No announcement yet.

Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting on TV for a couple of hours was the whole point for at least half of them. But only their close relatives will remember that they ever ran.

I felt a little sorry for Warren having to participate in a contest so below her level. She should be slugging it out with Bernie and Biden not having to roll her eyes at these lightweights.

Comment

Mrs. Inca asked if we were recording it and she caught me rolling my eyes. Of course she hasn't watched it at all.

Comment

This is somewhat interesting, if very unsurprising

[URL="https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1143940243210608640?s=21"]https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1143940243210608640[/URL]

Comment

In other news,

[URL="https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1144336709796208641?s=21"]https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1144336709796208641[/URL]

Comment

What does 'brigade online polls Tulsi' mean?

Comment

What the fuck is going on with Tulsi? That Linus was a fan was my first red flag, that NY mag article on her cultish connections another. Does she have a genuine non 4chan base?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                What does 'brigade online polls Tulsi' mean?
                Okay, asked this before reading the article. I assumed the person in ursus' post had mis-typed his tweet. First time I've seen 'brigade' as a verb.

Comment

But still not as bad as Geert Wilders, according to that analysis. The Dutch, the champions of casual everyday racism.

Edit: Was replying to that thing that said the republicans have turned into neo nazis
                  Last edited by anton pulisov; 27-06-2019, 23:36.

Comment

But Geert Wilders was always an extremist who the "mainstream right" mocked, and only colluded with when forced. The thing about the Republican Party is that their positions are of a small, minority far-right party, yet they have the support levels of a combined far-right and Christian Democrat party.

Comment

As for Tulsi, she has a position that might get her credit. She was the first congressperson to back Sanders last time, which will earn her loyalty from some Sandernistas going forward, particularly the ones who think the entire establishment is out to discredit their candidate. The fact that she's "anti-war" also appeals to an overlapping constituency. The weird nuances pointed out in Ursus's article probably wouldn't be dwelled upon by this group, because she's the non-interventionist peace candidate who's for getting out of Iraq and Afghanistan.

There's part of me that wonders if some of the Bernie-Bro crowd for whom everything is an attack on their man, and who seem a little reactionary in their social politics, might also not be too upset by Tulsi's weird conservative upbringing.

I'd say that if Sanders withdrew, her support might creep up towards 5%. She won't win anything, not by a long chalk, but her ceiling isn't just the 4-Channers.

Comment

Joe Biden saying he's against racism and running for president of the federal government, saying that it's not the federal government's job to combat racist schools.

He can't just say he was wrong, can he.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                          As for Tulsi, she has a position that might get her credit. She was the first congressperson to back Sanders last time, which will earn her loyalty from some Sandernistas going forward, particularly the ones who think the entire establishment is out to discredit their candidate. The fact that she's "anti-war" also appeals to an overlapping constituency. The weird nuances pointed out in Ursus's article probably wouldn't be dwelled upon by this group, because she's the non-interventionist peace candidate who's for getting out of Iraq and Afghanistan.

There's part of me that wonders if some of the Bernie-Bro crowd for whom everything is an attack on their man, and who seem a little reactionary in their social politics, might also not be too upset by Tulsi's weird conservative upbringing.

I'd say that if Sanders withdrew, her support might creep up towards 5%. She won't win anything, not by a long chalk, but her ceiling isn't just the 4-Channers.
                          "Sandernistas" "bernie-Bros" You're becoming increasingly tedious

Comment

I wonder if Tulsi Gabbard would be getting half the hate she was getting if she was a man.

Comment

For the Dems, I think a guy who's a member of a very weird 70s hangover personality cult would be getting it in the neck.

For the Republicans, it's mandatory to be a member of a 70s hangover personality cult of Ayn Rand, obv.

Comment

If Gabbard wins the nomination and then the presidential election, then for broadcast on the day before her inauguration someone needs to record "24 hours from Tulsi".

Comment

If OCS endorses Sanders and campaigns for him, he will be hard for the Dem establishment to beat. But maybe she prefers Warren?

Comment

Do you mean AOC, not OCS?

Comment

Last night's debate, brief rundown:

Racist grandpa had a pretty terrible time, and his one repeat line - he kept telling us that he was part of the Obama administration - was a version of "one of my best friends is black".

Sanders was Sanders. I don't get the love, but if you were on board before you still are.

Kamala and Buttigieg were both very good at doing what they do, and if it were down to me the race would be between them and Warren and everyone else would go home.

Marianne Williamson felt like she was channeling Lucille Bluth. Andrew Yang looked like he was stagestruck.

The low polling non-entity white dudes: Hickenlooper, Bennet and particularly Swalwell were charisma free, bizarre and pointless. At least there's a reason for Inslee's candidacy - I don't see the point of any of these running. They aren't pushing anything distinguishable from the others in the field.

Comment

As he was in the 70s

Comment

Harris clearly had a very good night, but given how often she talked about her time as prosecutor or AG, I'm amazed that nobody actually challenged her on that stuff. Buttigieg was challenged on the police shooting in South Bend and had a pretty good mea culpa. It would be interesting to see how Harris reacts when her record gets pointed out.

Comment

Biden did have a line about being a public defender, not a prosecutor.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                              Biden did have a line about being a public defender, not a prosecutor.
                                              I heard that, and was expecting someone to move it forward. But nobody did - and I think only a small fraction of the viewers will have understood what it was referring to without any context.

Comment

On the online thing, apparently the subReddit for Trump support has been quarantined, which means there is a whole lot of additional checks put on users - verified email address, all that sort of stuff. And suddenly a lot of upvotes and stuff have disappeared, indicating a wide variety of bots and fake accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                                  On the online thing, apparently the subReddit for Trump support has been quarantined, which means there is a whole lot of additional checks put on users - verified email address, all that sort of stuff. And suddenly a lot of upvotes and stuff have disappeared, indicating a wide variety of bots and fake accounts.
                                                  it's good news, but r/the_donald has been toxic and could have been banned going on years now. Compare to how quickly someone posting in the Chapo Trap House sub was banned and the entire sub almost taken down for saying that slave owners being killed was a good thing.

Comment

Joe Biden has a serious presidential self-entitlement thing going on. It's an order of magnitude worse than Hillary Clinton.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X