Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

Voters who are actually concerned about mental fitness for office are not going to vote for President Bags Of Soup. People using the mental fitness excuse to pollsters will probably have already decided to go for President Choking On A 3 Foot Putt.

Yeh, but Biden's and Trump's cognitive deficiencies aren't really the same. The former often sounds sleepy-slurry but, apart from the occasional "moment," tends to deal with points in a fairly logical way. He can also be quite articulate. The latter usually comes across as more focused, committed to his line of argument and he enunciates much more clearly than his rival, but his words aren't even on nodding terms with truth, accuracy and logical progression. He's also just about the most inarticulate individual I've ever come across and, as TAB said, seems to have a vocabulary of about 400 words.

How you regard them in terms of their mental acuity will be heavily influenced by your acquaintance with facts and perhaps how much you care about them.

Oh, and for FWIW here's my view on the election. I saw an interview with a young guy in the South a couple of years ago. Trump was the general point of the discussion. The interviewee said something like he wasn't particularly a fan of the President but that he'd had three pay rises in the previous 18 months. I thought that was sort of the nub of it. All of the stuff about Trump, the lies, incompetence, grift, sheer nastiness and so on, will be secondary to peoples feeling of financial comfort and job security. Biden needs to clearly point out the connection between Trump's general incompetence, but particularly in relation to his handling of the coronavirus crisis, and it's impact on the economy and jobs.

Comment

"has acknowledged having consensual relationships with students but has said that he has never had an inappropriate relationship with a student of his"

This really does sound like 'sex with students, but not his students'. The wording is pretty structured. As I usually point out, it would have been so easy to say 'I never had any inappropriate relationships with students ever' if that were the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
        Not one student has said that they had a relationship with him, consensual or otherwise.
        No, but he said it.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
          "has acknowledged having consensual relationships with students but has said that he has never had an inappropriate relationship with a student of his"

This really does sound like 'sex with students, but not his students'. The wording is pretty structured. As I usually point out, it would have been so easy to say 'I never had any inappropriate relationships with students ever' if that were the case.
          Which is not prohibited by the university, otherwise half the faculty and quite a few of the admins would be in big trouble.

Comment

So, yesterday's worrying Emerson poll is a lot less worrying today, because a massive slew of polls got released, and at least some of them were respectable pollsters, and they reflect Trump basically getting no Convention Bounce, and no Kenosha Bounce. If Biden's going to lose this, the polls still have to move to get there. He wouldn't be losing if the election was today.

Comment

Cuomo goes full Scorsese on Trump's ass.

“He can’t have enough bodyguards to walk through New York City”....Forget bodyguards, he better have an army if he thinks he’s going to walk down the streets in New York."

Comment

Just to be clear, this is Chris, the CNN personality, not Andrew, the Governor

Comment

This quote from a Kennedy campaign post-mortem is so delicious:

Kennedy advisers concede that the campaign should have gone negative earlier and defined the incumbent while his polling numbers were low. But the campaign also blamed the press and the left wing of the party for giving Markey a free pass to reinvent himself.

"This goes to show you that the left doesn't do their homework and they're easily won over by bright shiny objects," said one Kennedy ally.

For a well-liked candidate accustomed to largely flattering coverage since his election to Congress — in 2017, for example, Town and Country magazine ran a feature on the congressman under the headline: "Meet the Next President Kennedy" — the inability to shape coverage came as a surprise.

Comment

The thing with Kennedy going negative earlier is that even when he did go negative, he did it really badly and came across as wet behind the ears. Not surprised at all to read the rest of those quotes, people with that level of entitlement in politics always blame the voters.

Comment

Originally posted by That Night In Barcelona View Post
                      The thing with Kennedy going negative earlier is that even when he did go negative, he did it really badly and came across as wet behind the ears. Not surprised at all to read the rest of those quotes, people with that level of entitlement in politics always blame the voters.
                      Absolutely, especially the searching for mean things people tweeted about him and demanding that Markey be held accountable for that. It was just so pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                        Just to be clear, this is Chris, the CNN personality, not Andrew, the Governor
                        No, it was Andrew:

The governor lashed out after the president threatens funding to "anarchist" cities.

Comment

Ah, I thought it came from the leaked tape of the conversation between Chris and Michael Cohen.

Apologies.

It is a rather strange comment from a governor, though.

Comment

In other news,

https://twitter.com/JeffreyGoldberg/status/1301634784448438272

Comment

I was about to link that article. Ordinarily I'd assume it was exaggerated but Goldberg's bona fides are solid. Trump has serious, serious issues but I guess we already knew that. How he can retain a shred of credibility as Commander in Chief of the US armed forces after that is beyond me.

Comment

The next two months are going to be even wilder than what we've already lived through

Comment

Military personnel might be willing to vote for Biden in much larger numbers than they did for HRC.

Comment

The Pentagon has ordered Stars and Stripes to cease publication. As it's been an independent voice* within the military for over a century, it might not be coincidental the order comes the day after Trumps reported views on dead and captured servicemen.

*Quite what that means within a military context I'm not sure.

Comment

One has to give the Orange One some credit for the Serbia-Kosovo entente, though as ever, the small print of the agreement will be key.

Comment

Very little meat in the sausage, however:

https://twitter.com/adriatikk/status/1301921349934428162

Comment

A Claude Rains level shock, that

Comment

This military story might keep running. Whose word are serving members, veterans and their families going to trust? I doubt Biden is going to just forget to bring it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                              This military story might keep running. Whose word are serving members, veterans and their families going to trust? I doubt Biden is going to just forget to bring it up.
                                              He has to turn up to bring it up.

Comment

Originally posted by That Night In Barcelona View Post

He has to turn up to bring it up.
                                                He has:

“I’ve just never been as disappointed in my whole career with a leader that I’ve worked with, president or otherwise,”... If the article is true, and it appears to be based on the things he said, it is absolutely damnable. It is a disgrace.”

Meanwhile AP and WaPo add some kindling: Trump on PoWs: “they had performed poorly and gotten caught and deserved what they got,” according to the
                                                Post.

Trump has also rescinded the termination of Stars and Stripes, mentioned above. Wonder why?

Comment

Seen on my travels today. So many thoughts about this...

Comment

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-troops-409082

Comment

Working...
                                                    X