Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Twitter is treading a very debatable line right now. Not to say it isn't really funny watching a bunch of free marketeers get pissed off about a corporation doing whatever it feels like.

    Comment


      Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
      Twitter is treading a very debatable line right now. Not to say it isn't really funny watching a bunch of free marketeers get pissed off about a corporation doing whatever it feels like.
      I assume you're also thinking about the NY Post story. I agree, it's a really debatable area that Twitter and Facebook are in right now, trying to limit the spread of an article that like it or not, is from a major newspaper. If false/misleading information in a newspaper could be spread without control on a social network and they fear the consequences, then it seems that the very purpose or model of the site should be questioned rather than making yourself be a voluntary ombudsman/editor of someone else's publication.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Incandenza View Post

        I assume you're also thinking about the NY Post story. I agree, it's a really debatable area that Twitter and Facebook are in right now, trying to limit the spread of an article that like it or not, is from a major newspaper. If false/misleading information in a newspaper could be spread without control on a social network and they fear the consequences, then it seems that the very purpose or model of the site should be questioned rather than making yourself be a voluntary ombudsman/editor of someone else's publication.
        Very well summarized - yes, that was what I was referring to. If their founders hadn't already made billions from putting themselves in this exact position I might feel a little sorry for them - there really is no way to win without outsourcing the decision making to a regulatory body.

        Comment


          It shows that Zuckerberg et al have created a monster that they've lost control of and, of course, it's their own fault.

          The simplest answer would be for them to say "Hey, this is our website, on our servers. If you don't like it, go start your own social network. See how that works for you. Oh, what's that? Murdoch already bought MySpace and took a bath on it? Yeah, well. Free market, bitches."

          But they won't do that. They want to make everyone happy, which is, of course, impossible.

          I don't know, but I have a feeling the current supreme court is going to make it impossible to regulate social media for many years.

          Comment


            What are people's thoughts on Ice Cube apparently having conversations with the Trump campaign and the blowback this has caused.

            Comment


              Trump has survived a lot....he'll survive this.

              Comment


                Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                What are people's thoughts on Ice Cube apparently having conversations with the Trump campaign and the blowback this has caused.
                He'd probably be better off trying to get approval for his Contract from Congressional leaders, rather than tying himself explicitly to Trump - as things stand, his current approach will probably fall in 19 days, whereas Congress is generally more open to bipartisanship.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

                  He'd probably be better off trying to get approval for his Contract from Congressional leaders, rather than tying himself explicitly to Trump - as things stand, his current approach will probably fall in 19 days, whereas Congress is generally more open to bipartisanship.
                  Interesting you should say that.
                  He reached out to both parties, the Democrats told him they were happy to discuss with him After the election the Republicans at least gave him an audience and then the Democrats tried to shame him for talking to them.
                  Who are the congressional leaders you refer to BTW, do you have any names?

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

                    Interesting you should say that.
                    He reached out to both parties, the Democrats told him they were happy to discuss with him After the election the Republicans at least gave him an audience and then the Democrats tried to shame him for talking to them.
                    Who are the congressional leaders you refer to BTW, do you have any names?
                    What is the basis for this viewpoint? I hadn't even seen the story and when I looked it up (WaPo was the top article), their claim is that both parties reached out to him, one wanting after the election and one before.

                    Whichever way, this is very much a low level story in the month before the election.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

                      What is the basis for this viewpoint? I hadn't even seen the story and when I looked it up (WaPo was the top article), their claim is that both parties reached out to him, one wanting after the election and one before.

                      Whichever way, this is very much a low level story in the month before the election.
                      I'm not sure what viewpoint you are referring to.

                      As the Democrats need the urban vote to guarantee wining the swing states like Florida, Pennsylvania etc fobbing off Ice Cube and then criticising him might not be a wise move. There are a bunch of democrat trolls out there trying to organise a cancel event.
                      Because the mainstream media are downplaying it does not mean it isn't resonating.
                      Brings to mind this Malcolm X speech
                      https://youtu.be/T3PaqxblOx0

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

                        I'm not sure what viewpoint you are referring to.

