Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annoying New York Times articles

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/travel/steampunks-at-sea.html?_r=1

On the first full evening of last month’s second annual Steampunk cruise to the Bahamas, I found myself — in tuxedo and a World War I-era aviator’s cap — marching in a strange parade past the Deck 5 duty-free shops on the Royal Caribbean cruise ship Explorer of the Seas. Strolling with me were 62 elaborately costumed Victorian re-enactors, including but not restricted to: a Gypsy minstrel playing the accordion, a princess in authentic Turkoman beads, a Russian submarine commander, an African explorer in safari gear, some mustached gentlemen in John Bull top hats and, in her tiara, a 60-year-old woman dressed up as Her Majesty the Queen
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (checks self into mental health facility)

Comment

Ha ha ha!

I haven't managed to take a picture of the sign yet, Inca, but there's a "steampunk lounge" called Metal and Lace in Austin now.

Comment

Finally, a safe space for steampunks.

Comment

Show me a steampunk with their pants halfway down their thighs and I'll start to get upset. About goddam time young people took some pains about their appearance, if you ask me.

Comment

I don't know if the NYT has covered this, but it's very much in the spirit of this thread.

http://gawker.com/whose-good-life-are-these-coffee-shops-positive-marker-1561899283/+tcraggs22

Comment

This is a parody, right? It's not real?

“I’ve never been to Africa, but I feel like I have this deep affinity for it,” Ms. Hanley Mellon said. “I’ve read every Hemingway, we collect Peter Beard, I’ve watched ‘Out of Africa.’ It touches your soul to visit and smell the smells, and you can’t recreate the experience without immersing yourself.”

Of course, being mobile has many connotations in the age of new media, which Mr. Mellon feels ambivalent about. “In the old days you’d have to travel to India or China for inspiration, and these days you’ve just got Pinterest boards and you can create looks from home,”

Comment

Ha ha ha!

(Force Hanley Mellon, 3, and Olympia Drexel Mellon, 1, were not in the room during the interview. There is also a teacup Yorkie named Tuleh, named for the clothing label where Ms. Hanley Mellon interned.)
                Force? Force? Force Mellon??? Old-money WASPs have become downright tacky lately.

Comment

Oh, good. And he's friends with the Winklevoss twins.

What time do you have to get up in the morning to mould your hair that way?

Comment

Not that early I would reckon. That looks like a quick bit of wax and a comb.

Comment

“I’ve never been to [strike]Africa[/strike] a weird colonial fantasy of 1920s Kenya, but I feel like I have this deep affinity for it,” Ms. Hanley Mellon said. “I’ve read every Hemingway, we collect Peter Beard, I’ve watched ‘Out of Africa.’ It touches your soul to visit and smell the smells, and you can’t recreate the experience without immersing yourself.”
                      Fixed that for her.

Comment

Also New York Boomers on Hipster Turf:

“People are always looking for the next big thing,” Ms. Kaufman said. “There are lots of boomers out there who might be empty nesters, but they’re not retiring. This neighborhood is hip-hopping, and they want to be part of it.”
                        I hope that was accompanied by excruciating faux-ironic gang signs.

Comment

That's a cringer of an article, but it is true that mixed-age neighborhoods are the way to go. Very glad to have moved into one myself.

Comment

'Olympia Drexel Mellon' is my new jam of a name.

Comment

I liked the film Out of Africa a lot. It's on TV all of the time. I like the animals and some of the stuff Robert Redford says about them. I suppose the sort of clothes colonialists wore then is classic and functional. But it is definitely a colonialist story. The locals are barely in the film at all.

But that's a long, long, long way from "I've got an affinity for Africa." I actually don't have an affinity for Africa or, to be honest, most of the non-affluent parts of the world. It's not because they don't have stuff so much as it's just too damn hot there. Hot and/or crowded. And or full of poisonous snakes/scorpions/spiders. I know I sound like a dick thinking that, but at least I'm trying to be honest and not patting myself on the back for taking on white man's burden.

Comment

I'd truly love to go to India, but I know that I'd go utterly squirrelly with the crowds and I'd be continuously shitting my pants in the street. That would, I think, make for an unpleasant trip.

Comment

My friend shat his pants in the street in India. It is one of the all time funniest things I have ever seen.

Comment

Yes, India isn't likely to happen for me either. Nor any major city in Asia. I'd like to try Tibet or Nepal. I'm sure I'd have dry-heaves at 20k ft, but at least it wouldn't be hot and crowded. Mongolia might be OK for me too.

Comment

You know in The Amazing Race, where they make the couple go on some crowded commuter train for an hour journey into Mumbai? I go a little bit nuts just watching that.

Comment

Reed John wrote: Yes, India isn't likely to happen for me either. Nor any major city in Asia. I'd like to try Tibet or Nepal. I'm sure I'd have dry-heaves at 20k ft, but at least it wouldn't be hot and crowded. Mongolia might be OK for me too.
                                        Tokyo is on my wishlist, and when I'm there I'll probably do the standard Kyoto-Nara tour. Would also be very interested in seeing Bhutan. But India doesn't really attract me, for some reason.

Comment

I'd like to try Japan but if I do, I'd want to spend only a little time in Tokyo before headed out into the country. I've heard there's a place or two that are a bit like Japan's version of Colonial Williamsburg where everything looks a lot like it did in the 19th century. That sounds my speed.

Comment

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

American plastic fans get the NYT Style treatment!

“Any time I’m at a book party or reading, and soccer comes up in conversation, I find myself surrounded by young men in shabby-genteel, loosely fitting tweed jackets gushing over the Gunners,” Ms. Schaap said. “In such settings, being an Arsenal supporter is even more predictable than having an M.F.A. or a pair of horn-rimmed glasses.”

For on-trend types with an internationalist bent, supporting (never rooting for) a Premier League club (never team) is not just a pleasant diversion, but a public display of global cultural literacy.
                                            English OTFers can correct me, but I think the proper English football culture term for these people is "cunts", right?

Comment

Arsenal fans? Too true.

Comment

Ha ha, OTF gooners excepted, of course.

I've been growing increasingly annoyed with American soccer EuroSnobs turning their noses up at MLS teams while cultivating wholly artificial TV relationships with clubs across the sea. I could be accused of trying to be too cool for it, but really the only reason I followed English and European football at all in the first place is that we didn't have a league in the U.S. Now that we do I'm taking the opportunity to distance myself from these people and fully embrace the dorky, plodding MLS. If only Austin had a team.

Comment

That may explain why, at 8:30 a.m. last Sunday, a lively crowd of supporters with tattoos and artfully rolled jeans showed up to Banter, a bar in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, with plank floors that caters to Premier League fans.
                                                  Banter?

Good grief.

Comment

“You buy into the history and the tradition, the values of the club,” said Bryan Lee, a digital brand strategist who grew up in Southern California and lives in Greenpoint. He showed up in a vintage gray Liverpool away jersey. “Historically, Liverpool has been a blue-collar port city,” added Mr. Lee, 24, as thoughtful as if he were delivering his orals at graduate school. “The politics of Liverpool was really sort of anti-Thatcher. It’s become the people’s club. Those hardworking blue-collar values never really left, even though it’s been ushered into the modern era of the club being a global franchise.”
                                                    Jesus Christ.

idontwanttoliveonthisplanetanymore.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                                    X