Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Interesting note in an aside in that Vanity Fair article, about how blacks dropped from a 60-40 split in favor of the Democrats being just more popular than Eisenhower to something close to a 90-10 split under Goldwater. While putting it all on a single fulcrum is probably reductionist, that's a big signpost on how the "party of Lincoln" because the party of overt white supremacism.

    Comment


      Jackie Robinson, who was a Rockefeller Republican before 1964, famously walked away from the Republican Party after the convention (held in San Francisco!*), calling it akin to a Nuremberg rally.

      *well, the Cow Palace

      Comment


        Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        The Democrats brought a butter knife to a gunfight with automatic weapons in Florida
        The main thing I remember about that was even Pat Buchanan himself said it was perfectly clear that all those people in Palm Beach Country who voted for him by accident really meant to vote for Al Gore. And yet he still got given the votes in the end.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
          Jackie Robinson, who was a Rockefeller Republican before 1964, famously walked away from the Republican Party after the convention (held in San Francisco!*), calling it akin to a Nuremberg rally.

          *well, the Cow Palace
          I have very fond memories of going to dog shows at the Cow Palace. Was that the convention where there was an aborted plot to sneak in and coat surfaces with LSD?

          Comment


            Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

            For the record, these legions of African Americans you speak of exist in the realm of Minotaurs and Unicorns. Or you are mistaking Jesse's Jackson with the Honourable Minister Farrakhan?
            https://nypost.com/2000/11/14/jesse-...-off-at-rally/

            https://greensboro.com/jesse-jackson...06207e888.html

            https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-chaos/616255/
            Last edited by WOM; 14-09-2020, 02:57.

            Comment


              Let’s hope. Otherwise, Tonka and I may be coming to live in your yard.

              Comment


                The Beatles played the Cow Palace.

                I think, from memory of reading Taylor Branch's work, that the 1964 GOP Convention was the first one in which black delegates were racially abused by white southerners in the manner you'd have expected of a Democratic one. This abuse increased when Reagan began his campaign in California basically as a GOP clone of George Wallace, especially after Watts. Reagan made Goldwater seem moderate. Nixon took notes from Reagan, I'm sure.

                Jackie Robinson became an LBJ cheerleader IIRC, which eventually pushed him to the right on foreign policy when he became a critic of Muhammad Ali's Vietnam stance.
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 15-09-2020, 09:54.

                Comment


                  https://twitter.com/laurahelmuth/status/1305872977741754372

                  Comment


                    Hahahaha,

                    I wouldn't rely on those publications.
                    I think my work over the last year has proved they have no idea what they are talking about with regards to black people.

                    Jesse Jackson has never had a pull big enough to mobilise large numbers of black people. He is the guy the dominant society wheel out to calm down the Negroes when they get vexed and uppity.
                    Hence why white people love him so much.

                    Your first link had him appearing in West Palm Beach with an angry mob of 3000 people. And judging by the wording of the article, it wasn't something he organised. He is good at turning up at other peoples events to speak but never organises his own.

                    You may be impressed with 3000 people. but 5 years earlier, the Honourable Minister Farrakhan on his own brought the best part of a million black men to DC.
                    Even Khalid Muhammed got double the number of kids out for the Million youth march in Harlem two years earlier.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

                      Hahahaha,

                      I wouldn't rely on those publications.
                      I think my work over the last year has proved they have no idea what they are talking about with regards to black people.

                      Jesse Jackson has never had a pull big enough to mobilise large numbers of black people. He is the guy the dominant society wheel out to calm down the Negroes when they get vexed and uppity.
                      Hence why white people love him so much.

                      Your first link had him appearing in West Palm Beach with an angry mob of 3000 people. And judging by the wording of the article, it wasn't something he organised. He is good at turning up at other peoples events to speak but never organises his own.

                      You may be impressed with 3000 people. but 5 years earlier, the Honourable Minister Farrakhan on his own brought the best part of a million black men to DC.
                      Even Khalid Muhammed got double the number of kids out for the Million youth march in Harlem two years earlier.
                      Okay, so I post a comment....you tell me I'm talking out my ass...then insinuate that I can't tell my Black leaders apart....then I post not one, but three links that say the same thing...and it's still not good enough.

                      sigh......

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by WOM View Post

                        Okay, so I post a comment....you tell me I'm talking out my ass...then insinuate that I can't tell my Black leaders apart....then I post not one, but three links that say the same thing...and it's still not good enough.

                        sigh......
                        No need to play the victim, you made a bold statement giving the impression Jesse Jackson had the ability to mobilise large numbers of black people.
                        I am not the only person to express surprise at such a statement.

                        One link says Jackson spoke at a protest of 3000 people. It does not say Jackson organised or mobilised 3000 people. I cannot open the second link and as for the third........
                        He doesn't have the pull you claim he has, this is why he only turns up to talk at other events and the media spin it like it is his movement.

                        They did this with MLK with the Montgomery bus boycotts and the march on Washington.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                          It does not say Jackson organised or mobilised 3000 people. I cannot open the second link and as for the third........
                          Let me finish this bizarrely unfinished sentence for you. "...it supports exactly what you posted, WOM, nothing more and nothing less. It says "Al Gore, the Democratic nominee, specifically discouraged Jesse Jackson, the veteran civil-rights leader, from organizing public protests to demand a full counting of the disputed ballots."

