No announcement yet.

Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This over-eggs the situation a bit (and ignores the likliehood that Jones will lose and others might), but there is going to be more of a fight than thought earlier in the cycle

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1235313256497139722

Comment

Warren is dropping out.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
        Warren is dropping out.
        The Guardian piece on this has an interesting way of describing her recent use of Super Pacs.

It was blow from which she unable to recover despite a fundraising surge last month and field organizations in more than 30 states.

Comment

Originally posted by That Night In Barcelona View Post

The Guardian piece on this has an interesting way of describing her recent use of Super Pacs.
          Can't wait for that FEC data to come out.

Comment

Warren twitter currently quite angry at how she has been failed by voters because she's a woman.
            I look forward to their endorsement of Tulsi Gabbard.

Comment

The spin seems to be that HRC's 2016 car crash ruined the chances of a woman winning in 2020.

Comment

It's quite depressing how superior in every way she is to our doddering frontrunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Freestyling buck wilding Stijn Stijnen View Post
                  Warren twitter currently quite angry at how she has been failed by voters because she's a woman.
                  They're not totally wrong though are they? (the twitteratti I mean.)

Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 05-03-2020, 17:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                    The spin seems to be that HRC's 2016 car crash ruined the chances of a woman winning in 2020.
                    If Warren had the same backers as HRC, then she'd be the Chosen One instead of Joe Biden.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                      It's quite depressing how superior in every way she is to our doddering frontrunner.
                      Where do you think it went wrong for Warren?

Comment

As anton just suggested, I assume establishment support was a factor. I also think her changing stance on healthcare hurt her at the wrong time and she didn't recover momentum.

Comment

Only one ethnic minority candidate left in the race now.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

If Warren had the same backers as HRC, then she'd be the Chosen One instead of Joe Biden.
                            That was never going to happen, though, given that she is a threat to the large donor base.

It was also extremely difficult for her to overcome Sanders' name recognition and (more importantly for me) the real organisation that he has built over the last four years.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

They're not totally wrong though are they? (the twitteratti I mean.)
                              The main comments I've seen made is what many consider to have been posturing and grandstanding when refusing to shake Sanders hand at one of those there debates, in addition to the saga of her native American claims, which I've just discovered involved deleting the results of an ancestry test that she'd initially tweeted as a sign of triumph. I didn't delve any further, but didn't she only make that claim in order to gain a prominent position at a university?

Comment

I'm wondering why Sanders and Warren didn't buddy up from the start.
                                The more I read, the more I think that was a missed opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Freestyling buck wilding Stijn Stijnen View Post
                                  I'm wondering why Sanders and Warren didn't buddy up from the start.
                                  The more I read, the more I think that was a missed opportunity.
                                  Yeah, but the PFJ can't be working with the JPF.

Comment

Buddying up has never been Bernie's style

Warren checked the box because she had been raised to believe that she had "Indian blood". Harvard has repeatedly made clear that it never gave her an advantage of any sort.

Comment

She had a notable drop-off in support after accusing Bernie of misogyny in one of the debates. That seemed to draw a lot of criticism from the left and the centre (on Twitter at least), and apparently the idea behind it had come from the ex-Hilary staffers on her team, perhaps unsurprisingly.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        Buddying up has never been Bernie's style

Warren checked the box because she had been raised to believe that she had "Indian blood". Harvard has repeatedly made clear that it never gave her an advantage of any sort.
                                        That saves me a bit of googling, cheers.
                                        It's something that can be spun one of many ways. what did stand out, past the expected Trump troupe using it to skewer her was genuine upset among the native american community, which led to a tour of sorts where she apologised unreservedly.

Comment

Originally posted by That Night In Barcelona View Post
                                          She had a notable drop-off in support after accusing Bernie of misogyny in one of the debates. That seemed to draw a lot of criticism from the left and the centre (on Twitter at least), and apparently the idea behind it had come from the ex-Hilary staffers on her team, perhaps unsurprisingly.
                                          Yes, and many seem to think that was done at a point where results could have gone either way between those two, and was seen as a calculated move. I don't know if that happened around the time of handshakegate, but that's been cited.

Comment

I'm seeing it said that Sanders had a large drop off of the youth vote between the early votes compared to super Tuesday... Has anybody heard owt similar?

Comment

Do you mean early voting for Super Tuesday or the earlier contests like Nevada?

Here's a general piece on his struggle to get young people to actually vote:
                                              https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...16/4947795002/

Comment

It boggles the mind how these peccadilloes are so far out of proportion with the shit Trump got away with.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  Do you mean early voting for Super Tuesday or the earlier contests like Nevada?

Here's a general piece on his struggle to get young people to actually vote:
                                                  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...16/4947795002/
                                                  What I find odd about this piece is that it doesn't mention the five to seven hour voting queues at college campuses. I'm not saying that explains the difference but it bears mentioning.

The laissez-faire attitude of the US media regarding outright voter suppression is unbelievable.

Comment

Those certainly had an impact in places like Los Angeles and Harris County (Houston), but they weren't universal.

I have not, for instance, seen any reports of such issues in Virginia.

That said, it is extremely important to be aware of the many structural impediments that depress the youth vote in this country (difficulties in registering, problems associated with moving, the dearth and variability of polling places, "Voter ID" issues, etc.)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X