Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annoying New York Times articles

You have school holidays now?

That explains the Ontario plates and Quebecois accents that have suddenly materialized in our fair city.

Comment

Yup. Ye olde March break. A nation of stand-offish poor tippers heads south for a week's reminder of what heat and sunlight are all about.

Comment

I find that working and living alone has greatly enhanced the time I do spend with other people. When I worked in an office, I rarely wanted to go out after work. I was all out of words, I guess.

Comment

The article itself isn't annoying, but the people in it...parents obsessing over chemicals in baby products and in their household environment:

With one child, it was possible to keep track of every crayon and every barrette, said Sarah Lozoff, a 31-year-old doula and childbirth educator who lives in Los Angeles, Miami and Ashland, Ore. (Her spouse is a touring actor.)

But with two children — 4-year-old Naiya and 18-month-old Esme — junk seems to materialize everywhere. “You’re getting things in goodie bags and birthday parties,” Ms. Lozoff said. “Things aren’t always coming through you.”

And, she said, once you get a handle on one hazard, there’s always another. For instance, have you ever stopped to think about all the electromagnetic fields in a wired American home?

“I know several families in Ashland that don’t have wireless,” Ms. Lozoff said. “Or they only turn it on when they’re going to use it. They unplug everything at night. Or they take batteries out of their cellphones.”
          One of our friends knows someone who bought a Geiger counter to check their produce after Fukushima (of course, all of the produce is coming weekly from a CSA).

Comment

She'll be thrilled when the tsunami debris starts washing up near you in the latter part of the year.

Comment

Our friend is kind of a little out there herself. Lots of posts about radiation, but she didn't go that far. The friend with the Geiger counter also buys all of her other groceries at our local co-op, which has prices that makes Whole Foods like like Food 4 Less.

Comment

I wonder how Ms. Lozoff commutes among LA, Miami and Ashland.

Does she fly?

Oh the humanity.

Comment

I'm fairly anal like that myself. I won't buy food at the Dollarama if it's made in China.

Comment

Nothing to do with the New York Times, but I couldn't not share this announcement of a steampunk festival in Waltham, MA, and this is where we've discussed steampunk before:

On May 12th & 13th, 2012, the Charles River Museum of Industry & Innovation presents the third annual Watch City Festival! This is a city-wide event that celebrates the imagination, history and ingenuity behind Steampunk. For one weekend the city of Waltham is transformed into an alternate reality “trapped in time” where the lines between science fiction and the industrial revolution are blurred to bring guests into an immersible experience like no other!
                    The main events will take place on Saturday and Sunday at locations in central Waltham, MA. Citizens of Watch City are also invited to join us for special preview events the evening of Friday, May 11th, including a Victorian Ball.
                    Guests will be transported into a world where dirigibles and hot air balloons race the skies, an old-fashioned midway entertains the crowds, and there are unique performers, musicians, and characters at every corner all telling the story of their world. International published authors and entertainers known nationwide will fill our bookstores and auditoriums. The town common will be transformed into a bazaar filled with vendors offering fine leatherwork, costumes and wearables, gadgets and jewelery along with buskers and demonstrations that tip their hat to a realm forgotten. There is even a race for Mayor to put the best man or woman into the seat to make decisions on the future of Watch City!
                    The event is family-friendly but will also offer some adult entertainment in the form of “Steampunk after dark” events which will entice guests with musical acts, burlesque dancers and carnival side-show performances.
                    OH MY GOD IT GETS BETTER

The RE/MAX Hot Air Balloon will be part of the Watch City Festival! Take a ride in the tethered balloon and see the festival from above! A Watch City button is required in order to ride in the balloon. [Note: Balloon rides are subject to availability and weather conditions.]

If you’d rather stick to ground transportation, keep an eye out for the high-wheel bicycle riders. They will offer demos in how to ride these traditional bicycles.

Or if that’s not your style, learn to ride the rails with the Waushakum Live Steamers and their small-scale steam locomotives.

Ham radio operators around the world will be tuning in to Station W1S, a temporary designation that will exist just for the Watch City Festival! This station will be sponsored by the Waltham Amateur Radio Association. To learn more about ham radio, click here.

Comment

Man, do I not get any of that.

Comment

That would be a cool event if not for the load of assholes sure to be there.

Comment

Here is a mascot of their science museum with some steampunks:

and the unofficial steampunk mayor:

Here are the current mayoral candidates:
                          http://internationalsteampunkcitywaltham.org/?page_id=427

For some reason, these people annoy me less than other steampunks that I've seen.

Comment

I had such high steampunkish hopes for Warehouse 13 when it premiered, but it turned out to be a bit crap.

Comment

There was some article in the times over the past week at a book publishing house with lots of people who get pretty poorly paid wearing disturbingly expensive clothing. No eating photos, so no couscous.

Comment

Ooh, I should look for that one. That's pretty common in the book publishing industry (in New York). They pay so poorly that the only people who can afford to take jobs with publishing houses are those with rich parents (or trust funds). It's what drove me from book publishing into the (slightly) more lucrative field of magazines and newspapers.

Comment

Oh, sorry. It was The Journal! in their NYTimes like section.

As for your observations Renart, I have seen much the same. My wife and her friends all worked in publishing (some still do)... and kind of know a few people in there.

Comment

I was wondering why I hadn't seen it . . .

Comment

Nick Greene
                                      Editorial Assistant
                                      Shirt: Spurr
                                      Tie: "My grandfather's"
                                      Pants: Club Monaco
                                      Shoes: Stacy Adams ("They're my secret.")
                                      "Classier is better than trendy."
                                      AHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Shoes: Stacy Adams ("They're my secret.") = "Every single one of my friends is white and so are all of their friends."

Comment

"Classier is better than trendy"????? WTF'ingF?

He couldn't get any more 'trendy' if he was changing outfits three times a day.

Comment

There are some normal-looking people:

That last person is Rachelle. I would definitely not mind seeing more of Rachelle.

Comment

http://www.stacyadams.com/shop/style/24669-459.html

Comment

Even Tom Haverford would feel embarrassed wearing those.

Comment

I wouldn't wear those to a cock fight.

Comment

What do you usually wear to cock fights, WOM?

I quite like those shoes, though I don't know if I could get away with wearing them. They look like they might match an Argentina national team shirt.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X