No announcement yet.

Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't see any of them solving the Biden problem- which is that all of them (the ones i've heard of and I presume the ones I haven't)

would all better candidates than he would be- even if he wasn't facing plausible charges of serious sexual assault

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
      Article in The Atlantic this morning touting Janet Napolitano for Biden's veep. Any opinions?
      The first three letters of her surname - Joe needs his Naps.

Comment

Yeah. They'd all be better candidates than Biden. I'm not sure that's a problem, though. Biden doesn't want to be alongside someone more unelectable than he is - not for an election when he's 78 years old. I think most people voting for Biden in 2020 are working on the assumption that he reasonably might not make it through four years. Which means you can't have a Dan Quayle, Sarah Palin VP.

Comment

Isn't this a super sweet way to potentially pick the candidate for the next two elections, and avoid tricky primaries.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
            Yeah. They'd all be better candidates than Biden. I'm not sure that's a problem, though. Biden doesn't want to be alongside someone more unelectable than he is - not for an election when he's 78 years old. I think most people voting for Biden in 2020 are working on the assumption that he reasonably might not make it through four years. Which means you can't have a Dan Quayle, Sarah Palin VP.
            ...or indeed a Joe Biden VP

Comment

Hahaha! Genuine LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                "Joe Biden is Joe Biden"

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1255889096024690688?s=20

and Nancy Pelosi... is Nancy Pelosi
                That black guy behind Pelosi, he looks like Samuel L Jackson in Django unchained. you can tell he has That voice.

Comment

I see the Obama's are doing what they do best which is talking down and wagging their fingers disapprovingly at Black people.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...election-slap/

So it's black peoples fault Donald Trump won and not:

The democrats lacking a specific agenda for black people like they do for everyone else
                  Or all the racist white people who voted for Trump

Comment

Did Michelle just essentially say "after all we did for them"?

Comment

https://twitter.com/hotlinejosh/status/1259090733790887936

Comment

If that holds true, the plan of nominating a senile old man might have turned out to be a winner. This might be the year that exciting the youth would make no difference at all...

Comment

I would vote trump over a Biden/Harris ticket if forced to.

Comment

If that's the case, it's fortunate that you don't have a vote.

Comment

Indeed. I wouldn't vote for the architect of three strikes nor its chief implementer. To be honest, if I had three vote I wouldn't use it and I think an ever increasing swathe of the African American will be doing the same. Evidence of this are the likes of P Diddy changing his tune.

Comment

But Trump is aiming to make it impossible for many blacks to have a vote at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                  But Trump is aiming to make it impossible for many blacks to have a vote at all.
                                  I get what you say, however, It's a moot point if they have nothing to vote for as MLK once said. Yep, the same MLK the liberals like to quote ad infinitum whilst disagreeing with 99% of what he says.
                                  And voting for an arch Congregationalist Dixiecrat and his second in command who has a fundemental hatred for black people is not really the kind of guarantee you can take to the bank.

I have a question for you. Imagine you were black and a politician said,
                                  "You think I'm going to do something that is only going to help black people, Noooooo!!!"

Would you vote for them?

Comment

It would depend on their overall policies. If I am black and working-class, I am going to vote for Sanders from the list that started this year's campaign because financially I am massively better off and have much better employment rights. I'm not going to sit out Sanders v Trump over Sanders' reparations policies.

I'd vote for Biden while holding my nose. I'm better off under Biden than Trump, but my gains may be very marginal unless the Democrats also have the Senate and House and pressure on Biden to make real changes.

I also think having government-backed health insurance is a big deal if I'm working class black and that seems to be attainable under Biden but lost under Trump.

If you want to apply this to 2016, my main gain if I'm black in voting for Clinton might be that I wouldn't have a President openly promoting racism. Even if that's just a cultural difference, it makes a big difference to how I feel walking around, especially if I have teenage sons.
                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 10-05-2020, 21:07.

Comment

Fortunate for whom?
                                      There is a feeling the democrats are only interested in black people voting as long as they will put an X for the democrats on the ballot box and nothing else.

And your comment re-enforces that feeling (although I am prepared to accept that wasn't your intention).

Comment

TG, "lesser of two evils" voting in a two-party system clearly isn't your thing. To those who have accepted the reality if not the necessity of it, it suggests that you'd rather have the greater of two evils to spite the lesser. It seems like it would be better to describe a realistic alternative than lament the status quo.

Comment

You raise some good points there, let me address them.

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                          It would depend on their overall policies. If I am black and working-class, I am going to vote for Sanders from the list that started this year's campaign because financially I am massively better off and have much better employment rights. I'm not going to sit out Sanders v Trump over Sanders' reparations policies.
                                          In what way better off?
                                          Sanders outright told black people he will not do shit for them as it will be "too Divisive". He uses the usual duplicitous wordplay when bringing up issues, but the specific policies will disproportionately benefit white people, thus maintaining the racial wealth gaps.
                                          As for employment rights, he specifically promised to help illegal immigrants and give amnesty rather than deport them which will negatively impact African American job prospects who are their main rivals for all the shitty jobs, do you not agree?

