Annoying New York Times articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thirty-eight bucks for socks? Geez. I'm very much a cool sock enthusiast, but I can't imagine paying that much for a pair of hosiery, no matter how nice.

Comment

Yes, I'm very much old school on socks - four pairs for ten bucks or I'm not interested. Doesn't matter what you pay, they'll get holes in them after a few months anyway.

Comment

alyxandr wrote: Sounds like an admittedly fun though pretty standard evening out -- shouldn't bachelor parties be more of a special occasion?
        It's special because I don't see those guys very often and most of them don't get many chances to get ripshit. (Marriage, kids, jobs, etc.)

Comment

Renart wrote: Thirty-eight bucks for socks? Geez. I'm very much a cool sock enthusiast, but I can't imagine paying that much for a pair of hosiery, no matter how nice.
          And $405 for knock-off Vans sneakers? Who buys those?

Comment

Hipster douchebags.

Comment

Yeah, expensive versions of standards like Vans, Chuck Taylors, etc., are truly befuddling. Get shoes that look almost exactly like Vans, but not quite as good, and pay ten times as much!

Comment

Apparently, the NYT has decided that baby boomers aren't pandered to enough in its pages.

Comment

Actual Vans are already overpriced. $40 in the Eastbay catalog, I saw. I'm sure the production cost is about $5.

Not the NYT or a particularly bad article, but this piece made me want to blow something up.

http://www.vanityfair.com/society/2013/04/mysterious-residents-one-hyde-park-london

Comment

Renart wrote: Thirty-eight bucks for socks? Geez. I'm very much a cool sock enthusiast, but I can't imagine paying that much for a pair of hosiery, no matter how nice.
                    I do splurge on socks. Always buying new and better ones. No piece of clothing change how I feel at a given moment more than my socks.

But for $38, they'd be better be high quality socks with multiple different kinds material and padding in all of the right places suitable for climbing Mount Everest or skiing in very cold conditions. I doubt those are like that.

Comment

Did you know South Korea is a country? And has a culture? Me neither, but the New York Times is on it!:

Until now, South Korea has never really registered as a culture — or as a country . . .

Comment

Excellent quote, that. Anyway, to come back to the fernet conversation from the other week...

Reed John wrote: What does it taste like? And how the hell could having it be equated with "getting it?"
                        I don't know what 'getting it' means (you'd have to ask Renart), but it tastes pretty much like he said really - Jagermeister without the sweetness is a very good analogy. One of my friends said that with Coke, it tastes a bit like Campari, as well. I can't taste that quite so much.

Renart wrote: The way those things translate (or don't) across cultures is always amusing. Like people in the U.S. being beer-snobbish about Newcastle Brown Ale, Foster's, or Stella Artois, each of which, I'm told, are seen as "down-market" in their native lands. (I might have been misinformed of course.)
                        It really does happen everywhere. A few of my friends in the UK have noticed Quilmes (Argentina's biggest lager by far) increasingly on some of the niche beer shelves there lately, and Quilmes really isn't very good quality lager.

On a different tack, whenever I meet an American and explain that I barely drink beer because I much prefer cider, they get an image of a Drink For Girls with barely any alcohol in it. Which isn't quite what English cider is like.

Comment

Reed, my "getting it" comment is just to poke fun at the original NYT article, in which a suburban bar having a Fernet cocktail is proof to one of the hipsters profiled that they "get it." ("It" being how to cater to hipsters, I suppose.)

Sam, there have been a few attempts here to do an English-style cider (Woodchuck is probably the best-known brand), but I don't know how successful they've been at it.

Comment

Slightly off topic, but my latest NY Times annoyance was that someone lifted my paper on Saturday. Always thought they could do a little bit more of a half-assed effort chucking it up the driveway.

No Real Estate section this week for me. I expect I missed something about how Brighton Beach in the new Upper West Side.

Comment

Renart wrote: Did you know South Korea is a country? And has a culture? Me neither, but the New York Times is on it!:

Until now, South Korea has never really registered as a culture — or as a country . . .
                              That's horrifying.

I thought I'd post this in this thread...Brooklynites react to (fake) news that Guy Fieri is planning on opening a restaurant in Williamsburg.

Comment

Renart wrote: there have been a few attempts here to do an English-style cider (Woodchuck is probably the best-known brand), but I don't know how successful they've been at it.
                                This is set to get pretty big pretty quickly, as the gluten-free crowd get more plentiful and vocal -- most ciders available here at the moment are too sweet to have more than one of. We've even got a cider bar now.

Comment

Good point, alyx. You could probably do a decent turnaround by investing solely in gluten-free product futures. I'll have to check that bar out next time I'm in the city. (This summer, most likely.)

That Guy Fieri thing is hilarious, Inca.

Comment

Cider bars in Polk Gulch.

The neighborhood has changed a bit since the early 80s.

Comment

You'd no doubt still recognize it a couple blocks further down, but yeah, upper Polk has been upscaling furiously for a while now, and slowly creeping south.

Comment

Not to Times, but equally die in a fire-worthy.

http://jezebel.com/5992910/princeton-alum-tells-female-students-theyre-doomed-unless-they-find-a-princeton-prince-and-get-their-mrs

Comment

[quote][Reed, my "getting it" comment is just to poke fun at the original NYT article, in which a suburban bar having a Fernet cocktail is proof to one of the hipsters profiled that they "get it." (It being how to cater to hipsters, I suppose.) /quote]

I see, but I don't understand the comment in the original article. Maybe I'm not meant to.

We've got a local cider, Keewatin, I think it's called. I like it. It goes down fast.

Comment

That Princeton story is hilarious. As the country's inequalities become ever more extreme, even alleged "meritocracies" like Princeton will start to resemble an in-bred Southern country club.

Comment

People like that make me more determined never to get married and enjoy life anyway. I know it galls them. It also makes me glad I didn't go to Princeton. Not that they'd have had me. But still. Life is too short to put up with that shit.

Besides, all that orange wouldn't do.

Comment

alyxandr wrote:
                                                Originally posted by Renart
                                                there have been a few attempts here to do an English-style cider (Woodchuck is probably the best-known brand), but I don't know how successful they've been at it.
                                                This is set to get pretty big pretty quickly, as the gluten-free crowd get more plentiful and vocal -- most ciders available here at the moment are too sweet to have more than one of. We've even got a cider bar now.
                                                Cor, that list doesn't look bad. I don't know the majority of them, of course, but Aspall's and the William's perry are both more than decent of the English ones (the Aspall's Cuvée Duvalier will get you wrecked, but you've guessed that already given the alcohol percentage). Stay away from Magner's if you head there, though - it's nothing more than heavily-marketed Irish cooking cider.

Here's Bristol's version, on a boat in the city centre. Fantastic bar.

Comment

I misspelled it. It's Keewaydin
                                                  http://www.keewaydincidermill.com/Home_Page.html

Comment

Sam wrote: Here's Bristol's version, on a boat in the city centre. Fantastic bar.
                                                    Want.

And you've now got me mildly intrigued about the whole concept of "cooking cider" -- braising various pork products in it seems pretty obvious, wonder what else you can do with it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X