No announcement yet.

Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lenin and Stalin were fairly deranged, to be fair.

Comment

Yes but Stalin had a system underpinning that was robust enough to defeat the Nazis; admittedly built on genocide and terror.

Comment

YouGov has started polling Biden v. Pence, as well as Harris v. Pence. I guess they did the latter because they feared blowback if they thought that Trump could die or be incapacitated and didn't do the same for Biden. Pence did slightly better than Trump against Biden but was still behind, and was just narrowly behind Harris.

Comment

https://twitter.com/electproject/status/1313107747647500290

Comment

https://twitter.com/timjhogan/status/1313135243470278657

Comment

Biden continues to get good polls in Arizona.

Comment

"He is battling it head on as toughly as only President Trump can..."

Are these people aware of the sheer shit they are spouting?
                Last edited by Sporting; 05-10-2020, 18:53.

Comment

Yes, their compensation depends on it.

He's busting out at 18h30 this evening

Comment

https://twitter.com/digby56/status/1313189521778003970

Comment

TV on all the time, no chewable food.

What would be different?

Comment

They'd need to let Trump win at bingo.

Comment

Only a century since it happened with Wilson.

Comment

That reminds me that I've been to the city in Georgia where FDR died, and that "Roosevelt's declining physical health had been kept secret from the general public." You could excuse the latter given there was a world war raging and morale was a huge issue.

The fact that Wilson took five years to die (1919-1924) might be an omen, although Wilson was only 67 and medical care has obviously moved on since there. I'm not sure if a POTUS has died in the WH after being discharged from hospital; they would prefer the FDR route of dying away from the workplace (although Trump does not really "work").
                            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 05-10-2020, 21:58.

Comment

Arguably, Wilson’s wife was our first female president. She was running things.

Comment

So the VP debate Wednesday night will have Harris and Pence 12 feet apart, with plexiglass between them.

What the hell is the commission going to do about the presidential debate next week, though? I can see Trump refusing to share his test result with them, and refusing to be tested by the Cleveland Clinic.

Comment

I sort of figured he'd say the proposed rule changes were 'unfair' and so he wasn't going to show up. It actually never occurred to me there'd actually be a second one.

Comment

Trump is in a particular bind here.

He needs the debates because he's losing horribly and needs to change the narrative and the debates are one of the very few ways to do that.

Trump was piss poor in the last debate and his cunningly brilliant ruse to get under Biden's skin and make him stutter totally failed. He basically shouldn't do debates

Trump needs to show up at the debate clear headed and full of energy to prove that he was right to discharge himself from hospital and show that he's utterly crushed the virus

If Trump shows up at the debate in the state that most people - particularly old people - are 2 weeks into a covid diagnosis, he'll be a bit incoherent, and very out of breath, and really struggle to stay standing for 90 minutes.

Trump needs a negative public test, too, to show that he's beaten the covid

Trump can't risk a positive public test, for the same reasons.

Comment

Now Pence is apparently saying that he refuses to have any plexiglass near him.

Comment

Plus this insult to everyone's intelligence

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1313539081419329539

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                          Does Mother worry that it's sexually tempting?

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                            Fine. They can have the debate between Harris and a cardboard cut-out of Pence. The difference between that and the real thing will be negligible.

Comment

The GOP isn’t in a position to refuse demands here, no debates while the President infects the entire White House and probably goes back to the hospital is just fine for the Democrats. The “Covid is a Chinese lie” crowd isnt enough to win an election, especially since otherwise right wing seniors are probably taking it more seriously. If those poll numbers going around about seniors are true, Trump is completely fucked.

Comment

[I]https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1313561424250187776[/I]

Comment

Cocktail of painkillers and steroids making his judgement even worse than usual? Or none of his advisors willing to be in the same room as him and so not able to change his mind?

Comment

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1313574918689259530

Comment

Working...
                                                    X