I'd vote for Biden while holding my nose. I'm better off under Biden than Trump, but my gains may be very marginal unless the Democrats also have the Senate and House and pressure on Biden to make real changes.
                                          Joe Biden has done more than any other politician currently active in the USA to disenfranchise black people, from opposing integrated schools in the 1970's, being one of the guys being the crime bill of the 1980's that set the sentencing disparities between powder and crack cocaine as well as the 1995 crime bill and three strikes (aka Biden's law). He has proved himself as a senator much more accomplished at making black people's lives a misery than Trump has as president. Lord knows what he will do in the white house.

The Senate and house do not have a history or doing anything substantial for black people. Even the small wins have been hard fought, massively watered down and quickly rolled back. Even the congressional black caucus have proved themselves useless.

[quote] I also think having government-backed health insurance is a big deal if I'm working class black and that seems to be attainable under Biden but lost under Trump.

A bigger deal would be getting the race soldiers off our back or some substantial policies to address the racial health gap. A few more dress pills from the doctor in that medical apartheid system (which really cannot be trusted) isn't the difference maker you like to make out.
                                          That's the equivalent of sticking a knife six inches into you, pulling it out three inches and calling it progress (Malcolm X).

If you want to apply this to 2016, my main gain if I'm black in voting for Clinton might be that I wouldn't have a President openly promoting racism. Even if that's just a cultural difference, it makes a big difference to how I feel walking around, especially if I have teenage sons.
                                          A President calling black people horrible names is no different that the previous 44. Granted, he uses much cruder language but he isn't saying anything we are convinced most white people are thinking anyway.

Hillary, likes to kill and destroy Africans, her stint as the first lady and secretary of state proved her credentials. And she is the lady who described black men as Super Predators which coming from a white woman which would scare me if i had young sons (think Emmit Till).

Trump is not in Africa killing large numbers of Africans like under Obama/ Clinton 2008/2012
                                          White supremacists are actually going to jail under Trump in larger numbers than they were under the democrats.
                                          I don't see Trump signing blue lives matter laws.

Here is Biden's bait and switch policies for black Americans
                                          https://joebiden.com/blackamerica/

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                                            TG, "lesser of two evils" voting in a two-party system clearly isn't your thing. To those who have accepted the reality if not the necessity of it, it suggests that you'd rather have the greater of two evils to spite the lesser. It seems like it would be better to describe a realistic alternative than lament the status quo.
                                            You are missing the point, Biden has not proved he is the lesser of two evils when you compare the policies side by side.
                                            When given power, he has demonstrated to have used it more effectively than Trump against black people.

Rather than us going round in circles, please list the Trump policies that are comparable to Biden and Clinton. And i am talking hard policies, not twitter posts or stump speeches etc, but hard policies, laws.

i'll wait........
                                            Last edited by Tactical Genius; 11-05-2020, 15:47. Reason: fixed important typo that has been quoted so it makes more sense

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius
                                              Granted, he uses much cruder language but he isn't saying anything we are convinced most white people are thinking anyway.
                                              There's something to be said for this. I grew up a foreigner, albeit a white European one, which brings some advantages of course. For example, I could walk down the street and blend in, which can't be said for Surinamese people in the Netherlands. But nevertheless, I lived the experience of being an outsider. I also often thought to myself that much of the time the main difference between, say, Mark Rutte and Geert Wilders is just the crudeness of the language. Wilders appeals to your working class racist who wants somebody to assure them of their place in society, whereas Rutte appeals to the more educated. Then you have people who are appalled by both Wilders or Rutte, but vote for left parties like the Greens and Labour. Those are the type of people who are absolutely outraged at any form of racism, but would still never hire me for a job over a less qualified Dutch person (hence I live somewhere else). So at the end of the day, at least with the racists with crude language, you know where you stand from Day 1. Actually the few companies that have hired me in the Netherlands tended to have been run by people who make crude comments regarding people's backgrounds (including my own), but hired me based on my CV anyway. The problem there is they then made be do work that was below my level. But, hey, at least they gave me a job. But the well educated, sensible, leftist Dutch? They wouldn't even look at my CV.
                                              Last edited by anton pulisov; 11-05-2020, 15:24.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

There's something to be said for this. I grew up a foreigner, albeit a white European one, which brings some advantages of course. For example, I could walk down the street and blend in, which can't be said for Surinamese people in the Netherlands. But nevertheless, I lived the experience of being an outsider. I also often thought to myself that much of the time the main difference between, say, Mark Rutte and Geert Wilders is just the crudeness of the language. Wilders appeals to your working class racist who wants somebody to assure them of their place in society, whereas Rutte appeals to the more educated. Then you have people who would never vote for either Wilters or Rutte, but vote for left parties like the Greens and Labour. Those are the type of people who are absolutely outraged at any form of racism, but would still never hire me for a job over a less qualified Dutch person (hence I live somewhere else). So at the end of the day, at least with the racists with crude language, you know where you stand from Day 1.
                                                Nailed 100%.
                                                I agree with every single effing word.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

You are missing the point, Biden has not proved he is the lesser of two evils when you compare the policies side by side.
                                                  When given power, he has demonstrated to have used it more effectively against Trump against black people.
                                                  Okay, if that's what you think, fair enough.

Comment

That's a bit of a cop out Bruno.

Lay out their policies side by side and if there are more on the Trump side, i will happily fall back.
                                                    If Trump is as clearly more evil as you believe, it should be a simple exercise, Right?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X