Annoying New York Times articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide is great for some things, and terrible for others. Like lots of cooking techniques.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Some people would be equally incredulous at the price of replica jerseys
      As they should be.

Comment

Reed John wrote: Art as art makes a lot of sense. I'm not dismissing it. I just don't see how it's existence leads to paying $150 for a fucking T-SHIRT.
        The $150 t-shirts and other 'lower-end' high-margin items (especially accessories) pay for the runway show, basically. Most couture/high end fashion shows lose money hand over fist, because even though the pieces on show are incredibly expensive, they're often also incredibly expensive to make so have pretty low margins, and hardly anyone buys them even if they're more conventional-looking (e.g. gowns, cocktail dresses etc.); they're mostly lent to celebrities for free to generate publicity for the brand, so only oligarchs' wives and the likes really pay for that type of stuff, and there are not enough of those around to keep that type of business viable.

That's also the reason why many of those shows rely on unpaid workers passing as 'interns'*, including for really skilled work like embroidery, pattern cutting etc. If they actually had to pay everyone involved in a show for their work, a lot of fashion houses would just go under. Which doesn't make it ok, obviously.

*Seeing as we've touched on this in a Westwood thread recently, I might as well clarify that this isn't a dig at her in particular. As far as I can tell, this is widespread practice throughout the industry.

Comment

It is.

Comment

*It is. All but two or three of my step-daughter's graduating class in fashion design were either still working as "interns" two years later, were working in a separate area of design, or doing something altogether different.

Comment

I want that pointy red cape now.

Comment

Fussbudget wrote:
                Originally posted by Reed John
                Art as art makes a lot of sense. I'm not dismissing it. I just don't see how it's existence leads to paying $150 for a fucking T-SHIRT.
                The $150 t-shirts and other 'lower-end' high-margin items (especially accessories) pay for the runway show, basically. Most couture/high end fashion shows lose money hand over fist, because even though the pieces on show are incredibly expensive, they're often also incredibly expensive to make so have pretty low margins, and hardly anyone buys them even if they're more conventional-looking (e.g. gowns, cocktail dresses etc.); they're mostly lent to celebrities for free to generate publicity for the brand, so only oligarchs' wives and the likes really pay for that type of stuff, and there are not enough of those around to keep that type of business viable.

That's also the reason why many of those shows rely on unpaid workers passing as 'interns'*, including for really skilled work like embroidery, pattern cutting etc. If they actually had to pay everyone involved in a show for their work, a lot of fashion houses would just go under. Which doesn't make it ok, obviously.

*Seeing as we've touched on this in a Westwood thread recently, I might as well clarify that this isn't a dig at her in particular. As far as I can tell, this is widespread practice throughout the industry.
                This supports my suspicion that it's all a big racket. Of course, it doesn't really stand out from other industries in that regard.

Comment

I had a CdG top in the 90s, it was gorgeous and on a cost-per-wear basis, good value. Think I got in half-price in Selfridges sale. Can't remember what happened to it in the end, probably wore it out.

Perfume and accessories make the most money for fashion houses. All their designs get copied cheaply (mostly made in China). Now, that's a racket. I've just been having a conversation with a friend on FB who is bemoaning the Ł17 she spent on a knock- off Westwood iPad cover, which is crap. Mine is real, and looks it. It will outlive the iPad.

Comment

Everything was cooler in the 90s

Comment

It's the kind of krazee thinking that gave us Fuller House.

Comment

I stand comprehensively corrected.

Comment

https://t.co/H7z0QfZEun

"I couldn’t forgive him or like him, but I saw that what he had done was, to him, entirely justified. It was all very careless and confused. They were careless people, Tom and Daisy—they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness, or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made."

Comment

Seriously. You have to see this one. It really takes the biscuit, or whatever.

Comment

I started reading that last night, and knew it had to make it on to here.

Mr. Warren’s Rolodex is burnished, of course, by his agile Snapchat, which Mr. Binn called “more colorful than a Puff Daddy video.”

These seconds-long snippets take viewers to loud, throbbing nightclubs, show the gang smoking on balconies and posing near private jets. A recent scene focused on Lita, the Warren family’s live-in nanny and housekeeper, as she tried to step over doorway gates in place to limit the wandering of the family’s dogs as she carried a stack of empty pizza boxes.

