X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a post-modern finance bro mashup

Which is very much where we are now

Comment

You're all familiar with the NY Times Pitchbot, right?

https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1352689719776186368

Comment

It is well done, but simply can't match reality

Comment

I only know Shinola from the expression “doesn’t know shit from shinola.” My sister-in/-law’s late dad used it. He was born in the 30s so it persisted past WWI.

Comment

My dad used it too (and likely used the shoe polish).

The phrase was quite popular among "greatest generation" types who had served in WWII

Comment

Really horrifying essay from an editor who left major publications because of the abuse she received from James Bennet, the former NYT Op-Ed editor, who resigned after the Tom Cotton piece. He's starting at the Economist soon. She worked under him at the Atlantic.

https://jenzerb.medium.com/i-left-my...n-4963374ec6b8

Comment

I did a little digging and guess that's about Jeffrey Goldberg. Not sure why I hadn't heard about that before, but then the self-regard of the people who work for prestigious publications makes me ill. Even though I still read them, of course.

https://splinternews.com/jeffrey-gol...off-1835305574

Comment

An absolutely classic NYT hate read

https://twitter.com/cliffordlevy/status/1356955464429408256

Comment

Does the NYT publish this stuff "sincerely", or do they only put it out because they know we love hate-reading it?

Comment

I don't know if I would call that a hate-read, I thought that article was entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                        Does the NYT publish this stuff "sincerely", or do they only put it out because they know we love hate-reading it?
                        I think they recognise two distinct yet complementary markets and would not be at all surprised if they actually market those to advertisers.

Comment

Poor Mrs Abramovich.

Comment

I spent five minutes trying to figure out her relationship to Roman and came up empty

Comment

Me too!

I also liked the description of her husband as working in oil and gas. Like he was some kind of roughneck from Oklahoma.

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/08/f...en-gender.html

What is a woman’s watch?

From the Swiss industry’s perspective, it’s a quartz-powered timepiece small in size and elaborately decorated (with diamonds, of course).

Ask women, however, and the watches they covet and wear often have little in common with what traditionally have been called the ladies’ collections. And their frustration with the trade’s reliance on outdated gender classifications, stoked by decades of sexist marketing campaigns, has reached a boiling point.

That became clear in early February, when Laetitia Hirschy, a watch publicist based in New York and the founder and chief executive of the public relations agency Kaaviar PR, and Suzanne Wong, editor in chief of the Geneva-based watch website WorldTempus, founded Watch Femme, a female-centric community that organizes weekly chats on the social audio app Clubhouse. During the inaugural discussion on Feb. 11, which drew around 60 people, Ms. Wong summed up her exasperation with the industry status quo.

“What is a woman’s watch?” she said. “It is a watch owned by a woman. I don’t see any clearer way to put that.”

The discussion, which ran for more than an hour and a half, lingered on the question of representation, as participants emphasized the disconnect between how the industry speaks to women and how they wish to be addressed.

“Why do men have 16 categories and there’s one tab for women” at brand sites online, asked Joy Corth?sy, artistic director at Idiome, a luxury public relations agency based in Geneva.

Comment

Is there a future for watches that are just watches?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                    Is there a future for watches that are just watches?
                                    I just bought a lovely watch. Timex reproduction of a naval captain's watch, based on the style worn during the Arctic Convoys of WW2. My Grandad was a torpedo loader in the convoys, so it's sort of personal to me, but mainly I liked the box it came in. Grandad lost a finger loading a torpedo when he got it trapped, but he told us he did it biting his nails on the bus and it stopped suddenly.

I got a very posh watch for my 40th. It's a pilot watch and calculates elevation and cross wind and what have you. Took me three weeks to work out which dial was the second hand.

I'm not arsed by smartwatches, but proper, old fashioned watches are great, I think.

Comment

Why do I need to pay for my shopping with a watch, when my bank card and phone can do that just as easily?

Comment

The watch is just easier and it can track all kinds of important health data and soon it will be able to track a whole lot more.

Comment

I guess the health thing can be important and useful, but the rest... *shrugs*

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                            Grandad lost a finger loading a torpedo when he got it trapped, but he told us he did it biting his nails on the bus and it stopped suddenly.
                                            The vice principal at my kids' school only has one arm. He tells kids he lost it to a shark, but apparently he lost it while working a summer job on a garbage truck.

Comment

A watch is for telling the time.

Comment

Now do phones

Comment

Making phone calls.

Comment

You have always been a man of admirable consistency

Comment

Working...
                                                    X