Annoying New York Times articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alyxandr wrote: You'd no doubt still recognize it a couple blocks further down, but yeah, upper Polk has been upscaling furiously for a while now, and slowly creeping south.
    What sucks is a lot of SF's really good used bookstores were in the Gulch, and they're now being replaced by cunting cider bars.

Wahhhh.

Also having Fernet is not hipster in the parts from whence I came, wocka wocka.

Comment

That's a citywide problem -- bookstores, not Fernet -- but yeah, i miss Rooks & Beckords.

Comment

alyxandr wrote:
        And you've now got me mildly intrigued about the whole concept of "cooking cider" -- braising various pork products in it seems pretty obvious, wonder what else you can do with it.
        Freeze it.

Sadly, I don't think that cider lollies had real cider in them, although the taste was different to straight frozen apple juice.

Comment

alyxandr wrote:
          Originally posted by Sam
          Here's Bristol's version, on a boat in the city centre. Fantastic bar.
          Want.

And you've now got me mildly intrigued about the whole concept of "cooking cider" -- braising various pork products in it seems pretty obvious, wonder what else you can do with it.
          Chicken, for starters (or rather, for the main). Have you never had apple sauce made with a generous splash of cider? You've never lived.

It's not bad in a chicken & veg pie, either (think along the lines of steak & ale).

Comment

I would, however, strongly recommend using some actual nice cider for both of those. My point with Magner's was (obviously, I assume) that it's bloody horrible.

Comment

Oh, and whilst I realise this might not help your cider-bar-based jealousy (just remember I now live 7,000 miles away from these places myself...), The Apple is about 50 yards away from two other fine city centre pubs. One is the Old Duke, a bar with a wide variety of ciders which is nationally known for having live jazz (of a very decent standard; Bristol's jazz scene is a strong one) seven nights (and Sunday afternoons) per week, for no entry fee whatsoever. The other is a bar with slightly less cider on offer, though being Bristol still a couple of decent ones. But the building is 349 years old, and it has a few claims to fame. The best is that it's the pub in which Daniel Defoe met Alexander Selkirk - the man whose story inspired the novel Robinson Crusoe. It's also traditionally held to be the inspiration for the Admiral Benbow in Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island (of which, more just below).

Just up the road is the Hole In The Wall, which has now been turned into a bland gastropub, but which in its previous guise was the inspiration for the Spyglass (Long John Silver's pub in Treasure Island). And if you know where to look, not far from there, there's a house built on the site of Blackbeard's birthplace - the real life Blackbeard (Edward Teach). Just down the road from that there are a couple of genuine pirate pubs, one of which his father was said to have been a part owner of.

If I ever live in Bristol again, I want to do guided tours of all this stuff. It's ridiculously interesting (and fun). All of these places are within a brisk five minute walk of The Apple, and most of them are within a very leisurely two minute stroll. All serve absolutely fantastic cider.

Apologies for going way off the thread topic.

Comment

Flynnie wrote: Also having Fernet is not hipster in the parts from whence I came, wocka wocka.

Comment

whilst I realise this might not help your cider-bar-based jealousy...

The annual Machen Dinner is often held in S. Wales, so i do pass through that part of the world on occasion; and Bristol certainly sounds like a better place to spend an afternoon on the way than, er, Newport. Will try to make that happen.

Comment

Oh, for sure. Shame I won't be there to show you around, but if you let me know I can draw you up a map of these places should you want to recreate the cider/pirate pub crawl my girlfriend and I did with my best mate and his girlfriend on Christmas Eve.

Comment

Has anyone reading this ever made their own cider? I'd like to try. We've got loads of apples around here in the autumn.

Comment

The NY Times has launched a Tumblr of "found haikus" from their articles.

http://haiku.nytimes.com/

Comment

Incandenza wrote: The NY Times has launched a Tumblr of "found haikus" from their articles.

http://haiku.nytimes.com/
                          Well, isn't that precious! Bless their hearts.

Comment

Reed John wrote: Has anyone reading this ever made their own cider? I'd like to try. We've got loads of apples around here in the autumn.
                            Looked into it once, but many of the recipes suggest that for best results it takes months of aging (as opposed to weeks for beer) so didn't bother, although if i had a ton of apples lying around i'd probably give it a try.

Comment

Only the NYT has the courage to tackle the major social issues facing us today. Like the problem of Silicon Alley millionaires not being art collectors.

