beating us on clicks! Increase the fear!"

Comment

Keep in mind that New York's raison d'etre is as the lifestyle bible for the Friends/Sex and the City crowd (much of which doesn't live in the city).

Comment

Meanwhile in 2019 election news:

It's going to be tight in the Kentucky governor's race. This is a good test of "You can put a red rosette on a literal piece of shit and it'll get elected in Kentucky" theory. Bevin, the Republican, is currently up in the current count 50.5-47.5, but there appear to be a fair amount of votes left to count in Lexington and Louisville which could be more Democrat.

It's going to be tight in the Virginia legislature races. There's an outside chance of the Democrats taking control of both legislative houses and the governors mansion in Virginia for the first time in a long time: Democrats winning or leading 22 of the 40 Senate seats. They're winning or leading 45 races in the house, Republicans 47, one independent, 7 aren't reporting yet.

No news yet from the Mississippi governor's race.

Comment

More than a quarter of the eligible black voters in Kentucky have been disenfranchised.

Comment

Lexington's reported and Beshear's 1.5% ahead now. If Beshear wins considering that disenfranchisement stat, it would be astonishing. I still think it's unlikely (900 precincts left to report), but the possibility is there.

Comment

That's fantastic news. NYT's results page hasn't confirmed it yet, but it's hard to see how they don't win it.

Kentucky is ridiculously tight - Democrat Beshear leading by just under 1%, with 1.4% of precincts not reporting: but those precincts all seem to be in incredibly Republican areas. If I was guessing, I'd think this election will come down to a couple of thousand votes and a recount.

Comment

KY has no automatic recount trigger and if Bevin wants a recount, he'll have to pay for it himself. They're calling Beshear the "apparent winner" now.

Comment

https://twitter.com/jemillerwbal/status/1191904043486060544

Comment

Working...
                                                  X