Whitey Bulger pun shocker.

Couldn't be arsed making up a pun

Come on, where's your Bulger wit?

Comment

Comment

He was arrested in his Santa Monica apartment, which turns out to be three blocks from the ocean, and two blocks away from the Third Street Promenade, one of the biggest tourist attractions and which is heavily policed. He wasn't exactly in hiding, it seems.

Comment

Great news. What a ruthless evil fucker he is.

Apparently the FBI had trouble publicizing the case outside of Boston, so they focused on his girlfriend by advertising on shows that women, unfortunately, watch. Like Dr Oz.

I love stories like this. As I understand it, criminologists have concluded based on tons of data that the severity of punishment doesn't do as much to deter crime as the certainty of prosecution. So it's kind of great to think that no matter who clever you think you are, if you murder somebody, the long arm of the law is coming for you.

And it's great that they actually caught him rather than gunned him down Bonnie & Clyde/Osama Bin Laden-style.

Of course, it would be cooler if The Batman came in through a dark window to get him, said something totally bad ass, and then beat up six henchmen, but this will have to do.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/23/us/23bulger.html?_r=1&hp

http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrodesk/2011/06/federal-officials-discuss-capture-james-whitey-bulger-boston-today/yaoUfBrAlHSg7pQ8MrwxiI/index.html

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
            He was arrested in his Santa Monica apartment, which turns out to be three blocks from the ocean, and two blocks away from the Third Street Promenade, one of the biggest tourist attractions and which is heavily policed. He wasn't exactly in hiding, it seems.
            Well, if you want to hide, you do it in a crowd, not in some little town where you'd stand out like a sort thumb. Some old couple walking up and down a beach, maybe him with a beard and shades? He could wear a mug shot of himself on a t-shirt and still nobody'd make the connection.

I'm sure it'll be the focus on her that cracked it. Be nice to see someone collect on the reward.

Comment

Reed John wrote:
              And it's great that they actually caught him rather than gunned him down Bonnie & Clyde/Osama Bin Laden-style.
              If they wanted him dead, they should've got Robert Thompson and Jon Venables to do the job...

Comment

Thanks. I had to go and look up who Jon Venables and Robert Thompson are and now I'm traumatized.

Comment

Sorry. I was wondering if I'd gone too far.

Comment

The apartment they lived in:

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote:
                      Reed John wrote:
                      If they wanted him dead, they should've got Robert Thompson and Jon Venables to do the job...
                      Haha, you sick fuck.

Comment

I don't know who they are either, and not sure that I want to look them up.

Comment

Yeah, just let it go.

Comment

GO's allusion is the only thing "Bulger" means to me.

Comment

jaysus GO, if it wasn't your birthday, you'd be a very naughty boy.

Comment

The retired FBI shits who worked and helped Bulger conduct his business are the ones who woke up shitting in their pants this morning. Bulger will not to prison for the rest of his life without taking the FBI down with him. It's going to be a 9 month circus and there will be days when I can't stand to hear another story about it but when they start fingering the Feds, that will be fun.

Comment

I thought those Feds were already in jail for that. (See John Connolly ) Or are you suggesting that knowledge of what that higher-ups in the FBI were complicit in that? That might be true, but it seems unlikely that Bulger would know how many people at the FBI knew what was going on. He only communicated with a few agents, or so I thought.

The more messy situation could be with Billy Bulger, I imagine.

Coincidentally, I referenced that case on the "current viewing" thread on TV & Film, in reference to Intelligence and The Departed.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see if they can trace any of his funds back to his brother. That'd make the sparks fly.

Comment

I liked this, from the NY Times. You have to imagine it in the right accent:

Paul McGrath, 47, a union stagehand and Teamsters member, said he hoped that Mr. Bulger’s capture put an end to an era that he said had stained the neighborhood where he was born and raised.

“A lot of honest blue-collar people built South Boston,” Mr. McGrath said over a sandwich. “For one guy to jump in and capitalize on people’s misfortune, it’s a long time coming. Second only to the Stanley Cup.”

He added: “Not everyone here is a gangster. As soon as you say you’re from South Boston, the conversation stops because everyone, including the F.B.I., thinks you have the back of Whitey Bulger. ”

People glamorized Mr. Bulger and the stories surrounding him for too long, Mr. McGrath said.

“They make light of it, like ‘Where’s Waldo’ or drinking games,” Mr. McGrath said. “What about the victims? What about the generations of people who lived in fear?”

Comment

Connolly was at the bottom of the fbi food chain. There is no doubt that Bulger operated with the knowing and approval of many higher up the chain, who have so far avoided prosecution and probably thought they always would.

Reed John wrote:
                                        I thought those Feds were already in jail for that. (See John Connolly ) Or are you suggesting that knowledge of what that higher-ups in the FBI were complicit in that? That might be true, but it seems unlikely that Bulger would know how many people at the FBI knew what was going on. He only communicated with a few agents, or so I thought.

The more messy situation could be with Billy Bulger, I imagine.

Coincidentally, I referenced that case on the "current viewing" thread on TV & Film, in reference to Intelligence and The Departed.

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
                                          How much would that rent for, Inca?

Comment

Sure, they knew about Bulger, but I'm not sure that Bulger knew much about them. If Connolly didn't rat on them, I'm not sure what Bulger could offer that would help to convict them.

On the other hand, he's been on the run for 16 years. Who knows who might have been helping him during that time. Maybe we'll find out.

Comment

Scorsese.

Comment

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
                                                Incandenza wrote:
                                                How much would that rent for, Inca?
                                                Three blocks from the beach and close to the Promenade, I'm guessing a 1 bedroom with bare amenities would be at least $1800.

Have I been living under a rock? This is the first time that I've ever heard of this guy. I gather that he's been quite the focus in Boston for some time.

Comment

He was on the 10 most wanted list forever, but the fascination was largely regional. Somewhat similar to the Zodiac story up north, or maybe DB Cooper in the Northwest.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X