• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the end of all time as we know it…

Closer to 2038 than Y2K

https://twitter.com/tomscott/status/1083023988211757057

Did anyone else know this?

Oh, I remember Y2K. Chaos on the streets, no water or food (except for the wise heads who stocked up their nuclear shelters). It was such a nightmare!

Comment

I still remember ten million computers blowing up in people's faces.

As for 2038, I'll probably have copped it by then anyway.

Comment

The only reason it wasn't chaos was because a great many people spent a great deal of time and a great deal of money making sure it wouldn't be.
        I doubt that sort of concerted investment of time, money and person power would be possible anymore, given how society is. So in 2038 it'll be way out the window.
        2038 won't affect desktop computers - they're all 64bit these days. But given that banks and governments routinely use 16bit and 32bit legacy systems even now, I can see some unexpected serious disruption. Not planes falling from the skies type of stuff. More defence, welfare and health systems crashing catastrophically.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
          The only reason it wasn't chaos was because a great many people spent a great deal of time and a great deal of money making sure it wouldn't be.
          I doubt that sort of concerted investment of time, money and person power would be possible anymore, given how society is. So in 2038 it'll be way out the window.
          2038 won't affect desktop computers - they're all 64bit these days. But given that banks and governments routinely use 16bit and 32bit legacy systems even now, I can see some unexpected serious disruption. Not planes falling from the skies type of stuff. More defence, welfare and health systems crashing catastrophically.

no-deal brexit might run it close.

And this time, we don't know what end result we need to achieve.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
            Quite. I do wish that this would be widely acknowledged.

Comment

Nothing's being done to prevent far greater disasters - the only difference is that this one has a definite date and time stamp.

But I do kinda feel, as per JW above: I am likely to be dead in 2038 and have no kids so fuck it.

Comment

Working...
              X