Annoying New York Times articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But you have to understand their concerns, though. I mean, they were moving to Brooklyn.

It's an entire walk across a bridge from Manhattan.

Would their friends ever come and visit them in such a weird, scary, alien place that's been famous in recent times for cheap slum rents, violent gang warfare and hardly having any ludicrously overpriced hipster bars at all?

Comment

Incandenza wrote: Britaania Poppie
      Could be a typo. But it's not, is it?

Comment

Very much not.

She turns up in the society pages as well.

Comment

Aw, poop. They didn't get apartments on the same floor. They're all on different floors .

But yeah, "Britaania Poppie". Really?
          I mean, you don't get to pick your name, but still...

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Very much not.

She turns up in the society pages as well.
            Excellent. "A pair of revellers". What you print when the PA loses the slip of paper with their names.

Comment

The couple on the left of that 'skyline' photo is clearly one of those newfangled brother/sister couples.

Comment

Jesus, at this point doesn't acting like Brooklyn is some unknown foreign country actually mark you out as rube rather than a sophisticate?

Comment

(That comment is not actually directed at Jesus, by the way.)

Comment

It is in METROTECH people. Which always reminds me of Cybotron.

It is a pretty shitty area for $3200 a month 1 bedroom apartments in my opinion.

Comment

Either a rube or a "socialite".

I'm sure that Britaania self-identifies as the latter, and sort of wonder which prep school she went to.

Comment

Now, now, dglh.

There's no need to get catty.

MetroTech is the 90s name, when they were trying to make the desolate area into prime locations for back offices.

It's now "Downtown Brooklyn", which is why they can get rubes to pay USD 3200 for one bedrooms.

Comment

The delights of downtown Brooklyn include...

Shake Shack!
                          Fulton Street - where Canal Street comes to feel classy!
                          I think you are pretty close to the Brooklyn house of detention!

I don't know why you would rent there. Buy - maybe, and that would be basically a punt on the fact that everywhere around it is pretty nice, so at some point it will turn. But you can play that game in Bed-Stuy and at least get kicks from it being properly scary.

Comment

Junior's is gone, isn't it?

Comment

First time I've ever heard of MetroTech, I had to look it up. Sounds like something out of Robocop.

Comment

Apparently not.

Juniors!

Not that Britaania is going to be eating cheesecakes.

You are pretty near a Chuck E Cheeses and an Applebees as well, which is difficult to achieve in New York.

Comment

Chuck E Cheeses. You don't do that twice.

Comment

Oh, that's good to hear! I had read that Junior's was being kicked out to make way for condos.

Comment

Yeah, the Junior's thing was part of the Atlantic Yards debacle where Ratner got his arena without actually building any of the housing that had been used to make the evictions politically palatable.

dglh's description of the Fulton Street Mall is spot on. Check cashing businesses are high end by comparison with their neighbours.

Comment

Not in the NYT, but please accept this invitation to "Meet the Two New Yorkers Who Are Starting a Preschool for Adults".

Personally I'd rather eat a handful of my own shite, but can't claim to speak for everybody.

Comment

When I go to Brooklyn in two weeks time, I am writing down a list who to people watch in Brooklyn.
                                          I already had the 3D printer guy , Bre Pettis, if he's still about.
                                          Now I have added Britaania Poppie - as she must be dead famous.

Comment

VTTBoscombe wrote: When I go to Brooklyn in two weeks time, I am writing down a list who to people watch in Brooklyn.
                                            I already had the 3D printer guy , Bre Pettis, if he's still about.
                                            Now I have added Britaania Poppie - as she must be dead famous.
                                            Can't we just bomb Brooklyn?

Comment

Prettis seems to still be around, though he left MakerBot

Don't forget the cheese caves, either.

Comment

NYT article on a traveling fermentation evangelist.

If you find yourself wandering near Whale Creek, in an industrial stretch of Long Island City, Queens, and you come across a dilapidated 1986 International Harvester school bus emitting a faint smell of decay, no need to call the authorities.

It’s the 40-foot mobile office of Tara Whitsitt, 29, a nomadic evangelist for fermented foods who is camping out in Queens for the winter.

A soft-spoken Texas native who refers to her cross-country travels as Fermentation on Wheels, Ms. Whitsitt has spent the past 18 months motoring around the United States in the bus, a former Michigan State Police vehicle outfitted with a kitchen and a wood stove and laden with five-gallon jugs of mint-lemon balm wine, jars of radish-turmeric sauerkraut and plenty of sourdough starter. Ms. Whitsitt earns a living largely by holding workshops in which she teaches old-fashioned methods of food preservation.
                                                Now she is back and trying to park her bus in legal spots — thankfully abundant in the streets near Whale Creek — and staying at a friend’s place in the neighborhood. “I sleep on his couch most nights,” she said, “and I dominate his kitchen.” The accommodations are a far cry from her place in Oregon, which included land to grow vegetables. But while Ms. Whitsitt has less room to ferment in New York, she said she had been welcomed by the city’s thriving scene of probiotic fanatics.

Many belong to NYC Ferments, a Meetup group with more than 450 members that was begun in 2012 by Angela Davis, 42, and Michaela Hayes, 43, an Inwood resident who teaches classes and sells fermented vegetables under the name Crock & Jar. Each month, the group picks a theme, Ms. Hayes said — Japanese pickles, for instance, or mead — and then discusses recipes and results over samples in the back room of an East Village bar.

“We have people who have been fermenting for three decades,” Ms. Hayes said. “And we have people who haven’t even done it but are there because they heard about the health benefits or because it’s a food trend.”

Ms. Hayes, who ran the “pickle program” at the Manhattan restaurant Gramercy Tavern, said the group had been such a success that Meetup.com invited her to speak to its staff. Many of the Meetup employees, she said, were a little wary of her focus on what she called “weird pickles” like Japanese nukazuke, which are made by fermenting vegetables in a bed of mashed and roasted rice bran.

Even with items like kombucha and kimchi appearing on supermarket shelves, fermenters — who often live among pungent jars, tubs and crocks and rely on friends to “feed” their sourdough starters with flour and water while on vacation — are still considered outside the mainstream.

“It’s so misunderstood,” said Cheryl Paswater, 36, a Prospect-Lefferts Gardens resident who has attended Ms. Whitsitt’s workshops and teaches fermentation classes under the monikers Dr. Delicious and Contraband Ferments.

“God bless their souls, my roommates have never complained,” said Ms. Paswater, who keeps a stash of Japanese miso fermenting under her bed.

Comment

Tara Whitsitt
                                                  Cheryl Paswater

They are just making these names up. The last one looks like the stole it from Viz.

Comment

Paswater is part of Brooklyn Brainery (yes, really)

I wonder when it will be revealed that this entire "phenomenon" is a massive performance art project funded by the Qataris.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X