No announcement yet.

Annoying New York Times articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would struggle to think of any cafe here which doesn't sell alcohol.

Comment

See also Italy or France.

The US distinctions are another indication of our weird attitudes towards alcohol.

Comment

“Cafe” is a broad term that describes a lot of different kinds of places* but in general I don’t think of cafes as a place primarily to drink alcohol and not drinking alcohol at such a place would not be considered odd, would it?

Whereas not drinking at a bar or a pub would seem more unusual, I think?

*As it turns out, the place in this town known as The Cafe (Cafe 210 West, to be precise) is a pretty standard student boozer. Bouncers, pitcher specials, nachos, sketchy bathrooms, etc. But it has a pretty big outdoor seating are so the owners call it a Cafe.

Comment

Not drinking alcohol is not considered strange, no.

Nor is drinking it in a "café" thought odd, either. I've just made a rough count and within half a kilometre in any direction from where I live there must be more than 50 establishments where you can refresh yourself. If any of these stopped selling booze they'd be out of business overnight,

It's not that everyone here is an alcoholic (though a worrying number of people are). It's just that while most folk are prepared to get by until the evening on coffee etc. there are many who, for example, will have a beer or wine at 10.30 along with their bocadillo. Very few people will bat an eyelid at this. Even in cafés doubling as bakeries there will always be various alcoholic options behind the counter. But beer and wine here are often hardly considered as alcoholic (even though of course they are!) but more as a refreshment, especially on warm days.

You also have to consider the café culture here as well. Not many people meet for drinks at home. The bar/café/pub etc. is where the action happens.

Comment

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1149260810222485504

Comment

Capitalism is great.

Comment

It's two of the most annoying things in the world: a NYT fashion article presenting catastrophic climate change as a fashion opportunity, and Burning Man!

When tens of thousands of people descend on Nevada's Black Rock Desert in August for Burning Man, they should expect dust. A windstorm could sweep through the site at any moment, swirling the highly alkaline playa sand into clouds, and shrouding the festival's temporary city and its attendants under its cloak. It's best to come prepared.

Vogmask, a reusable face mask with an air filter, was designed with Burners in mind, but is intended to address environmental concerns broadly. When Marc Brown attended Burning Man in 2011, he was disappointed that there were "no cool-looking, highly efficient filtering face masks" to be found on the playa, despite the risk of what Burners have termed "playa lung," an infection caused by the inhalation of alkaline silica dust from the desert.

So he and his mother, Wendover Brown, decided to make their own, working with medical design engineers to ensure its efficacy. Since founding Vogmask in 2012, they have seen demand rise, not just in the United States but around the world.

Vogmask is just one in a small but growing category of products designed to help people navigate an increasingly polluted planet.

Ali Aubuchon, a performance artist and speech language pathologist from New York City, experienced playa lung twiceduring her first three years at Burning Man. She now makes sure to have a mask on at all times in Black Rock City. "It's a place that is not very easy to survive in without the proper supplies," said Ms.Aubuchon, 38, who performs under the name Ali Luminescent.

Comment

Bruno posted this on the gun atrocity thread, but I think it deserves a place here as well.

https://twitter.com/Slate/status/1158723525877874688

I very much hope that someone writes a book on just what has happened to the Times during this Administration. Margaret Sullivan (formerly their Public Editor, now at the Washington Post) would be the obvious candidate, but I somehow doubt many of the most relevant parties would speak to her.

Some of it is clearly part of their larger mission to become the paper of record for the 1%, and I have been told that some of it has to do with social media and search engine "optimisation", but there is clearly more going on, and it would be interesting to know what that is.