“We’re at the Hampton Classic, get over that one!” Mr. Warren can be heard saying as he trained his camera on her.

Despite such displays, the “Rich Kids of Instagram” moniker rankles Mr. Warren and his clique. “I party and I have fun, but I’m doing something serious,” he said. “Like Rihanna, because she sings, and rappers — no one is judging them for going out. But when I go out it’s like a judge.”

Even as they grasp that their postings can draw scorn, the Snap Pack seems unable to relinquish the habit of social media, and the illusion of image control it affords. “I look good in pictures I take of myself,” Ms. Matisse said as the group settled in for dinner at Vandal.

Ms. Matisse, who said she is a method actor — “it’s my passion” — graduated in 2015 from New York University, where she studied “the self and other identities,” she said, “the Eastern psychology of ourselves and Buddhism and how the East is so much different from the West and it’s all very interconnected.”

Comment

snigger

Comment

Ms. Matisse, who said she is a method actor — “it’s my passion” — graduated in 2015 from New York University, where she studied “the self and other identities,” she said, “the Eastern psychology of ourselves and Buddhism and how the East is so much different from the West and it’s all very interconnected.”
                                  What makes me sad is that so many people will read this as confirming their prejudices against humanities majors and it will probably be some Fox News twat's justification for why public universities should only teach business and engineering.

I also studied what she'a talking about. It's thousands of years worth of serious philosophical inquiry. If her main takeaway is "it's so much different from the west" then she wasn't paying attention.

But I suspect this was her senior thesis.

Comment

Haha, I missed this:

“I like to take photos,” he said, “but I’m not a bad person. I’ve had a cancer patient D.M. me on Instagram and say, ‘Your Instagram snaps give me hope.’ She said I inspire her and I make her want to keep going every day so she can have a fun life.”
                                    After a New York magazine blogger linked to the story and quoted that, Andrew Warren from the story (the fashion designer guy) and Kyra Kennedy (RFK, Jr.'s daughter) started leaving snide comments on her Instagram photos:

Comment

Reed John wrote: Seriously. You have to see this one. It really takes the biscuit, or whatever.
                                      It is very difficult to pull out a good quote without just copying the whole thing.

On the upside, they are apparently making their families targets for tax investigators and criminals.

Comment

Another sad aspect is that the writer of this isn't bad. He/she/they have a good eye for detail. Imagine how much more useful their work would be if he/she/they were assigned to cover say, the lives of Haitian immigrants in the outer boroughs.

Comment

There comes a point where you want the writer to stop letting them dig their own graves and start hitting them with the shovel.

I hadn't thought about Jellybean for years. I bet Bobby O wouldn't let his kids swan round pulling this sort of nonsense.

Comment

Rosman used to be at the Wall Street Journal, but jumped to the Times two years ago, specifically to write for the Styles section.

"Popular Culture" is what she does.

Comment

Our country deserves the damnation that awaits us.

Comment

Benjm wrote: I hadn't thought about Jellybean for years. I bet Bobby O wouldn't let his kids swan round pulling this sort of nonsense.
                                                According to a photo caption (but not the article text itself, for some reason), one of them is Henri Mattisse's granddaughter. I wonder what he'd make of it. (He might be fine with it, of course, but I can't help thinking it's an argument for creativity not being hereditary.)

Comment

Faberge's granddaughter was saying recently (on a documentary) that if he were alive today he would be making phone and iPad covers. But then, craftsman v. artist :-)

Comment

Sam, it's mentioned in the article too (fifth paragraph down.)

Despite such displays, the “Rich Kids of Instagram” moniker rankles Mr. Warren and his clique. “I party and I have fun, but I’m doing something serious,” he said. “Like Rihanna, because she sings, and rappers — no one is judging them for going out. But when I go out it’s like a judge.”
                                                    I think that's my favourite quote. From a man whose occupation (I stopped short of writing 'job', because come on) is to basically do some half-baked doodles that will be translated into actual garments by the fashion designer that his parents hired to nanny him.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X