                          Comment


                            https://twitter.com/USA_Polling/status/1306293900647301125

                            The key question here is whether Trump is succeeding in associating BLM with civil unrest, and if so, how can Democrats counter the move while still remaining fully supportive of the movement?

                            Comment


                              61 forms of voter suppression (you can probably add a few)

                              https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...th+website.pdf

                              Comment


                                Trump retweets allegation that Biden is a paedophile (projection?)

                                https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...action-vpx.cnn

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by WOM View Post

                                  Let me finish this bizarrely unfinished sentence for you. "...it supports exactly what you posted, WOM, nothing more and nothing less. It says "Al Gore, the Democratic nominee, specifically discouraged Jesse Jackson, the veteran civil-rights leader, from organizing public protests to demand a full counting of the disputed ballots."
                                  If you want to believe what the white media says about black people or what the Tactical Genius says is entirely up to you WOM.

                                  I think I have establish a long time ago I know more than these excuses for news outlets. for those who continue to think otherwise, I can only apologise.

                                  Comment


                                    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                    61 forms of voter suppression (you can probably add a few)

                                    https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...th+website.pdf
                                    The university of Georgia seems to know which side its bread is buttered

                                    https://twitter.com/kevinjonheller/status/1306435887488593922?s=21

                                    Comment


                                      Hmm

                                      https://twitter.com/AndrewHClark/status/1306235450898747393?s=20

                                      Comment


                                        I thought that the Biden team were explicitly not having a ground game anywhere, because of Covid and that they don't have anyone knocking door-to-door in the traditional sense. It's possibly a big story generally, but it's not Michigan specific, and it's not because of Clinton-like complacency.

                                        Comment


                                          This doesn't prove much, but I've noticed the ratio of Biden to Trump signs in my town is about 30-1. Of course, just outside of town it's more like 1-1 or maybe 1-2, sadly.

                                          It's somewhat heartening because I don't recall nearly so much enthusiasm for Hillary. It suggests that Biden may be doing more in Pennsylvania than she did.

                                          It also lets me know that, if a civil war happens, I'll have friends I can work with.

                                          The bad news of all that is it just shows how our political divide has become completely unmoored from proper class considerations. People who are being fucked by capitalism are voting for Trump and the people in my neighborhood, a large portion of whom make over $100,000 a year and don't need government health insurance, are voting for Biden.

                                          It's about education, innit? And I don't really mean that in the sense of "Oh those people who didn't go to college are dumb," because, in my experience, the level of dumbness in a person does not actually correlate very well to their educational attainment level.

                                          That's not it at all. It's that people who didn't go to college don't see how they or their kids can make it in the future economy, so they're just trying to vote, vainly as it will turn out, to bring back the economy they imagine we had in the 1950s. Of course, that's an inherently racist fantasy.

                                          The people who don't see a future for themselves or their kids in this economy but also know that the 50s were not actually better (and won't return anyway) voted for Bernie or Elizabeth Warren. But hopefully they can see that Biden is 1000X better than Trump, regardless.

                                          Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 17-09-2020, 18:29.

                                          Comment


                                            Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                            This doesn't prove much, but I've noticed the ratio of Biden to Trump signs in my town is about 30-1. Of course, just outside of town it's more like 1-1 or maybe 1-2, sadly.

                                            It's somewhat heartening because I don't recall nearly so much enthusiasm for Hillary. It suggests that Biden may be doing more in Pennsylvania than she did.

                                            It also lets me know that, if a civil war happens, I'll have friends I can work with.

                                            The bad news of all that is it just shows how our political divide has become completely unmoored from proper class considerations. People who are being fucked by capitalism are voting for Trump and the people in my neighborhood, a large portion of whom make over $100,000 a year and don't need government health insurance, are voting for Biden.

                                            It's about education, innit? And I don't really mean that in the sense of "Oh those people who didn't go to college are dumb," because, in my experience, the level of dumbness in a person does not actually correlate very well to their educational attainment level.

                                            That's not it at all. It's that people who didn't go to college don't see how they or their kids can make it in the future economy, so they're just trying to vote, vainly as it will turn out, to bring back the economy they imagine we had in the 1950s. Of course, that's an inherently racist fantasy.

                                            The people who don't see a future for themselves or their kids in this economy but also know that the 50s were not actually better (and won't return anyway) voted for Bernie or Elizabeth Warren. But hopefully they can see that Biden is 1000X better than Trump, regardless.
                                            A US workmate said Pennsylvania is Pittsburgh in the west, Philly in the east and Alabama everywhere else, is there any truth to this.
                                            This people who hark back to the 1950's have a nostalgia for Jim Crow and segregation, where there was a more formalised glass floor where white people will not fall through and a glass ceiling non-white people will not rise above.
                                            Biden not going out and pressing the flesh is going to cost him. Trump has clearly mobilised his support whilst Biden is still searching for his.

                                            Comment


                                              https://twitter.com/jackmjenkins/status/1306727615437381632

                                              Comment


                                                It is a spiritual war. He’s on the wrong side of it.

                                                We are screwed.

                                                Comment


                                                  A number of faith communities are going to experience a reckoning over the last four years.

                                                  It won't be terribly visible to people outside those communities, but that doesn't mean that it won't be significant.

                                                  Comment


                                                    Absolutely. The megachurches appear to be Ponzi schemes that can’t grow forever.

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X