Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annoying New York Times articles

Incandenza wrote:
    And am I the only one thinking that this creative working arrangement than they've hit upon sounds a whole lot like an office? God forbid they actually call it that, because an office is boring and soul-crushing, but this is an exciting new venture that allows creativity to blossom and ideas to be exchanged in a new framework for networking and interaction.
    The only difference is that it's an office where each person is running their own business rather than everybody being part of the same firm.

These arrangements aren't new, either. I knew people who worked in one in New York at least ten years ago, and they probably existed before that.

Comment

Renardo wrote:
      These arrangements aren't new, either. I knew people who worked in one in New York at least ten years ago, and they probably existed before that.
      Yes, but this is Generation Y discovering it for the first time, so it's new and different. Wait til they discover having babies, and how you don't get as much sleep as you used to. They'll blog articles about it.

Comment

It turns out that 140 characters in a Twitter post cannot compete with 26 characters in a Brooklyn loft.
        When I read a sentence like that, it's hard not to think, 'you know what, I do hate your freedoms.'

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
          Worn Old Carabela wrote:
          You'd make a crap curator, Inca.
          That could be interpreted two different ways...
          I'd come to your shit show.

Comment

I'll be sure to add you to my shit list.

Comment

Worn Old Carabela wrote:
              Renardo wrote:
              Yes, but this is Generation Y discovering it for the first time, so it's new and different. Wait til they discover having babies, and how you don't get as much sleep as you used to. They'll blog articles about it.
              Yes, you're right. Along those lines, my favorite line in the article was this:

“IT makes me feel like I’m back in college,” said Carter Cleveland, 24, who graduated from Princeton in 2009.
              You're waxing nostalgic about less than two years ago?

Comment

Worn Old Carabela wrote:
                You'd make a crap curator, Inca.

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
                  I'll be sure to add you to my shit list.
                  Cheers. I understand that shit happens, but I never seem to hear about it.

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
                    Yet it’s the offline interaction — the group lunches, the whiteboard brainstorming sessions, the Friday beer parties — that puts Studiomates at the forefront of an innovative new model for doing business.
                    Hahahaha ..yes, you are right, this is an OFFICE.

I paid to use The Hub in London for a bit, because I was skiving too much at home and thought I could use some different company. It was like this in principle but not wanky or annoying; I wonder if the write up makes it sound worse than it is.

Comment

I bought the NY Times on a number of occasions while I was over there the other week.

I couldn't believe the number of widows in each edition of the paper. It must be company policy not to bother getting rid of them.

Wasn't mad about the diagonally sideways-sloping headlines either.

Comment

May favourite gripe is about newspapers that use an opening quotation mark and then never close it. Sometimes this happens in every paragraph. But really, what's the point of separating what someone's said from what the writer's opining?

Comment

Yeah it bothered me too, last time I was there.

But it's just a rather dull newspaper in general ain't it, with dull politics to match

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote:
                            Yeah it bothered me too, last time I was there.

But it's just a rather dull newspaper in general ain't it, with dull politics to match
                            As ursus said, it used to be a much better paper, especially its international coverage and (occasionally) its investigative reporting. Like most U.S. newspapers it's become much more worried about pleasing advertisers.

Its politics have been middle-of-the-road liberal for a long time, and its cultural coverage is often out of touch and painfully over-earnest. (Or clueless about the U.S. west of the Hudson River. NYT articles about California often seem to be written by people who thought Baywatch and Annie Hall were documentaries.)

The Op-Ed page and the crossword puzzle are still pretty good, and sometimes the magazine is still good, too.

As for the widows, I wouldn't be surprised if it is due to a weird house style. I hate the NYT stylebook. It's filled with weird and silly rules. Go AP or go home! The italic headlines are an American thing, I think. The Wall Street Journal used to use something like seventeen different headline typefaces.

