I wish I liked sea food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I liked sea food

i'm idly trying to work out how I can move to the south of France, just to pass the time, but I'm peturbed at the amount of sea food I'd have to eat.

I'm not so good with sea food. I'd really like to enjoy it, the varieites and flavours, and even the look of it appeals to me. It's just the taste that doesn't. Anything with a remotely fishy taste just makes me feel ill. My gf even made me vomit in a restaurant once because she didn't believe me when I told her.

Anyway. It's a shitter. Perhaps I'll move but pack a load of sarnies.

I wish I liked sea food

South of France would be a great place to be idle. If you ever get settled there, let me know and I'll come and idle with you for a while.

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

Oh, and aside from fish and chips, I can't stand seafood either. Luckily France affords you more than a few other good options.

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

We're thinking about moving to the South of France in a few years, fancy a brits 5-a-side team to take on the frenchies, Chris?

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

They do good chicken and chips in the South of France. I think they grill the chicken over vine wood or something.

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

It's the texture, as much as the taste. I was fed too many whelks when I was a child. Every time we went to the market with my dad, he'd buy a tub of whelks. I used to wolf them down; but now, they make me gag. It's like trying to chew a condom that's been marinated in vinegar. Probably.

Mashed potato makes me wretch, too, although I like the taste of that.

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

Oh, and aside from fish and chips, I can't stand seafood either.
              It's an Ontario thing. The wife's the same. You're a long way from the seaside.

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

EIM, why would you have to eat at all? I see you just drinking pastis all day and perhaps switching to absinthe on nights out.

And as Wyatt noted, there are lots of non-maritime options available. One could easily survive on cheese, olives and bread, for instance.

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

I want a fucking bourride and I want it now.

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

Sorry, that got away from me. Try daube Provencal, Eric's, it's a fantastic beef stew.

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

It's pretty hard to find anywhere to live that's by the sea where you're not going to be in seafood heaven. Or hell, as you would have it.

I think you've just not tried the right dishes, though. Yes, big blubbery lumps of squid slopping about on their own in olive oil are not to everyone's liking, mine included and I'm not a big fan of anything fried in batter, unless it's really, really lightly done, like a tempura.

But grilled sardines - especially done that way they do in the Med, with a rich sauce based on onions, capers and port - are amazing, and I've got a feeling that even you, Le Coq, would love lobster from the shell, again with the right sauce (nothing vinegar-based, from the sounds of it, you'd need something like a simple vegetable salad based on potatoes, tomatoes and herbs). The sheer animal instinct that is satisfied by cracking open lobster claws and extracting the meat (which is surprisingly robust for seafood, has the texture of a well-grilled lamb chop) is a pleasure in itself.

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

Cowboy up, EIM. You can't let a few icky giant insects stand in the way of your dreams of paradise. Just cos they're all slimy and bug eyed and covered in their own eggs and waving those long feeler things around. Those shell things always look to me like eggshell, those kind of splinters that crunch in your teeth and make you gag. Or the squelchy ones in shells full of all sand, scraped off rocks in what I'm sure are no longer sewage polluted areas - they might look like dollops of snot but I'm sure they must taste all right - one million French people can't be wrong eh.

Anyway just choose somewhere like Villefranche or any bit near enough to Italy to have lots of pasta and pizza and stuff around.

This is why I'm going to Switzerland, home of cheese and chocolate.

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

I can't be doing with mussels or oysters, but I adore just about every other seafood. Lobster is in my top 3 foods and rarely a week goes by without me having some crabmeat sushi.

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

Cape Town is a bit of a seafood heaven. If you know he right people, you can get lobster or abalone for next to nothing. Pity then that I despise the stuff.

I used to hate all fish except sole and pink salmon, but a swordfish steak or marlin is great. Best fish I've ever had was some creature from the waters in Madagascar. I forgot its name. Two identical words like Mali Mali or something.

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

The best fish is the red mullet.

Move on.

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

My top 10 seafood list (some of these names might be US-only names for fish with other names elsewhere):

In no particular order

1. Red River catfish
                                2. Rainbow trout
                                3. Salmon
                                4. Swordfish
                                5. Tuna
                                6. Red Snapper
                                7. Atlantic Cod
                                8. Shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico
                                9. Crawfish
                                10. Lobster

PT - You're thinking of Mahi Mahi.

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

I come from a large family, all of whom adore sea-food. Except for me. I'm not wildly keen on fish, but I positively loathe invertebrates...

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

You don't get many sports franchises named or nicknamed after invertebrates, do you? Rhinos, Wildcats, Pumas, Dragons, even Seagulls are proudly associated with sports heroes, but where are the Snails, the Prawns and the Limpets? I'd have thought benig named after the Giant Spider Crab would scare the bejesus out of most opponents, they're horrific just to look at (well I wouldn't want one in the bottom of my swimming pool):

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

There's the Hiroshima Toyo Carp, but of course that's not strictly seafood, what with being freshwater. But several of FF's list would lso have to go, on that criterion.

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

We're doing seafood top tens, then.

1. Prawns.
                                        2. Squid.
                                        3. Red mullet.
                                        4. Clams.
                                        5. Seabass.
                                        6. Turbot.
                                        7. Mussels.
                                        8. Dover sole.
                                        9. Crab.
                                        10. Kippaz.

I know, no lobster. What can I say: I like it, I just like other stuff more.

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

Rogin, I give you the Hickory Crawdads:

And if you want a major league club,The Tampa Bay Rays

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

Or the Florida Marlins, it occurs to me.

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

The saltwater/freshwater distinction is disregarded when people from Louisiana (and indeed the US in general) speak of seafood. It's a generic catch-all term for fish and shellfish and other edible aquatic lifeforms.

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

I'm not counting the big fish that kill people. There must be a "Sharks" in every major league in the world, somewhere. In English Rugby they're from Sale, and I can assure you very few Sharks get that far up the River Mersey without being caught and eaten by the people of Runcorn.

In fact very few passenger ferries get that far up the River Mersey without being caught and eaten by the people of Runcorn, but that's another matter.

Comment

I wish I liked sea food

I hate the word 'crawdad'.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X