Annoying New York Times articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also. Nobody is judging him for "going out." We're judging him for contributing fuck all to the universe while consuming so many of its resources.

Comment

Found out the author of this article went to Michigan. Stereotype confirmed.

Comment

Jellybean Benitez is still rich? Not bad for someone who hasn't been involved in any kind of a hit since about 1988.

Comment

MsD wrote: Faberge's granddaughter was saying recently (on a documentary) that if he were alive today he would be making phone and iPad covers. But then, craftsman v. artist :-)
          Never knew that Faberge was an actual person before reading that.

Comment

It's quite interesting.

http://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/listings/2011/faberge

I can't help but think that if the Tsarina had said "you know what, dear, I think I may forego my usual birthday egg this year, what with people starving and getting trampled to death" that things might have turned out differently. But maybe not.

Comment

Indeed.

He was in many ways the prototype for the modern luxury goods entrepreneur.

Comment

Bleeding Gums Murphy had a $1500 a day Fabergé egg habit.

Comment

What?
                  http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2016/04/05/darren_wong_s_raindrop_cake_is_based_on_the_japane se_cult_dessert_mizu_shingen.html?utm_content=inf_ 4_2641_2&wpsrc="socialedge&tse_id=INF_b1eb66179f5b 4f07be98e5e750b56297"

Comment

I'm sure it's all kinds of wrong, but I like the idea of that.

Comment

All kinds of Wong (sorry).

Comment

Paul Krugman applies for a job in the Clinton administration

Comment

FTG

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: I'm sure it's all kinds of wrong, but I like the idea of that.
                            Taking it on its own terms, I wonder how well the execution stands up. I read an article about rainbow bagels recently - they have made it to Brick Lane now - and both advocates and sceptics seemed to agree that the colourings altered the flavour to something that wasn't entirely bagel.

The raindrop cake is made from mineral water but the setting agents must surely compromise the notional purity and balance of that, even more than adding ice made from tap water would. Some allowance can be made for texture having a greater stand alone value in Japanese than in Western cuisine, but if the zen like rigour of the concept is compromised then what you're left with seems like a salt'n'shake version of a standard jelly pudding.

Comment

I don't know why I'd want mineral water for desert let alone gelatinous mineral water.

Comment

For cleansing the palette man.

if the zen like rigour of the concept is compromised then what you're left with seems like a salt'n'shake version of a standard jelly pudding.

Oh yeah. That's why I'd like to try it. Dessert options are so limited in most restaurants. You can count on your sticky toffee pudding, your cheesecake, your tiramisu, your chocolate something between cake and chocolate, your fruit crumble/pie and, of course, your ubiquitous sorbet. Practically anything else is welcomed and this has the added virtue of originality.

Comment

Rainbow bagels?

Comment

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/04/10/fashion/sorority-ivy-league-feminists.html?_r=0&referer=https://t.co/EaREGZ8UR9

I don't particularly care for the Greek system, but this is asinine. Outside the 10 northeastern schools the NYT is familiar with, joining a sorority is not inherently anti-feminist. It's not inherently anything.

My mom was in a sorority in the 60s and she never fit the regressive stereotype. For her, it was primarily about securing on-campus housing.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: For cleansing the palette man.

if the zen like rigour of the concept is compromised then what you're left with seems like a salt'n'shake version of a standard jelly pudding.

Oh yeah. That's why I'd like to try it. Dessert options are so limited in most restaurants. You can count on your sticky toffee pudding, your cheesecake, your tiramisu, your chocolate something between cake and chocolate, your fruit crumble/pie and, of course, your ubiquitous sorbet. Practically anything else is welcomed and this has the added virtue of originality.
                                      Do they not have pecan pie in Canada? No wonder you're dissatisfied.

This sounds like a blob of silicon or perhaps Vaseline. It's downright revolting.

Comment

Perhaps, but someone thought blue cheese was revolting once upon a time. I'd try this once to find out.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: For cleansing the palette man.

I guess this is where the NYT Style approach adds its value, annoyance wise.

"That sounds fun, I'd like to try it,"

put through the Stylotron becomes

"This dessert has a spiritual, intellectual and cultural resonance which can only [strike]swell the vanity[/strike] increase the spiritual, intellectual and cultural superiority of those [strike]rich[/strike] clever enough to understand it."

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Perhaps, but someone thought blue cheese was revolting once upon a time.
                                            And how right they were.

Comment

Go sit with ad hoc in the corner!

Comment

"This dessert has a spiritual, intellectual and cultural resonance which can only swell the vanity increase the spiritual, intellectual and cultural superiority of those rich clever enough to understand it."

Ah yes. "We can be bewitched by words, and so fail to understand the ultimate and lose sight of the truth, Grasshopper."

Overheated copywriting, and the fact there's perhaps a natural aversion to eating something that looks like a breast implant, will discourage the timid I suppose.

Comment

Benjm wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos
                                                  For cleansing the palette man.

"This dessert has a spiritual, intellectual and cultural resonance which can only [strike]swell the vanity[/strike] increase the spiritual, intellectual and cultural superiority of those [strike]rich[/strike] clever enough to understand it."
                                                  Exactly.

I'd try it. For science, like, but I'm not going out of my way for it.

It does seem like squishy jellyfish-like textures are far more popular in the East than in the West. So that's part of it, I guess.

I saw the video of how they make it. It goes into a mold, so they could make it look less like a breast implant if they wanted to.

Comment

'Cos everybody hates a tourist.
                                                    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/13/world/americas/canada-vancouver-chinese-immigrant-wealth.html?_r=0

We've seen a sudden influx in super-expensive and/or gaudy cars in State College. With few exceptions, they all seem to be driven by Chinese students. I'm assuming (hoping) that they're actually studying and not just fucking around, but I don't know for sure. If they were just fucking around, they could have found a less serious school in a more interesting place.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X