Comment

[b]MsD wrote:
                              I wonder if the write up makes it sound worse than it is.
                              It will unfortunately be as bad as described. It is in DUMBO, which is an area full of back-slappy new media, bring your dog to work places - small advertising agencies etc. These people will firmly believe they are onto something.

Comment

dglhand of god wrote:
                                These people will firmly believe they are onto something.
                                These are the kind of people who spend far too much of their disposable income on smart phones, gourmet take-out coffee, ironic '70s TV show lunchboxes and bicycles, and who will eventually form a group that makes forts out of chesterfield cushions and cardboard boxes and says things like "We are a loose collective of artists, dreamer, writers, visionaries....." etc.

Comment

Worn Old Carabela wrote:
                                  These are the kind of people who spend far too much of their disposable income on smart phones, gourmet take-out coffee, ironic '70s TV show lunchboxes and bicycles
                                  I like 3 of those 4 things. Well, maybe 2.5 of them.

Comment

These are the kind of people who spend far too much of [strike]their disposable income[/strike] the money they get from their parents on smart phones, gourmet take-out coffee, ironic '70s TV show lunchboxes and bicycles
                                    Fixed that for you, WOM.

Also solves Inca's issue.

Comment

I thought I recognised some of those names in the original article. Fictive Kin and swissmiss are behind a fairly nice little to-do list app called TeuxDeux. (Pretentious, of course, but simple, straightforward and usable.)

Anyway, off that tangent, this doesn't seem miles away from the gobsmackingly awful middle-class lifestlye preening and Twitter content-scraping articles that The Guardian indulges in. Less tech-wanky, maybe, but not qualitatively any different to me.

Comment

By "gourmet take-out coffee" do you mean, like, espresso and that?

Comment

Crusoe wrote:
                                          I thought I recognised some of those names in the original article. Fictive Kin and swissmiss are behind a fairly nice little to-do list app called TeuxDeux. (Pretentious, of course, but simple, straightforward and usable.)
                                          I might as well continue in my grouchiness...but what is up with the proliferation of to-do list apps and other productivity apps? You go on Lifehacker and like every other post is some "hack" (grumble) to increase your productivity and to organize your tasks, and there are tons of apps for this. Am I the only one that doesn't have some enormously long list of things to do?

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
                                            I might as well continue in my grouchiness...but what is up with the proliferation of to-do list apps and other productivity apps? You go on Lifehacker and like every other post is some "hack" (grumble) to increase your productivity and to organize your tasks, and there are tons of apps for this. Am I the only one that doesn't have some enormously long list of things to do?
                                            I have put providing a more complete response on my to do list.

In the meantime, inca, someone up there was wanting you to explain the difference between an espresso and a gourmet cup of coffee.

Comment

Take that up with WOM, since he's the one that wrote "gourmet take-out coffee."

Comment

I seem to remember you doing a great job of explaining intelligensia. It kind of makes me sad that just seeing these folk were in DUMBO made me certain they were annoying. DUMBO right now is for work-space priced out of Manhattan but seriously not done with being elitist. At least the folks out in Williamsburg and Greenpoint are actually doing the real creative thing (cutting every cost possible to have a loft space to do their thing, even if on their parents dime).

I like Dumbo. I can't even afford to live in Dumbo (like a big distant no-chance). Yet it is getting taken over by these little rich-kid "I am so arty because I don't have to achieve anything in life so long as I can live off my trust-fund" folk pile in to be all creative at great expense. And then get another rich-kid friend in the media to write about it.

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
                                                  Crusoe wrote:
                                                  There are bloody loads of them, I assume because they're really easy to develop, fulfil a genuine need, so I'd guess developers are aiming for a hit-and-hope approach. Most I've seen barely differ from each other; it's almost a case of deciding which icon you like the most.

Comment

I'm guessing that "gourmet take-out coffee" means "Not Tim Horton's or Starbuck's".

Wouldn't necessarily have to be espresso, particularly if it was Fair Trade and "artisanal".

Comment

Working...
                                                    X