Comment

Our culture is in grave danger!

Comment

I couldn't get past the first paragraph of that.

Comment

Brooklyn? Check
                                    Hipsters? Check
                                    Parents? Check
                                    Smug environmentalism? Check
                                    Outrageous "trend"? Check

The NY Times hits it out of the park with this article on parents teaching elimination communication to their children:
                                    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/19/nyregion/babys-latest-going-diaperless-at-home-or-even-in-the-park.html

But “elimination communication,” as the diaper-free method of child-rearing is called, is finding an audience in the hipper precincts of New York City.

Ms. Shapiro, who is a doula, a birth and child-rearing coach, says it is practically now a job qualification to at least be able to offer diaper-free training as an option to clients. Caribou Baby, an “eco-friendly maternity, baby and lifestyle store” on the border of artsy Greenpoint and Williamsburg, has been drawing capacity crowds to its diaper-free “Meetups,” where parents exchange tips like how to get a baby to urinate on the street between parked cars.

Parents are drawn to the method as a way of preserving the environment from the ravages of disposable diapers, as well as reducing the laundering of cloth diapers and preventing diaper rash. Many of them like the thought that they are rediscovering an ancient practice used in other cultures, though they tend to gloss over the fact that many of those cultures had never heard of Pampers. But mostly, they say, they like feeling more in touch with their babies’ most intimate functions.

“I think for a lot of parents, the motivation is just to be more in tune with what their kids’ needs are,” Adriane Stare, proprietor of Caribou Baby and herself a diaper-free mother, said on Thursday, about a week after holding her most recent meetup. Another meeting was written about on Thursday on the news Web site dnainfo.com; the next is May 14.

Ms. Stare said she “E.C.’d” her oldest son, Damien, who is now almost 4, and is doing it again with her second boy, Loren, who is almost 4 months old. Ms. Stare watched for cues that meant her baby needed to go to the bathroom or was going to the bathroom, like a certain cry or squirming or a grimace. Then, she began associating those cues with her own noises, like “sss,” or grunting. After a while she could make those noises — the elimination communication — to the baby while holding him over the toilet or the sink for perhaps 20 seconds, and he would go to the bathroom on command or refuse if he was not ready.

There are misses, she admits, but even cleaning up a small mess on the floor is easier, she says, than laundering diapers.

Comment

That is very creepy indeed. Not least the photo halfway down which seems to suggest that the baby isn't offered a trouser option between communications.

If only Best Made sold nappies. Honest, craftsman made, bracingly priced nappies.

Comment

Toms should make them out of 100% vegan free-range cotton, and give one set to the nappy-less African babies for every set sold in the US.

Comment

There are misses, she admits, but even cleaning up a small mess on the floor is easier, she says, than laundering diapers.
                                          How could that be? Sounds like what psychologists call "crazy talk" to me.

We used Velcro-fastened cloth diapers (BumGenius, if you must know), supplemented by the occasional disposable, and it was super easy and mess-free. Then we potty-trained fairly young. Best of both worlds, if you ask me.

Comment

You just don't understand hipster culture.

There have been reports of parents engaging their kids in "EC" in restaurants, which I hope is just an urban legend intended to reduce wait times for brunch at trendy Williamsburg eateries.

Comment

The article mentions urinating in sinks. So, let me get this straight: it's okay for babies now but I still get a dirty look?

Comment

Yeah, none of that is ok. Shit is shit and piss is piss and the rest of the world shouldn't have to deal with it just because you're a self-satisfied twat.

It's not fair to the kid to make him sit it is own shit-stained trousers.

As for the "ravages" of diapers, if they can make biodegradable bin liners (which I now use as part of our town's new composting program) I imagine they can figure out biodegradable diapers.

Comment

Sinks? I just ask for an old style brass spittoon to be placed by the table. It's good to repurpose antiques to suit today's lifestyles.

Comment

Reed John wrote: As for the "ravages" of diapers, if they can make biodegradable bin liners (which I now use as part of our town's new composting program) I imagine they can figure out biodegradable diapers.
                                                    I'm not sure how the kind that renart mentioned worked, but we use something called gDiapers. They're like cotton underwear with velcro, and they have a plastic insert. You put a cotton/hemp liner into the insert, and when you change the baby, you toss the inserts away (you could also flush them, or if you're really serious, you can compost the liners that have only been peed on). They break down much better than disposable diapers.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X