No announcement yet.

Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's Biden referring to Angela Merkel as Margaret Thatcher, struggling to correct himself, and then getting "Alanga-la Merkel" out at the end.

[URL]https://twitter.com/BetaODork/status/1171215765443403778[/URL]

Comment

I have been counting down to this day and I knew it would come.

https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/sta...22353735688200

So she is no longer black but Indian which is kinda making sense when you take into account her record as prosecutor and DA.

I can see a parallel here with Coleman Hughes, Or should I say Coleman Cruz Hughes from the senate hearing
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zebP74OTopA

But then he probably has another agenda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqyhaLFk8c8&t=5s

Comment

I really don't want to defend her but why shouldn't she be allowed to identify with both her Indian as well as black heritage?

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
          I really don't want to defend her but why shouldn't she be allowed to identify with both her Indian as well as black heritage?
          No problem with that, but she has kept her Indian side pretty quiet talking up her black roots and her Jamaican family, weed smoking, eating soul food, listening to rap music and other patronising bollocks.
          When she won her election as a senator, she was hailed as the first [b]Indian-American/b] senator in history, but there isn't much political capital in positioning yourself and an Indian-American.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/berniesanders/status/1172254598452645897?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Joe's dentures slipped during the debate last night. That's all that I know about what happened.

Comment

There was also this

[URL="https://twitter.com/diegoatlaw/status/1172378258270085120?s=21"]https://twitter.com/diegoatlaw/status/1172378258270085120[/URL]

Comment

The debate was so long even Corey Booker got to a point where I looked up from my phone and said "he seems to be getting a lot of airtime".

Comment

I managed to face the first hour and a bit of it, but the people who moderate these have a way of making sure they're fundamentally uninteresting and just a way of candidates repeating their soundbites. Beto was a bit more engaged than before. Kamala seemed a bit more distant. Other than that it just felt like the previous debates on repeat.

Comment

God, that answer...Albert Burnenko wrote about that at Deadspin:

What you are seeing is a sundowning and increasingly panicked geriatric who cannot follow the cognitive thread from the beginning of a sentence to the end of one, much less from one sentence to another. To the extent you can pull any actual semantic content out of this demented babble, Joe Biden, frontrunner for the Democratic Party's presidential nomination, answered the question of whether and how Americ'as educational system should redress the legacy of slavery and systemic racism in this country by saying that social workers should be sent into black parents' homes to teach them how to put the record player on at night so their kids will hear as many words as white kids. As a charitable donation, you can perhaps grant that he had no fucking idea what was coming out of his mouth.

If you accept the basic and fairly uncontroversial proposition that "President of the United States" is an important job with the power to influence many extremely vital functions of government, and that this job is best done by someone capable of at least steady if not genuinely nimble brainwork, then it doesn't even matter whether Biden's politics are bad; or whether he has shown himself over the years to be a weasel who uses a phony Regular Amtrak-Ridin' Uncle Joe routine to paper over shameless stoogery on behalf of various predatory industries; or whether his cretinous attitudes toward issues such as race, criminal justice, and the bodily autonomy of women were outdated over 40 years ago and have not substantially changed since then. He can't fucking think straight. He's a senile old man who has no business running a museum tour, much less the executive branch of the federal government.

(And so, naturally, the Washington Post's analyst, Dan Balz, writes that "former vice president Joe Biden on Thursday delivered the kind of performance his supporters have been waiting for--combative when needed and in the thick of the action throughout." As for, like, the actual stuff Biden said, or the plain, slurring, loose-dentured confusion with which he said it, that mostly goes unmentioned. Why should that matter? He was givin' 'em hell!)
                      The media ignoring the obvious cognitive/speech issues that Biden is having is just...I guess it's not surprising given who he is, but any other candidate and they wouldn't be taken seriously and much more would be made of it. But it feels like we're being gaslighted by the horse race recaps that talk about what a good job he's doing.

I'm obviously all in for Bernie, but if it keeps going like this I may have to hope for Warren to pick up states just as a way to stop Biden from getting the nomination since she's the only other somewhat left candidate that the media takes seriously.

Comment

The reactions of the other candidates to Biden's "make sure they have the record player on at night" are interesting. They are averting their eyes from a dementia sufferer in full flow.

But will they stick the knife in or rely on the punditocracy to do it?

Comment

He makes Trump look as literate as Shakespeare.

Comment

Come on, that's not true. Biden is clearly a once intelligent bloke who's lost it. Trump is a fucking moron.

Comment

And at the beginning of the debates Biden is lucid enough to stay on script. He's clearly not Trumpian in his stupidity. He's just getting on a bit, and a bit forgetful.

Also, while he obviously has a pretty dodgy track record in places and some political positions that seem a little right wing, he's sometime presented as basically Trump-lite which is unfair.

It will be interesting to see if the media (or other candidates) go after Biden for his age - because if you do that, you're opening Bernie up to the same attack even if Bernie isn't showing the same forgetfulness yet.

Comment

Garbage article in the Grauniad, as if HRC never happened:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ace-anti-trump

Comment

Are these all the candidates? No latecomers to stir things up?

Comment

The amount of money required now makes it extremely difficult for candidates to emerge late in the process.

Comment

Tom Steyer is the hypothetical latecomer, piling tens of millions of his own dollars in. He missed the first debate by not being in the race and the next two by not meeting the entry criteria. He will make the fourth debate basically by buying his way in (you need to be above 2% in 4 polls over the previous 8 months, so it shouldn't be that challenging yet many have failed - it turns out that they're including some state level polls and Steyer has advertised like crazy in Iowa and New Hampshire to push him up to that level). You also need 130,000 donors and he created massive lists of potential donors in the previous few years by funding campaigns on impeachment and climate change.

So, he'll make the next debate, but he has no traction, no constituency, no good national polling. He just as a comically big ego, like a lot of billionaires.

If the field were only 2 or 3 serious candidates it might be possible for a late entry to make a difference. With 20-something candidates at the outset, you'd have to have a ridiculously high national profile to make any impact. I can't think of anyone who could.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                        Garbage article in the Grauniad, as if HRC never happened:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ace-anti-trump
                                        Hahaha I gave up the first two sentences

Yes, the likes of Warren are wide-eyed revolutionaries

Comment

The guy was a Bush 1 staffer.

Comment

So WTF is he doing writing for the Grauniad?

Comment

Same as their other right-wing shitbags, I guess. Stealing a living.

Comment

It was obviously dogshit from the start. But when he got to the line about ripping people from their beloved health insurance plans it was obvious that the author has never been outside the US, too.

Very strange to see that in the Graun rather than a trolling right-wing US newspaper who're going to claim that Biden is the absolute right choice up until the nomination is decided, and then whoever is the Democratic nominee, even if it's Biden or Klobuchar or Delaney, they're going to say that the Democrat is basically a more left-wing version of Trotsky and that despite the fact that they can't stand Trump and he's a very bad man, they have to support him...

Comment

Working...
                                                X