Hillsborough Trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hillsborough Trial

The trial starts today of David Duckenfield and Graham Mackrell over the Hillsborough disaster. The Liverpool Echo is providing live updates from the court room. Please be careful what you say on this thread as anything said online could compromise the trial and after 29 years we don't want the case to collapse due to what's been said here or anywhere else on the internet. The link to the trial is here:

Two men charged with offences linked to the Hillsborough tragedy due to start today

The jury in the Hillsborough trial have been told by the judge he will accept a majority decision but not less than 10-2

Ninety-six people were killed in the disaster at the FA Cup semi-final in Sheffield in 1989.

Comment

I am still really not able to say anything I want to say, not until it's over.

Comment

Is there a possibility this could go to a retrial?

Comment

If the judge is directing that he can accept a majority decision, then yes, there is clearly a chance of a hung jury. Judges don't give such instructions without cause and over a day of deliberations has passed since he allowed this, and still no verdicts.
          Last edited by Janik; 02-04-2019, 17:04.

Comment

If the jury are unable to return a verdict then what happens next? Where there be a retrial, or will that be it? Given that Duckenfield has already been tried once, will he be tried yet again?

Comment

Breaking news:

Jury fail to agree a decision on Duckenfield

Graham Mackerell of Sheffeild Wednesday found guilty of breaching his safety duty

The jury has now been discharged
              Duckenfield, 74, denied the gross negligence manslaughter of 95 Liverpool fans who died in the disaster at the FA Cup semi-final on April 15 1989
              Last edited by Paul S; 03-04-2019, 11:32.

Comment

Reporting restrictions are still in place and only the verdicts may be reported. This is because the prosecution are to seek a re-trial of David Duckenfield.
                Last edited by Paul S; 03-04-2019, 11:41.

Comment

Solid report from David Conn

Comment

The CPS had to be moreorless forced into prosecuting this, so I was concerned that they would try and argue that they couldn't present a more convincing case than they just have so doing it all again would be a waste of money. Probably not to the point of being brazen enough to say 'not in the public interest' but trying to get to the same point in other words. But no, they appear to understand that this is something they have to pursue.
                    The defence will fight a retrial happening tooth-and-nail, of course.

Comment

It wouldn't be the first time that prosecutors only began to believe in a case after they had been dragged kicking and screaming to bring it.

Comment

Cunts.

In which case the club could not be charged because that company exists only on paper, but an insurance policy it took out could still pay for the legal representation to contest the club or Mackrell being held liable for the disaster.
                        Wednesday’s then safety officer, Graham Mackrell, has been convicted over the disaster but the club, to the families’ despair, is immune to prosecution

Comment

Originally posted by NHH View Post
                          Cunts.

eh?

Comment

Where did the quote go?

How, if they're a continuation of the previous enterprise, sold on to the next management, not regarded as a continuation of said enterprise?

Stands in the way of all logic surely?

Comment

Originally posted by NHH View Post
                              Cunts.

And Sheffield City Council for licencing what was demonstrably a death trap to any right thinking individual

And the FA for allowing said death trap in the eyes of any right thinking individual being used as a venue.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                Where did the quote go?
                                The new board doesn't appear to allow hierarchical quotes, just first order ones.

Comment

Yeah, that's a bit annoying at times.

Comment

That Conn story is also a grim testimony to how the financial restructuring of English football clubs in the 1990s - motivated solely by greed and short-term recklessness - can reach its tentacles back into the tragedies of the past. Fucking disgusting.

Comment

FWIW (and I know neither I nor any other Wednesday fan is being asked to give an opinion, but somehow I feel like I need to) I definitely think the club should be charged. And take whatever punishment might come about as a result of that charge, even if that was being wound up.

It was noted, I think in Conn's book, that Mackrell didn't resign over the Hillsborough disaster, but then a few years later after he'd moved to West Ham he did resign over that club fielding an ineligible player and subsequently being kicked out of the League Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                        The new board doesn't appear to allow hierarchical quotes, just first order ones.
                                        Sorry for my ignorance, but what are hierarchical quotes?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Sorry for my ignorance, but what are hierarchical quotes?
                                          I am quoting your post here, but the post that you were quoting does not appear in my quote. If you see what i mean.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

I am quoting your post here, but the post that you were quoting does not appear in my quote. If you see what i mean.
                                            Yes.

Comment

Not guilty.

So that's that then. I can't see where it goes from here.

Comment

There are more trials planned in the spring. Those standing trial are accused of things like perverting the course. It is with regards to evidence given in the first inquest.

Comment

The trial that was due to begin in April has been put back to next year.

The trial of three men accused of altering police statements after the Hillsborough disaster has been postponed.

Former police officers Donald Denton and Alan Foster and police solicitor Peter Metcalf are charged with perverting the course of justice.

Preston Crown Court heard they were due to be tried on 20 April, but the case has been delayed until next year.

Ninety-six people died as a result of the 1989 stadium crush in Sheffield.

Former police match commander David Duckenfield was cleared of gross negligence manslaughter following a retrial in November.

Mr Justice William Davis said a decision to delay the forthcoming trial - set to last three months - was taken because Mr Foster's wife was seriously ill.

He said the defendant's wife has motor neurone disease and requires almost constant care from him, and there was no reasonable option but for Mr Foster to continue to act as his wife's carer.

He said for a fair trial, if possible, all three defendants should be tried together.
                                                  Two ex-policemen and a lawyer accused of altering statements will be tried in 2021, a court hears.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X