This very good Tom Scocca piece also provides a number of helpful examples.

https://twitter.com/tomscocca/status/1158224475487428608

Polite media outlets have been full of these defenses of racism, or defenses of the feelings of white people with racist opinions, since Trump’s victory. Usually, these defenses are presented as critiques of “identity politics,” or, more daringly, of “diversity.” The Columbia University professor Mark Lilla, who presents himself as a “liberal” (though his résumé suggests otherwise), demonstrated the form in a showcase piece in the Times Sunday Review in mid-November 2016, dismissing the notion that Trump had benefited from a “whitelash,” in which the president-elect was able to “transform economic disadvantage into racial rage”:

Comment

Are we playing Jeopardy?

Name the most Annoying New York Times Articles.

What is all of them?

Ding ding ding!

Comment

Polite media outlets have been full of these defenses of racism, or defenses of the feelings of white people with racist opinions, since Trump’s victory the invention of the printing press. Usually, these defenses are presented as critiques of “identity politics,” or, more daringly, of “diversity.” The Columbia University professor Mark Lilla, who presents himself as a “liberal” (though his résumé suggests otherwise), demonstrated the form in a showcase piece in the Times Sunday Review in mid-November 2016, dismissing the notion that Trump had benefited from a “whitelash,” in which the president-elect was able to “transform economic disadvantage into racial rage”:

Fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                        Are we playing Jeopardy?

Name the most Annoying New York Times Articles.

What is all of them?

Ding ding ding!
                        Some are way worse than others.

Like so many things in Trumpistan, this topic has turned especially dark. Many of the entries in this thread - most, perhaps - used to be from the Style or Real Estate sections or the Wedding Shit. That could be dismissed as their attempt to secure ad buys from luxury brands and since advertising revenue is cratering, it was kinda hard to begrudge that. And it was kinda entertaining to see rich people make such asses of themselves.

But now it's clear that many of the most prestigious media sources are out of touch with reality on issues that actually matter. And it's not remotely benign.

Comment

If I ever see Maggie Haberman on the street, it will take all of my strength not to punch her in the face. Or just scream at her, more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            I very much hope that someone writes a book on just what has happened to the Times during this Administration. Margaret Sullivan (formerly their Public Editor, now at the Washington Post) would be the obvious candidate, but I somehow doubt many of the most relevant parties would speak to her.

Some of it is clearly part of their larger mission to become the paper of record for the 1%, and I have been told that some of it has to do with social media and search engine "optimisation", but there is clearly more going on, and it would be interesting to know what that is.
                            Aren't they still the "Failing New York Times" they were three years ago?

Comment

They are making money hand over fist

Comment

This Twitter thread was satisfying to read. Grant Stern and others calling out Haberman on her BS.

https://twitter.com/DavidMDrucker/status/1158840569000603649?s=20

Comment

This article has the most extensive list of corrections that I've ever seen:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...1e9_story.html

Comment

Yikes

What the hell happened over there?

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                      This article has the most extensive list of corrections that I've ever seen:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...1e9_story.html

"But apart from that, we stand by every word we wrote".

Comment

Now I really want to read "The Oral History of the Most Erroneous Thing The Post Ever Published."

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                          Yikes

What the hell happened over there?
                                          I have no idea. Saw Matt Pearce share this and other journalists saying how anxious that made them (writing a piece with that many errors), but some of them made me wonder how it got past anyone else before being published. I mean, referring to the National Library of Medicine as a journal title? How did that not get caught?

And the note at the end makes it clear that a different reporter came in after the initial publication and re-wrote it.

Comment

A second tweet three hours later gave an even more provocative spin to the piece:

[URL]https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1181804471938105344[/URL]

Comment

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...=pocket-newtab

This is an article decrying annoying hipster trends written in a style of articles about those annoying trends.

"But if capitalism caused this problem, can capitalism fix it?"

Narrator: It cannot.

Comment

I had posted this in the Extinction thread, but forgot bout this 'ere thread.

What if All That Flying Is Good for the Planet? https://nyti.ms/2OuX25Z

"Without tourism, it’s easy to imagine the Serengeti turned into cattle ranches."

Amazing mental gymnastics.

Comment

Working...
                                                X