Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by linus View Post
    Sanders would have clearly been a better option than either Clinton or Trump, and still is, but he's also been duplicitous on interventionism, and has had a history of tacitly supporting Israeli aggression, as he did in 2006 IIRC when Israel attacked Lebanon and more recently in 2014 (that last instance is well-documented in the link below).

https://electronicintifada.net/conte...alestine/15581

Sanders is also a lot more hawkish and pro-interventionist than his image conveys.

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/a-...pro-war-party/

https://www.mintpressnews.com/bernie...stance/208066/
    And racist........

Comment

So he's a racist now is he father

Probably the least racist of all the candidates, in fairness
      Last edited by anton pulisov; 25-05-2019, 09:18.

Comment

Joe, please go away

[URL]https://twitter.com/feliciasonmez/status/1133505331416453121[/URL]

Comment

If Biden gets the nomination, the Democrats are broken.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
            So he's a racist now is he father

Probably the least racist of all the candidates, in fairness
            Yep,

Voted for the 94 crime bill
            Admits the impact it has on mass incarceration yet has made no attempt to repeal it (or promised to do so when in office)

His flip flopping on reparations is laughable.

Comment

Bill Clinton intentionally bundled some progressive bait into the bill, such as measures against domestic violence and assault weapons, in order to try and get some of the left wing of the party to support it. And he threw in the three strikes red meat for the "moderate" Republicans. It was classic third way bullshit. Congressman Sanders fell for the bait.

The relevantquestion is, however, would such a bill ever even have seen the light of day under a Sanders presidency?

The weird thing, that I've never understood, is that the likes of John Lewis keep coming out to bat for the Clintons, who were behind all the parts of the bill, including the shitty parts. Bill Clinton flew back to Arkansas during the 1992 campaign to sign the execution papers for a mentally ill black man, to prove he was tough on crime.
              Last edited by anton pulisov; 29-05-2019, 08:48.

Comment

Bill Clinton intentionally bundled some progressive bait into the bill, such as measures against domestic violence and assault weapons, in order to try and get some of the left wing of the party to support it. And he threw in the three strikes red meat for the "moderate" Republicans. It was classic third way bullshit. Congressman Sanders fell for the bait.

The relevant question is, however, would such a bill ever even have seen the light of day under a Sanders presidency?

The weird thing, that I've never understood, is that the likes of John Lewis keep coming out to bat for the Clintons, who were behind all the parts of the bill, including the shitty parts. Bill Clinton flew back to Arkansas during the 1992 campaign to sign the execution papers for a mentally ill black man, to prove he was tough on crime.
                Although the 1994 Crime bill was under Clinton's presidency, The Chief architect was Joe Biden.
                Sanders knew the implications for the crime bill at the time , yet voted for it anyway. I believe you linked to a speech he made at the time where he expessed concern about the implications of the bill.

For those who don't know, the bill earmarked around $12 Billion for the states to build new prisons if they change their laws to hand out stiffer sentences. The implication is that they lock up more black people.

This dovetails with the Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1986 to make sure it targets the correct demographics.
                Bit like I said, I have seen nothing to say President Sanders will repeal the most damaging aspects of the 1994 crime bill.

Comment

Well, Senator Sanders already co-authored the bill that was passed to do away with the discrepancies between crack and cocaine.

Comment

Bought and paid for Negro's like John Lewis and James Clyburn are not really relevant in the black community nowadays. They trot out to promote and defend white supremacists and make white people feel good about themselves by saying it aint all bad as well as lecture and talk down to all uppity Negros who make outrageous demands like reparations or an end to police brutality.

Bear in mind Anton, most genuine civil rights leaders from the 60's are now dead or neutralised. The rest were probably police collaborators or double-agents. Do you know Al Sharpton was an FBI informant?

Comment

Well, Senator Sanders already co-authored the bill that was passed to do away with the discrepancies between crack and cocaine.
                      And restorative justice for anyone who fell foul of this?

Comment

Not that I know of. I'm sure if he was asked he'd agree to do it retroactively as well. But there are 99 other senators, a house and a presidency. Not to mention the current supreme court who would probably throw out retroactive laws.