                        As the Democrats need the urban vote to guarantee wining the swing states like Florida, Pennsylvania etc fobbing off Ice Cube and then criticising him might not be a wise move. There are a bunch of democrat trolls out there trying to organise a cancel event.
                        Because the mainstream media are downplaying it does not mean it isn't resonating.
                        Brings to mind this Malcolm X speech
                        https://youtu.be/T3PaqxblOx0
                        It was - in part - that Ice Cube in that story did not seek attention from either (else he would own the timetable). One considered it a post-election item, the other pre-. In that reporting it isn't as though they fobbed him off at all.

                        How confident are you that the Democrat trolls are Democrats and not just social engineering trolls trying to create disruption? There is always smoke on twitter if you go looking for it, but it appears to be fire a lot less often.

                        It seems quite often that you find the exact smoke you are hoping to find.

                        Comment


                          Savannah Guthrie was good.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

                            It was - in part - that Ice Cube in that story did not seek attention from either (else he would own the timetable). One considered it a post-election item, the other pre-. In that reporting it isn't as though they fobbed him off at all.
                            He published his agenda a while ago (July/August) for the sole purpose to seek attention from the dominant society for what (In his opinion) are the wants and needs of Black Americans.
                            As for the Democrats considering this a post election item. Do you really think they will be calling him to have a serious discussion if they win the election, I don't know you personally, but I have read enough of your posts to know you are way too smart to fall for that one.
                            If this was a Latino agenda, an LGBT agenda or a Jewish agenda, and the people were out in the streets demonstrating, I have a strong feeling the Democrats will not consider this a post-election item. I am open to be persuaded otherwise.

                            How confident are you that the Democrat trolls are Democrats and not just social engineering trolls trying to create disruption? There is always smoke on twitter if you go looking for it, but it appears to be fire a lot less often.
                            That's a fair point. I am not a big consumer of social media, I have hardly posted on FB since my dad's funeral in 2012, I don't use twitter and as you know 99% of my IG is workout videos. I'm no expert, but the abuse I have seen are from him talking to the Republicans which gave the impression there is a political bent to the abuse.

                            It seems quite often that you find the exact smoke you are hoping to find.
                            Heh, OTF more than fulfils my smoke quota for the week. This is probably why I don't need social media.

                            Comment


                              Tactical Genius That is all fair - as I tried to be clear, I haven't really followed the ins-and-outs of what Ice Cube has been up to and how the timeline has worked. It does seem the level of blow-back for speaking to one the two major political parties to look to move their agenda forward *should* they govern for the next your years is unfair.

                              As for the social media aspect, I have become very doubtful about a lot of the outrage I see on that platform. The last quote was intended somewhat more general also, rather than directed at you. Any time I hear something and think "I bet XYZ is getting triggered by this" it is almost certainly on twitter. And then none of the profiles seem to look real on further inspection. It is a horrible platform.

                              Comment


                                Trump tweeted an article from the Babylon Bee, a not particularly well-done right-win satire website, presenting it as actual news.

                                Comment


                                  Comment


                                    P Diddy forming a party now:
                                    https://www.complex.com/music/2020/1...ur-black-party

                                    Bit late, innit?

                                    Comment


                                      Or early

                                      Comment


                                        Sobering

                                        https://twitter.com/EllenBarryNYT/status/1317798157170900995

                                        Comment


                                          He will always be Puff Daddy to me.

                                          Comment


                                            Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

                                            Yes, indeed. Dispiriting stuff though, decent chap though he was, KVA had obviously bitten off a lot more than he could chew. That wasn't a fight for a political novice.

                                            Comment


                                              Without counting any chickens:

                                              https://twitter.com/ElectProject/status/1317828580651487237

                                              Comment


                                                A couple of local friends who are US citizens have yet to receive their mail-in ballots.

                                                Comment


                                                  This was why we applied for our ours in August

                                                  There are over 10,500 separate jurisdictions that "run" elections in this country

                                                  Comment


                                                    I think Stevie applied back in June and he's been calling weekly since late August. He's registered in North Carolina and has been living here since the late sixties, so is aware of potential problems. The mail between Canada and the US is FUBAR at present, it can take weeks, even for a standard letter to arrive.

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X