Raising a genderless baby.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talking of stupid names, an Israeli couple have called their daughter Like, as in thumbs up on Facebook. What are their next kids going to be called? LOL and OMG?
    They already had a child that they called Pie because of their love of cooking. What a pair of knobs.

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote:
      Talking of stupid names, an Israeli couple have called their daughter Like, as in thumbs up on Facebook. What are their next kids going to be called? LOL and OMG?
      They already had a child that they called Pie because of their love of cooking. What a pair of knobs.
      Some [strike]slack-jawed yokels[/strike] Texas Panhandle residents and at least two other families have named their sons ESPN (pronounced "Espen"), after the sports channel.

Comment

I find myself unable to give a shit about this story. You know there are a fuck of a lot of worse things being done to kids by parents that don't get in the papers. At least these parents are putting a lot of thought into raising these kids.

They sound like the sort of bohemian hippy parents with kids with weird names that I used to take against but now I realise that I have probably turned into.

However I notice a couple of things. Firstly, this

“What we noticed is that parents make so many choices for their children. It’s obnoxious,”
        is very true especially after a mention about helicopter parents. My 11 year old goes to the skate park in the morning and I rarely see him until about 6 short of him coming home with some of his mates for lunch and when I go to the pub across the road from the park.

However, as I went to the skate park with him since he was 5, I know most of the kids there and I know the trouble ones and rather than say that he can't hang around with them (which means he would be at their side like a shot as that would make them exciting) I tell him to not to be with them when they are smoking joints and not to do any "favours" for them.

The other point is about homeschooling. I did some research into this and changed my mind about this. Initially, I thought this was weird but it is actually fairly well regulated. Also, if you aren't going to have everyone in a comprehensive, publicly funded, co-ed, universal free education system (which is my choice) why not allow home-schooling. If you are going to allow parents to opt out to go to church, private or free schools, you may as well go the whole hog and give the "parental choice" to home-school them.

It seems like madness to me but there again if you are going to say that schools can be run as well by churches, businesses and charities as they can by actual education professionals, why not let parents have a go as well. Who is saying that they will make a worse job than Reg Vardy?

Comment

Renart wrote:
          Sean of the Shed wrote:
          Some [strike]slack-jawed yokels[/strike] Texas Panhandle residents and at least two other families have named their sons ESPN (pronounced "Espen"), after the sports channel.
          That's like calling your kids 'Sky' in the UK

Comment

That must have happened though.

Emma Bunting called her newborn Tate, which makes me think it must have been conceived in the Tate Modern Members Room or something. Ew.

Comment

Or while watching Jodie Foster sob-fest Little Man Tate.

Comment

Or whilst eating mashed tates.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                  That is bloody superb.

Comment

Yes, fantastic.

Comment

Fourthed. Looks like someone else is indulging in some heavy displacement activities.

I am now going to get myself an ironic nude tattoo

Comment

Genderless baby mom responds to media frenzy.

Comment

Yes, Ginger Yellow's link is indeed absolutely ace.

I'm hesitant to comment on the rights, wrongs, misguidedness or otherwise of what is a venture with an uncertain outcome. I do find it strange that my nephews, two nieces and own daughter all fell very enthusiastically into their boy/girl roles without any obvious or conscious parental prompting. When I asked Alisha, my little girl, if she's share some of her Smarties with me, she told me that she would only give me the ones that were in "boy colours".

Comment

Bryaniesta wrote:

Nobody had told me, I thought of it myself. I guess it's hardwired into our brains when we are born.
                            Its really not.

As to the story, I dont give a toss. And TonTon, parents hardwire children by naming them, so...

Why is this news? Two people have a baby and decide not to tell anyone, other than the two previous children, anything? Well, it sounds like the parents have just given the biggest 'fuck you' to their previous children.

(myquote) 'all of our children are wonderful, but this one will be written about in ... well, I was going to say blogs, but, its now going to be eternity' (possibly).

I am only angry at myself for adding to this shitty thread, without reading everything first, and then saying stuff. If its the same story that I have heard, then, I have nothing to say. Hippies, parental or otherwise, should know better.

Comment

WOM: Fifthed. That was pretty great stuff.

Someone asked me, years ago (on here) about the 'Smuggler's Song', and I would direct them to that, because, learning is not about age!

Comment

Meh...

Fair play, I guess. Their kids are going to get chewed up and spat out by the real world, though.

Comment

Five years on...

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/07/11/baby-storm-five-years-later-preschooler-on-top-of-the-world.html

Comment

Unconventional family remains unconventional.

Progressive, multicultural city could care less.

Film at 11.

Comment

My head exploded just a little at the notion that it had been five years already. Hir grow up so fast...

Comment

Flynnie wrote: Meh...

Fair play, I guess. Their kids are going to get chewed up and spat out by the real world, though.
                                        Funny how your views change five years on. They'll be fine.

Comment

You may not set out to brainwash your kid but it is an inevitable side effect of parenting (unless you completely neglect them or outsource raising them to child minders and creches).

Comment

The thing I find most insufferable about these people is that they seem to really want the publicity. And that they've saddled their kids with the names Storm and Jazz.

It occurs to me that a seven-year-old's "self-identity" just isn't likely to last very long. When I was 7, I wanted to be a mountain climber when I grew up because I saw Grover do it on Sesame Street. Then I found out that wasn't really a job. And it's really tedious and dangerous. I also assumed I would live on the moon one day.

Kids are like that. They're exploring and learning things very fast.

In which case, if gender identity is in flux, then in what sense is it an "identity" at all? And if it isn't, then maybe its more accurate to say that prepubescent kids don't really have a gender - at least not in the same sense that adults do. Which is fine too.

I'm not sure it would make sense for schools didn't track kids sex and or gender and then let them pick week by week. Maybe "boys" and "girls" really are different in some ways important to education and/or having a classroom with an unbalanced population would mess things up in some important way. I'm not sure, but I don't think these people know either.

Comment

To truly be a progressive family, you have to name your kids after WNBA franchises.

I agree with loose cannon, you have to give those parents credit for being together and trying to raise their kids, but to hold their approach as some kind of progressive child rearing paragon is pretty misguided to say the least.

Comment

linus wrote: To truly be a progressive family, you have to name your kids after WNBA franchises.

I agree with loose cannon, you have to give those parents credit for being together and trying to raise their kids, but to hold their approach as some kind of progressive child rearing paragon is pretty misguided to say the least.
                                                The Jazz would be a WNBA franchise if it weren't already an NBA franchise. Alas.

I'm all for people creating identities that work for them, but these seem to be the sort of parents - the parents in the original article, not the Utah Jazz, I mean - that want their kids to think of themselves as special little snowflakes who deserve whatever they want - part of the "every kid gets a trophy" thing that we keep hearing about, except in this case, it appears they really are that way as opposed to just a third-hand anecdote that Trump supporters rail against on Facebook and in shitty sports page columns in third-rate newspapers.

Comment

Working...
                                                X