There's no moment so tense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as the moment you flip your fried egg over in the pan.

then scoop/spoon/flick some hot oil on it first to give yourself a better chance

Comment

I was hoping "flipping your egg" wasn't a euphemism before GVB's post. Now I'm just concerned.

Comment

That wont ease the tension.

As it was, this morning's egg was perfect. But next time will I be so lucky?

Comment

If you do the flickyscoop method, you dont need to turn it.

*I do anyway, just for the tension

Comment

'Flickyscoop Method' sounds like a new rain-induced scoring system in cricket

Comment

Over easy is just wrong.

Comment

Why in the name of all that's holy would you flip a fried egg over and presumably harden the yolk? Is this the "over easy" I have heard and shuddered about?

Comment

Yes, and I do it (occasionally) because there is nothing worse in a fried egg than viscous albumen slopping about on your plate/sandwich. You dont leave it long enough for the yolk to harden, only to have a thin white film over it.

Comment

That's the best bit.

Comment

what? runny albumen? You may as well just eat the egg raw.

Comment

Ah, but runny fried eggs on white bread as a sandwich are a perfect cure for a hangover, you get the fat to calm your stomach down and the protein to boost you up.

Comment

Indeed, eggs must be wet. Especially scambled eggs.

Comment

You want your yolk runny in a full English breakfast, so you can dip your sausage in it.

Comment

I am not disputing the runny yolk part, or indeed (slightly) runny scrambled eggs, but NEVER a runny fried egg white.

If I want a raw egg, I will have a prairie oyster.

Comment

Runny white? Fucking hell, that's wrongness that goes beyond even a hobbesian level.

Comment

Tell them, TT, they arent taking a blind bit of notice of me.

Comment

Ooh fuck. Runny egg white is enough to put you off eggs forever.
                                    Oh and ram it TonTon.

Comment

Nothing intrinsically wrong with runny eggs (apart from the salmonella aspect of course), only like eating raw meat and calling it Steak Tartare (rather like Prairie oysters!) it's just a matter of taste (or not!)

Comment

Actually I'm not that bothered about runny whites, rather, if there's still some runnyness there when the rest is done, I'm not gonna start cocking about flipping if over.

Comment

Depending on the level of greasyspoonery of the breakfast establishment, I will send a runny egg back IF, and only if, they have asked me how I like it done (which rarely happens in builder/taxi driver places, so I usually opt for scrambled, which lets down the whole experience considerably as I have nowhere to dip my toast or sausage (fnarr)).

If its a hotel, it goes back. If they then send it out again with a hard yolk, they have just cooked the same egg a bit more, so it goes back again. I wont fucking stand for it, RIGHT???

(ooo that feels better)

* I may be overreacting to this a little, sorry.

Comment

If you tip your frying pan, you get a mini-deep fat fryer, which ensures a lovely even cook all round. People shouldn't think of runny white as like rare stek; more chicken snot. And who wants that on their plate?

For that hotel feel, place a plate over a bubbling pan of boiling water, crack your egg onto the plate, then place another plate ontop of it upside down. About 5 minutes later, you will have something that looks like a fried egg, but has the consistency of a boiled egg, health fans.

And since we're on it, anyone who has a tip for poaching which involves vinegar, swirling etc is just doing too much fannydangle. NHH's method is:

1) Line a small cup with clingfilm

2 Crack egg into cup

3) Gather cling film and remove from cup; twirl the top of the cling film to seal the egg in. Knotting is fine here

4) Pop in pan of boiling water; cook

5) Take out clingfilmed egg, cut open cling film - one perfectly poached egg. Bosh.

Comment

I found a way to make perfect fried eggs without breaking the yolk, and it doesn't involve flipping it over at all.

After allowing most of the egg white to cook until it's pretty much solid, I take the lid from a small saucepan and place it in the frying pan, covering the egg. The steam that gets trapped inside does the rest of the work.

Just keep an eye on it and remove the lid when the egg looks the way you want it to.

There is nothing better than runny egg yolks on toasted bread! My grandmother used to call it "soppy" (as in, "dip your bread in the soppy"). I miss that woman.

Comment

Fair shout, hobbes.

JtS - how would you manage to cook an egg so the yolk was done and the white was runny?

Comment

Define "done"

Comment

Working...
                                                  X