No announcement yet.

Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s not clear, to me at least, what Latinx/Latin/Latino/Latina people actually prefer or if there is any consensus around it. I’m not going to assume that activists and academics are a fair representation of the population, especially given that academics in particular are notorious for going out of their way to make language more opaque.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

Latino uses the male form to denote everyone.

You find it acceptable. Many other don't

You repeatedly asserting something doesn't make it so
      This appears to be the third time today you've accused me of saying something I haven't. What "something" are you saying I'm asserting? I realize many find "Latino" unacceptable. That's how this discussion arose. It's their right to find it unacceptable. For at least the third time, I think anyone who does is wrong to judge those who don't have a problem with it, because it's still a broadly accepted term, is listed in all standard dictionaries as correct, and is not a slur. That's my opinion, not an assertion of fact.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
        As for Latinx, I find it an awkward construction and it’s difficult to read because I don’t know how to pronounce it, but - frankly - its deeply unimportant how I react to it If Latinx people prefer it, then it’s not my business to tell them they’re wrong.
        For the record, no one here has suggested "they" are "wrong" to prefer the word.

Comment

About One-in-Four U.S. Hispanics Have Heard of Latinx, but Just 3% Use It

Comment

Maybe a ways to go before we can starting referring to what "the Latinx people" want.

Comment

Progressive Latino pollster: 98% of Latinos do not identify with “Latinx” label

We presented our respondents with seven of the most common terms used to describe Latinos and asked them to select the one that best describes them. When it came to “Latinx,” there was near unanimity. Despite its usage by academics and cultural influencers, 98% of Latinos prefer other terms to describe their ethnicity. Only 2% of our respondents said the label accurately describes them, making it the least popular ethnic label among Latinos.
              Last edited by Bruno; 22-11-2020, 20:48.

Comment

Enough already.

Comment

This is boooorrring.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                    Except the Latinx people don't see themselves as Italians. Just as Irish people don't like being called English
                    I didn't realise that I had called them Italians

Comment

Correctamundx.

Comment

Since we’re on the topic of labels. Do people from the Philippines count as “east Asian” or “Pacific Islanders?”

Comment

Well. I always wondered what would kill this thread. Whoever had Bruno & Nef in an argument about gender - pat yourself on the back.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                            Since we’re on the topic of labels. Do people from the Philippines count as “east Asian” or “Pacific Islanders?”
                            Hispanic?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                              I'd say Asian. Like Japan. Havng lived in the Pacific Islands

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                Well. I always wondered what would kill this thread. Whoever had Bruno & Nef in an argument about gender - pat yourself on the back.
                                We can all be amigxs on here, surely.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

I didn't realise that I had called them Italians
                                  "I'm going to use the Italian plural Latini then. Grammatically correct woke"

Comment

Perhaps “they prefer” wasn’t great. But put it this way - no harm is done by using Latinx. Potential offense is caused and potential damage in terms of gender stereotype reinforcement is done by using Latino. So why not take the completely effortless route of causing least offense and damage by changing a single letter?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

I'd say Asian. Like Japan. Havng lived in the Pacific Islands
                                      That was my thought, but a guy I know whose dad is Philippino suggested they are Pacific Islands, which is always one of the choices on any survey.

Comment

I have a white friend from Illinois with a South African passport who states that she is “African American” by any geographical definition. Just like people from Japan, Taiwan and the Philippines are “Pacific Islanders” by geographical definitions. But that’s clearly not the point in terms of describing people by their ethnic backgrounds. Pacific Islanders really means micronesians, melanesians and polynesians.

Comment

I'm glad I've been drinking heavily and watching NFL highlights whilst reading the last few pages.

Comment

I have a white friend from Illinois with a South African passport who states that she is “African American” by any geographical definition.
                                            Bet she’s fun at parties

Comment

That’s what I thought, but I don’t know much about the Philippines.

Comment

Sidney Powell, who was being trumpeted as a key part of Trump's legal team only last week, is apparently now "not a member of the Trump legal team". Could she have proved too nuts.... even for Trump?

Comment

Flynn must be seriously happy that he has his pardon in hand

Comment

Perhaps “they prefer” wasn’t great. But put it this way - no harm is done by using Latinx. Potential offense is caused and potential damage in terms of gender stereotype reinforcement is done by using Latino. So why not take the completely effortless route of causing least offense and damage by changing a single letter?
                                                    Well, if the vast majority of Latinos/as/x don't identify with Latinx, it might cause mild offense or annoyance.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X