Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe Biden running. Oh god.

Comment

Buttigieg supports prisoner disfranchisement. Let's hope he never gets imprisoned for something he never did or for something trivial.

Comment

As for Joe Biden,

"Joe Biden once called state-mandated school integration “the most racist concept you can come up with,” and Barack Obama “the first sort of mainstream African American who is articulate and bright and clean.” He was a staunch opponent of “forced busing” in the 1970s, and leading crusader for mass incarceration throughout the ‘80s and ‘90s. Uncle Joe has described African-American felons as “predators” too sociopathic to rehabilitate — and white supremacist senators as his friends.

And, as of this writing, a plurality of black Democrats want him to be their party’s 2020 nominee."

From here.
        http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/...explained.html

Comment

The age thing is extraordinary here. Currently, the top two competitors in opinion polls by some distance (being the only ones polling in double figure percentages) are Sanders and Biden.

Sanders (born Sep 1941) would be over 79 yrs and 4 months old on taking office. That is (a) more than 8 and a half years older than the existing record set by #45 for age on taking office, and (b) older than any president so far has been on leaving office (Reagan, at the end of his 8 years, was a couple of weeks short of his 78th birthday).

Biden (born Nov 1942) is only a year and a bit younger - he'd be 78 years and 2 months on taking office, also older than any president so far has been on leaving office.

Konrad Adenauer territory. Makes the choice of running mate more important than usual.
          Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 25-04-2019, 11:24.

Comment

He wasn't half-bad though, Adenauer.

Comment

Polls at this stage of the race are little more than exercises in name recognition.

[URL]https://twitter.com/ledpast/status/1121005943544672258?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                He wasn't half-bad though, Adenauer.
                Apart from liberally allowing ex-Nazis to fill the CDU ranks, of course.

Comment

Ah yeah, actual Nazis in your party never a good look.

Comment

Primarily because of the Electoral College, which magnifies the impact of voter suppression in key "battleground" states.

I would be extremely surprised if he won the popular vote (and his "strategy" (to the extent he has one) appears to indicate that he would be too).

Comment

Awkward launch on Joe's IG page:

[URL]https://twitter.com/Tankie_Viciedo/status/1121384096595357696[/URL]

Comment

I'm seeing a huge amount of antipathy to Biden. And, unlike say Harris or Buttigieg, nobody doesn't already know Biden - he's unlikely to swing anyone on to his side with his candidacy, I don't think. So, at first glance, it looks like a bit of a fool's mission from him to go for this.

Comment

Trump hadn't even declared at this stage of the 2016 cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                            I'm seeing a huge amount of antipathy to Biden. And, unlike say Harris or Buttigieg, nobody doesn't already know Biden - he's unlikely to swing anyone on to his side with his candidacy, I don't think. So, at first glance, it looks like a bit of a fool's mission from him to go for this.
                            I think of any candidate, though, Biden could have a huge generational divide more so than a ideological one. I feel like the anti-Biden sentiment is mostly from younger people, whereas older folks and a lot in the media will like him.

Comment

He's fuckin terrible. The Onion Biden was a whole lot more palatable than the real Kinnock plagiarizing gropey dog whistling real deal. I've a terrible feeling the DNC machine will coalesce behind him or Harris.

Comment

I'd take Harris over Biden any day, for all her flaws (and despite her email machine spambombing me daily or more with utterly vacuous, content free demands for cash)

Comment

I'd take Harris over Biden any day, for all her flaws (and despite her email machine spambombing me daily or more with utterly vacuous, content free demands for cash)
                                  I know you are a Harris sympathiser. But even Harris the presidential candidate doesn't support Harris the California prosecutor or DA.

I would take Trump over both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

I know you are a Harris sympathiser. But even Harris the presidential candidate doesn't support Harris the California prosecutor or DA.

I would take Trump over both of them.
                                    I stopped being a Harris sympathiser once you pointed out her record as prosecutor and DA. But she's still better than Biden. And both are - obviously - better than Trump, and I can only assume that you prefer Trump because you believe the only way to destroy the system is to make it so bad that it brings about a revolution, because I can see no other rationale for it.

Comment

I stopped being a Harris sympathiser once you pointed out her record as prosecutor and DA. But she's still better than Biden. And both are - obviously - better than Trump, and I can only assume that you prefer Trump because you believe the only way to destroy the system is to make it so bad that it brings about a revolution, because I can see no other rationale for it.
                                      Yep, Trump is spreading the pain and is giving confidence to all the white Supremacists who are coming out and exposing themselves. My only goal is to end the system of white Supremacy and replace it with a system of justice.
                                      By exposing the likes of Harris, AOC, Booker and other white supremacists in black face, we don't have an obama 2.0 where everyone can lie and pretend we live in a post racial society despite police brutality and mass killings of non-white people globally.

Comment

Biden's best shot would have been the last election. I'd hope for someone decent who was at least twenty years younger than him, or Sanders. But (and it's a big one) I do think he may have the best chance of taking down Trump. There's a lot of 60+ voters who'll vote for Joe because he's not Trump, but he's lived through the same period and changes as he has and emerged , more or less, on the side of the good guys (compared to Trump.)

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                          Biden's best shot would have been the last election. I'd hope for someone decent who was at least twenty years younger than him, or Sanders. But (and it's a big one) I do think he may have the best chance of taking down Trump. There's a lot of 60+ voters who'll vote for Joe because he's not Trump, but he's lived through the same period and changes as he has and emerged , more or less, on the side of the good guys (compared to Trump.)
                                          Excuse me, Joe Biden is much more dangerous than Trump. He is just as racist and much more competent so will be more effective at passing damaging legislation. Trump is mainly all talk, Biden is talk and action and has been on the wrong side of practically every race based initiative of the last 50 years.

If Obama didn't have him as the VP (to appease white racists) nobody would be taking him seriously, this is mass incarceration Biden.

Comment

The past, and how it's interpreted, is of little consequence. For the Democrats It'll come down to who can beat Trump. Period. Right now I think Biden looks the best bet to do that, personally I like Warren better but I think Trump will eat her up and spit her out in little bubbles. So far no one younger has emerged (they may yet) who looks capable of taking him down.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno
                                              Biden is leading in the polls, last I heard, so the negative reaction may be a bit of an echo chamber at this point.
                                              But that's just solely based on memories of Obama. He hasn't done anything since 2016. We'll see what happens once he actually starts campaigning and saying things.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                The past, and how it's interpreted, is of little consequence. For the Democrats It'll come down to who can beat Trump. Period. Right now I think Biden looks the best bet to do that, personally I like Warren better but I think Trump will eat her up and spit her out in little bubbles. So far no one younger has emerged (they may yet) who looks capable of taking him down.
                                                Disagree, in politics your past is of massive consequence and will be dregged up continuously and used to eituee elate or deflate you. You saw how turned off black people were by Clinton when she became associated with mass incarceration. Biden can be easily associated with that and be labelled a segregationist.
                                                He won't be able to mobilize either the black vote or secure enough of the white vote to topple trump

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno
                                                  Biden is leading in the polls, last I heard, so the negative reaction may be a bit of an echo chamber at this point.
                                                  Keep decieving yourself.

Comment

Some Grade A smearing of Bernie Sanders here.

The media's corporate owners clearly consider this guy a threat to their tax-free bonuses.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X