So the awkward first "stay at mine" date then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Stripe isn't just for people from the Caribbean.

I know but don't forget that in Canada (except Québec) beer and liquor sales are pretty much a government only business (there are a few private beer and wine retailers but they have to buy through the LCB.) This means selection is way skimpier than it would be in the US or Europe. Bringing in Red Stripe would mean moving something else off the shelves and, given the number of local micro-brews, I imagine there just isn't the demand for it (or Mickey's.)

Comment

I didn't know that beer was sold at state stores in Canada.

Comment

And now I get to use the most over-used phrase in Canada...

"it depends what province you're talking about".

Comment

Same here with states, especially when it comes to the sale of alcohol. Confuses everyone.

Comment

With all due respect to my Westerner friend...

Yes, liquor, wine and beer is sold through Liquor Control Board (LCB) stores outside of Quebec. But selection is hardly skimpier for it. That exact issue is raised each time the privatization/corner store debate rears its head. LCB has a selection that's far wider than most private operations (in the US, say) simply due to the fact that they're not 'constrained' to only carrying products that sell in profitable quantities in a competitive marketplace. As well, they'll generally get hold of anything you ask them to. We can get Mickeys and Red Stripe here, and have for years.

What's more, in Ontario, beer sales are handled (almost) exclusively through The Beer Store (formerly Brewer's Retail): a retail operation owned 49% by Molson, 49% by Labatts, and 2% by Sleeman. As well, a broad selection is part of their mandate.

Wine sales are primarily through LCB or private importers (catering to restaurants, etc), but there are a variety of 'grocery store' or boutique wine shops, usually carrying just a few Ontario brands.

Comment

Perhaps I should have said inconvenient rather than skimpy. In BC skimpy though certainly applies to our local LCB outlets, which over the past couple of years have all reduced their stock drastically in order to improve accessibility (wider aisles, lower shelves etc.) There are (count 'em) two "specialty" LCB's in Vancouver where I might be expected to find Red Stripe, the closest to where I live is a forty minute drive away. I can't speak for the US but in my experience a decent sized British supermarket or offy has a greater selection of beeer, wine and spirits than than the average BC LCB. There is no equivalent to Brewers' Retail out here.

Comment

Bummer, Amor.
                LCBO has made great strides in broadening their selection over the last ten or so years. Mainly, of course, in response to privatization threats. They have a wonderful selection of imported beers. What's neat is the Lakeshore LCBO in Toronto, which carries at least one example of anything carrying the CSPC code. If you can't get it there, you can't get it anywhere.

Comment

(Rogin: Congratulations - I'm glad you must be feeling so good right now. I hope it goes really well for you.)

Comment

So what is the next logical step for Rogin and his new special friend (my grandmother's term)? A weekend away?

Comment

The range at the local alko monopoly is pretty good, but it is expensive and not open when you want to buy beer. I just moved house, and my local alko now closes at 6pm on weeknights and 4pm on Saturdays, and is closed all day Sunday.

I wrote to them suggesting they have a more convenient (and honest) wine display, like the Swedish systembolaget does. In Alko the wine is arranged by country, as if national preference is the most important factor for people wanting to get drunk. In Sweden they have a big sign indicating the 5-10eur shelves, the 10-15eur shelves and so on in 5eur increments. They do separate 'red' and 'white', which is all I and most Finnish people need really.

Comment

Having shopped for beer and wine in Ontario, I'd say "skimpy" covers it pretty well, to be honest, except (as you say) for local microbrews. I remember trying to get a bottle of Hermitage or Saint-Joseph (or something, anything, from the Northern Rhone) one Christmas, and the incredibly snooty and annoying guy from (if you please) "Vintages" (which we drove across town to get to) tried to fob me off with Chateauneuf-du-Pape (which as we all know, is from the Southern Rhone). Tchah.

Put me down as a free market man on this one.

Comment

I'd say "a weekend away", yeah. That's what I'd do, anyway.

Did we ever find out what happened with the photos of the ex?

Comment

Working...
                          X