Black Pudding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Pudding

OK foodies, what's the dealio with black pudding? I made a fry-up the other morning and very nearly bought some black pudding to go with it. I was only put off, I'm ashamed to say, by my squeamishness at the thought of it.

So is it worth a go? What does it taste like? Is it nice or nasty?

I can hardly believe I've got to 27 without trying black pudding.

Black Pudding

It tastes like a dry sausage. I like it.

Comment

Black Pudding

I can't believe it either. It's very nice. You can eat it without 'cooking' it with raw onion(as it has already been boiled). It's very nice. I suspect that it is one of those things that is very different in england to Ireland though.

Comment

Black Pudding

What is 'white pudding'? I get that the black one is black cos it is made up of blood (although, how? does blood go solid when you cook it?) but what is white? Lard? Bits of brain? Guts?

Comment

Black Pudding

Yeah, a bit underwhelming, from what I can remember. We always used to have it with fry-ups when I was little, so I never had the whole "Eugh, it's got real blood in it" thing to put me off.

Comment

Black Pudding

It's delicious and highly lacking in anything good for you. It is perfect for a fry up.

Comment

Black Pudding

I think there is barley in it, so that is pretty good for you.

Comment

Black Pudding

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_pudding

Comment

Black Pudding

Haggis is very nice as well. I think I ate about four of them along with 4lbs of turnips over the course of the week after the last burns night.

Comment

Black Pudding

This thread has led me to read the wiki entry for 'full breakfast'. Jesus. My mouth is wetter than Gigg Lane in January.

I so know what I'm having for dinner tonight.

Comment

Black Pudding

Black pudding is really nice, it has no particularly bizarre taste, goes very well with egg yolk and is very filling.It's popular all over the continent too, although not for breakfast. Try it with apple puree and spatzle (a kind of egg pasta but you won't find it in the shops here, fresh "Troffie" at Sainsbury's are a decent substitue that you can find where they keep fresh pasta)

I'm equally fond of white pudding and haggis.

Comment

Black Pudding

Black pudding is extremely yummy, and I dont want to know whats in it (I have a very good idea, thanks)

Alternative thread title: There will be blood.

Comment

Black Pudding

Black pudding, white pudding and haggis are three of the most delicious foodstuffs ever invented.

That is all.

Comment

Black Pudding

I had haggis in Edinburgh and still remember it as one of the nicest things I've ever eaten. However, no one over here believes me when I tell them this.

Comment

Black Pudding

Haggis is marvelous stuff. My old flat mate brought one home one burns night (I presume he caught it himself.) I was very wary to say the least, but try anything once, I thought...

Comment

Black Pudding

Black pudding is fantastic.

The best is the one they make in Clonakilty in West Cork. Also some smashing cheeses down there.

Lyra - I'm not sure, but it does. It's a useful way to thicken sauces, actually.

Comment

Black Pudding

Black pudding is indeed a wonderful thing although the old adage about sausage ("you'd never eat one if you saw one being made") would certainly apply.

In Scotland a fortnight ago I ate haggis several times. It was gorgeous, as were the whole Border areas which I rather shamefully have to admit I had never visited before. Some of the most beautiful scenery imaginable a three hour drive away, too. I feel I've wasted a lot of time over the years.

Sorry, I digress. No thread hi-jack intended.

Comment

Black Pudding

White pudding with mince and tatties? Never!

Comment

Black Pudding

My favourite black pudding is from Bury. I find the Scottish/Irish ones a bit short on the essential greasy lumps of fat that I demand in fried blood sausage. Too much oatmeal/barley, perhaps.

Comment

Black Pudding

you can buy black pudding lean or regular fatty up north

i had haggis at my wedding

love the stuff

Comment

Black Pudding

Lyra - I'm not sure, but it does. It's a useful way to thicken sauces, actually.
                                          I didn't know that. Well, I guess I wouldn't. That's quite cool. Now I really fancy cooking some of my own blood to see what happens.

Comment

Black Pudding

Remember to remove it from your body first.

Comment

Black Pudding

Protein innit. When you cook/heat liquid protein it hardens/thickens (think eggs, milk etc).

I think you'd be better off with flour though lyra.

Comment

Black Pudding

I suppose blood is a bit like milk in that you could take it without killing the donor. if you took reasonable amounts at a time.

Comment

Black Pudding

Aren't you supposed to be some kind of northerner, Mr Stupid Pie Name Thingy?

Black pudding RAWKS.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X