The US government isn't conducive to change

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                          Bought and paid for Negro's like John Lewis and James Clyburn are not really relevant in the black community nowadays. They trot out to promote and defend white supremacists and make white people feel good about themselves by saying it aint all bad as well as lecture and talk down to all uppity Negros who make outrageous demands like reparations or an end to police brutality.

Bear in mind Anton, most genuine civil rights leaders from the 60's are now dead or neutralised. The rest were probably police collaborators or double-agents. Do you know Al Sharpton was an FBI informant?
                          True. Would be great if MLK and MX were still alive and giving their opinions. I doubt they'd be backing any of the candidates.

Didn't know that Al Sharpton was an informant.

Comment

Not that I know of. I'm sure if he was asked he'd agree to do it retroactively as well. But there are 99 other senators, a house and a presidency. Not to mention the current supreme court who would probably throw out retroactive laws.

The US government isn't conducive to change
                            It interesting how the executive and legislative branches go into a state of paralysis when it comes to soothing the plight of black people. Also interesting is the people who genuinely believe in this bull. If you can pass gay marriage in somewhere as socially backward as the USA, you can pass reparations.

Comment

Al Sharpton
                              http://time.com/53389/al-sharpton-informant-fbi-mafia/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Sharpton

Comment

Well, part of the problem was that gay marriage wasn't "passed".

What happened was that the Supreme Court decided that states couldn't ban it or refuse to issue licenses to gay couples.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  Well, part of the problem was that gay marriage wasn't "passed".

What happened was that the Supreme Court decided that states couldn't ban it or refuse to issue licenses to gay couples.
                                  Ok, wrong phrasing, but you get what I mean.

Comment

I do, but the phrasing is outcome-determinative in this case, at least in the short term.

The current Congress would never approve gay marriage and the current President wouldn't sign the bill if somehow they did.

And there isn't anything close to a likely path whereby the courts could require reparations to be paid (which is why Coates and others focus on legislation, rather than bringing court cases).

One of the myriad problems that this country faces (and isn't really dealing with) is that its representative bodies aren't at all representative of the country. They are all whiter, richer, more religious and (not incidentally) more reactionary.

It's a serious obstacle to any kind of progress on the issue.
                                    Last edited by ursus arctos; 29-05-2019, 17:35.

Comment

See also abortion, which is legal via Roe v Wade, not by way of legislation.

Best idea I've heard regarding the supreme court has come from Buttigieg. New justices should be unanimously approved by existing justices in the court. You'd end up with a court of Merrick Garlands, which might not be a bad thing.
                                      ​​​
                                      ​​​
                                      Last edited by anton pulisov; 29-05-2019, 23:10.

Comment

See also abortion, which is legal via Roe v Wade, not by way of legislation.

​​​
                                        ​​​
                                        Which was based on a false accusation BTW.

Comment

Best idea I've heard regarding the supreme court has come from Buttigieg. New justices should be unanimously approved by existing justices in the court. You'd end up with a court of Merrick Garlands, which might not be a bad thing.
                                          Yep. The Buttigieg supreme court proposal is one I very much like the sound of. I've complained about a lack of substance from him on other stuff, but that's actually a worthwhile proposal (although I think I read somewhere that it's somehow unconstitutional).

Comment

So now the Louisiana house have gone all right-wing on abortion, and the governor of Louisiana, who is a Democrat, will sign off on the bill.

Further confirmation​ that, as long as all 50 states get two senators each, the US is pretty much screwed.
                                            ​​

Comment

Freedom gas isn't free, there's a price for you and me...

Comment

That's the ministry that is responsible for our nuclear weapons, folks.

Sleep well, all.

Comment

It's like a really, really bad attempt at Newspeak. Newspeak done by 11 year olds thinking that they're brilliant satirists.

Comment

In other words, pretty much what one would expect from guys who don't have the chops of Jacob Wohl or Ben Shapiro.

There is a large and very well-funded ecosystem that serves to develop these wingnuts and insulate them from contact with criticism or facts that challenge their perverted worldview.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X