Someone Has To Do It: US Elections 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
    And of course, those motherfuckers with the Native* American guy, had previous at their basketball games.

*Should this be capitalised? Because I feel if so, then all races should be. Or is it just all races that use a place name, eg African American, but not, white?
    I thought that was the fault of the Black Hebrews?
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/relig...=.29ecc10121c2

Much like it's Minister Farrakhan's fault for the attack on the Synagogue and Kevin Hart's jokes for all the Homophobic attacks of the last 10 years.

Comment

Kevin Hart SHOULD be held responsible. For being utterly shit.

Comment

This is a good article about the controversy around the Native American nations.
        https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e-creek-nation

Comment

Yep. My history of Native American slaves is entirely informed by Mary McDonnell in "Dances With Wolves", and I wish I were joking.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
            There's a thing here that seems to run through all of these stories, and they have to do with a lot of American politicians being super old, and growing up a long time ago when all sorts of completely unacceptable bullshit were completely normal for a surprisingly large number of white people. I mean my heart nearly fell out of my arse when I watched Trading places for the first time since the early nineties, and saw Dan Ackroyd wearing blackface, and that was in 1983, in an Eddie Murphy Vehicle.
            Trading Places is the one that ends with a celebration of male-rape-by-Gorilla, isn't it? The 80s really were a fucking shit decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
              And of course, those motherfuckers with the Native* American guy, had previous at their basketball games.
              In fairness, I think their team colours were black and it is possible some of them simply wanted to take their commitment to the team to an extreme. Perhaps. You get the same thing (occasionally) at All Blacks games. Probably always done by people with limited awareness or sensitivity. However innocent (or just plain ignorant) the motive, it is startling stupid thing to do and terrible 'optics' as they say.

EDIT - Does one have to go out of one's way to be fair to privileged, Catholic school white boys? Is that taking British Fair Play a bit too far?
              Last edited by Lurgee; 08-02-2019, 22:08.

Comment

Maybe I am old, but sorry Lurgee, my answer to your edit, is "Fuck, no".

I was a white catholic schoolboy, and I am fairly sure that I didn't reenact the Black & White Minstrel Show when I played for my school team at anything. Nor did either of the fans (yeah, I mean two of them.). Admittedly, in those days, I can think of about 5 non-Caucasian* kids in my year, and that was a fair average for our interaction with other schools.

But, and I say this in all seriousness, it would never ever have occurred to me, to do something like that. I've said it before, but we didn't need racism. We had religious bigotry available.

*Is that word problematic, because I have got funny looks in the States from using "Oriental", because Asian means something else to me.
                Last edited by Gerontophile; 08-02-2019, 22:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurgee View Post

In fairness, I think their team colours were black and it is possible some of them simply wanted to take their commitment to the team to an extreme. Perhaps. You get the same thing (occasionally) at All Blacks games. Probably always done by people with limited awareness or sensitivity. However innocent (or just plain ignorant) the motive, it is startling stupid thing to do and terrible 'optics' as they say.

EDIT - Does one have to go out of one's way to be fair to privileged, Catholic school white boys? Is that taking British Fair Play a bit too far?
                  "[color] out" games like that are quite common at sporting events here. I've never seen people painting themselves all white for "white out" games, or others donning blackface for "black out" games, apart from Covington.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurgee View Post

Trading Places is the one that ends with a celebration of male-rape-by-Gorilla, isn't it? The 80s really were a fucking shit decade.
                    Those two things basically happen one after the other, and up until that, I was thinking about how well it had stood up for something from 1983.

If you want to see stuff that hasn't aged well, Eddie Murphy's stand up shows are pretty grim. You just want to take him to one side and tell him that he's now told enough Gay jokes to ensure that no-one is going to be surprised when he gets pulled over cruising Transsexual prostitution hangouts in 10 years time.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post

"[color] out" games like that are quite common at sporting events here. I've never seen people painting themselves all white for "white out" games, or others donning blackface for "black out" games, apart from Covington.
                      Does this mean that if your team wears blue, you paint yourself like a smurf?

Comment

Best part of Trading Places is when Eddie Murphy breaks the fourth wall for a moment when the Dukes are explaining finance to him like he's an idiot. That look gets me every time.

Comment

Comment

Amy Klobuchar is in.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              Amy Klobuchar is in.
                              After voting to oppose free speech. I know nothing about her aside from the fact that she was one of the Dems who voted to promote apartheid and silence opposition to it. But what more do I need to know? Nothing. She can fuck off.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1094932043845255169?s=21[/URL]
                                https://twitter.com/burgessev/status...845255169?s=21

Comment

Do we know anything of Klobuchar's record as a prosecutor? Is she as dodgy as Harris or not?

All the reports of her mismanagement of staff coming out right now feel very much like one of her opponents is briefing very hard against her.

Comment

I can't take 21 more months of this

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1094956686236962821

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                      I listened to that. She has been forced to address black people by name (finally) but apart from helping households earning less than $100k

Did everyone hear the comments by OTF's favourite American politician on meet the press. The more I hear her voice, the more I don't like her.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

After voting to oppose free speech. I know nothing about her aside from the fact that she was one of the Dems who voted to promote apartheid and silence opposition to it. But what more do I need to know? Nothing. She can fuck off.
                                        Meantime I see more Dems getting called to question for being on the other side of that vote. It is quite dis-spiriting.

Comment

I don't have the energy to try to describe the Ilhan Omar story.

Comment

Same

Comment

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1095080391084523520

Comment

Is the story something like "paid lobbyists are horrified that somebody has pointed out that they're paid"?

Comment

It's more that politicians who have been taking large amounts of interest group money for decades are SHOCKED! and APPALLED! at the suggestion that money plays a role in politics.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

I listened to that. She has been forced to address black people by name (finally) but apart from helping households earning less than $100k

Did everyone hear the comments by OTF's favourite American politician on meet the press. The more I hear her voice, the more I don't like her.
                                                    Who is it and what did she say?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X