No announcement yet.

Annoying New York Times articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I flirted with liberalism (economic and social) as an unbearable teenager, now Milton Friedman Hayek et al are everything I hate with every fibre of my being. Then I thought we could spin out an ameliorated 3rd way free market forever till about the age of 20, since then it's been a steady move left left left (when I was awake enough to fucking think). My folks have moved left as well (ex Lib Dems, then SLab briefly then Nat), but I suppose almost all their friends have gone the other buy to let ok with the Tories way. Guess soon enough I'd better prep myself for bezzie mates voting Fine Gael (the party for people "who get up early in the morning", thanks Leo!)

Comment

I've thought for a little while now that most people stay pretty much where they always were on the spectrum as they age, but society itself - in terms of rights, identity politics etc. at least - gets more progressive with each generation, and this leaves older people saying things like, 'You get more right-wing as you get older,' (or the less coded, 'You'll grow out of that sort of thinking,') in order to convince themselves they're not intolerant arseholes.

Having just typed all that, I'm definitely a lot more left-wing than I was when I was younger. I suspect this is partly down to having spent nine years(!) on this forum.

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      It is equally true that if you happen to find yourself at a party with that audience, you very much wish you weren't there.
      #Humblebrag

Comment

I must be more right wing, as I don't mind big guns, and people being hung.

Comment

You live in Nevada for god's sake

Attitudes like that put you in the most progressive quintile for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
            I must be more right wing, as I don't mind big guns, and people being hung.
            Hung, or hanged? Because....

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                Hung, or hanged? Because....
                Do you REALLY need to ask?

Comment

David Brooks, ladies and gentlemen.

Comment

The first half of that article seems almost reasonable. Until it suddenly goes so far off the rails. The problem isn't actually overpriced housing; the problem is that poor people don't know barre techniques and are thus ostracized by the metropolitan elite...

Comment

I bet he's proud of having a friend with a mere high school education. He could have quickly (mibees in an offhand joking way, if Brooks could do that instead of Mansplaining at length) translated the trying too hard diner ponce menu into non-wanker. Maybes yer one might have enjoyed the fucking sandwich.

Comment

Or, you know, he could have not been so desperately patronising as to assume that she couldn't deal with "soppresata" just because she wasn't as educated as him, and to not assume that "Mexican" is safe for the poor people while Italian cold meats aren't.

Comment

Not relating to any point here, the page number links at the bottom look weird. After the ellipsis, it goes 29, 37, 38, 39.

Comment

Ignore that ^^^. I get what it's doing.

Comment

The struggles of a high school teacher and a stay-at-home mom and their fixer-upper.

Comment

Sweet merciful crap. A $2.7 million home on one salary? How does 'one' sleep at night?

Comment

If I could have been bothered to post that this weekend, I would have been on this thread. Something in that story is left untold or I need to become a school teacher.

Comment

I agree. I mean, he couldn't even swing the carrying costs. What's the monthly payment on a $2,000,000 mortgage? Plus little Zeus and Bronwyn and his MCM-collecting stay-at-home wife? The fuck...

Comment

They sold their previous place for USD 2.35 million, which was almost twice what they paid for this one.

The question is how they got the first one, and by far the most likely answer is family money.

Comment

God, dontcha just hate it when your new mansion turns out to be falling down.

Comment

About the only scorched earth madness where I’ve half agreed with Adam Smith Institute is when Mad Madsen Pirie called for a 100% inheritance tax. I’m guessing their secret donors back then didn’t have Mercer deep pockets and it really was just a crank think tank. If you truly believe in (and ugh, fuck it as an aspritation) meritocracy and the free unrigged market, ridding the game of chinless, red faced, jolly great types must be a necessity. The bank of Mum and Dad must be closed down for anything over inheritance tax thresholds if you want a “property owning democracy” to continue in Anglosphere dystopia.

Comment

Hillary Clinton proposed a 65% top rate estate tax.

Comment

"After closing on the home for about $1.7 million in April 2013, they called in an engineer who delivered a stomach-churning report."

DUMBASS! You hire the engineer BEFORE YOU BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sweet Jesus.

Comment

That's what we call a surveyor, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                                  About the only scorched earth madness where I’ve half agreed with Adam Smith Institute is when Mad Madsen Pirie called for a 100% inheritance tax. I’m guessing their secret donors back then didn’t have Mercer deep pockets and it really was just a crank think tank. If you truly believe in (and ugh, fuck it as an aspritation) meritocracy and the free unrigged market, ridding the game of chinless, red faced, jolly great types must be a necessity. The bank of Mum and Dad must be closed down for anything over inheritance tax thresholds if you want a “property owning democracy” to continue in Anglosphere dystopia.
                                                  That sounds ok but people could still pass money on while they're still alive and that would be hard to stop.
                                                  I've benefited from that. Not a lot compared to what we're talking about here - nowhere close to the inheritance tax threshold - but it was a big help.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                                    That's what we call a surveyor, right?
                                                    Not sure. But over here, there should always be an inspection before you buy it and if I were paying that much and buying a house that old, I'd want it to be especially thorough.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X