Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
    I was at a christening with Martin O'Malley. I wasn't told who he was. Ah the joys of living in Galway.(Apparently he thinks that Tommy Carcetti is about as realistic a figure as Omar escaping assassins by jumping out a tenth floor window)
    1. In the show, it was the fourth.
    2. The writer said that the real life character he based Omar on, plus corraborating statements say it actually happened, except it was done from the sixth floor.

Comment

I can’t see Warren as a serious candidate, not after she fell for Trump calling her Pocahontas and proved him to be, quite frankly, substantially right and pissed off all of Indian Country in the process.

She’s a front row, brings the teacher an apple on day one nerd and Trump eats those people for lunch. She’s also nowhere near as left as her acolytes think she is, and that will be badly exposed if the alter kaker runs (Ron Howard voice: he will).

Comment

This thread is showing the last post to be from NHH at 09:15 (my time, so 17:15 UK time).

Comment

And it is defaulting to that post as the last, even after I posted my last one.

Comment

So who is the supposedly solid, dull one, who inspires nobody, sees off the insurgents painfully slowly, gets the nomination, and then fritters away the poll lead by November? And what is the issue that will undermine him/her ("well qualified, can reach across the aisle, if only s/he hadn't mishandled the press conference about his/her niece employing a Guatamelan gardner")?

Comment

Literally whoever gets chosen from the massive field is going to be described by some people as an uninspiring turn-off who's not sufficiently left-wing/radical.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/1085315359853498368

Comment

Fuck the fuck off. Democrats be Democrating.

Comment

2-1 her nanny is undocumented.

Comment

1000 Euro says that that is not a problem for Gillibrand.

Comment

Heheh I defer to The Collective. She seems wildly uninspiring but.

Comment

No one who would inspire you is electable in this country at the moment.

Comment

There is that.

Comment

This also applies in Ireland.

Comment

If Bernie wasn't Larry David drying his underwear on a radiator there might be him, but fuck the gerontocracy.

Comment

I refer you to my post #31 on this thread.

To be fair, I don't actually know a whole lot about Gillibrand. She does seem to have tacked leftwards-ish as the popular wind has blown that way, but that is true of almost all of the possible candidates.

My "handicapping" on the previous page is bound to shift dramatically as the race goes on, of course. I already wonder if I've ranked Warren to highly - she's not quite Biden and Sander's age, but she's getting up there, and I think that'll make some Democratic primary voters a little wary.

Comment

I've met Gillibrand, and find her personally impressive, but she wouldn't be my first choice. Her support among finance types (who hate Warren with the passion of a thousand suns) troubles me.

That said, I'm not sure who would be my first choice if we had a primary tomorrow.

Comment

Taibbi argues, surely correctly, that we should just ignore traditional "electability" criteria:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...bility-774196/

Overthinking has been a Democrat fault that produces dull, safe candidates who are no longer going to win elections that are decided by clickbait contests. Certainly don't play nice but at the same time don't insult the opponent's base ("deplorables", etc).

Bernie is a mystery to me. A dull, earnest speaker who only seems fresh to Americans because they are not used to hearing genuine left-wing ideas from US Senators. He pushed HRC close but she was a shit, toxic candidate even in her own party below the establishment Dems.

Comment

Are elections decided by clickbait contests? We have a sample of one, at the moment.

I agree with you about Bernie. The support he gets is weird.

And, to reply to Ursus's comment, I think if I were voting in a primary tomorrow, I'd probably vote for Kamala. I've been impressed every time I've seen Klobuchar, but I'm not yet sure she has the charisma needed.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                          There's a candidate called Garcetti? Please tell me he's the mayor of Baltimore
                                          Do you remember Gil Garcetti, the District Attorney of Los Angeles who prosecuted the OJ case? Eric is his son.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            I've met Gillibrand, and find her personally impressive, but she wouldn't be my first choice. Her support among finance types (who hate Warren with the passion of a thousand suns) troubles me.

That said, I'm not sure who would be my first choice if we had a primary tomorrow.
                                            I would have to work on forgiving her for what she did to Al Franken before I could vote for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                              And it is defaulting to that post as the last, even after I posted my last one.
                                              This new forum does weird stuff like that. The other day it was happening on the Mundane thread for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                                If Bernie wasn't Larry David drying his underwear on a radiator there might be him, but fuck the gerontocracy.
                                                Ahem!

Comment

As I understand it, Gillibrand was right about Franken. I don't know what there is to forgive. Unless I'm missing something, Gillibrand said Franken should resign, and Franken should have resigned, no matter how good he was as a Senator.

Comment

I don't want to start a debate about whether Franken was actually guilty or whatever, but it always seemed to me that the accusations against him were trumped up and exaggerated and conveniently timed to create maximum embarrassment to one of trump's most outspoken critics. It's going to take some doing to convince me that it wasn't a right wing hit job. And instead of maybe critically examining the evidence and considering that it might be a political attack, she just went ahead and convicted him. And also, I just don't really like her.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X