Annoying New York Times articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, the funny thing is how desperate Wolff seems to want to convince everybody how classy, rich, and sophisticated he is, which is the quintessential mark of a vulgar, arriviste rube.

Comment

Sam wrote:
      Originally posted by Renart
      Originally posted by ursus arctos
      They definitely do drink Fernet with Coke in Argentina. In fact, our resident Argentine and his colleagues do so ostentatiously on every podcast.
      Ah, good reminder to add that podcast to my subs. Hand of Pod obviously "gets it."
      Indeed we do. Although, whilst that is a bottle of Branca in our cover image, we have now switched brands to one that goes better with Coke (I am refusing to name the brand in question, because for some months their PR department have been teasing me about sponsoring the podcast, and I'm inwardly refusing to give them the publicity until they actually damn well do).

The idea of fernet as a hipster drink is pretty funny to anyone who's experienced it in Argentina. According to Branca Fratteli's own stats, 98% of the Fernet Branca consumed on Earth is consumed in Argentina. And no-one drinks it neat (well, I do sometimes, when I have an especially horrible cold).
      The way those things translate (or don't) across cultures is always amusing. Like people in the U.S. being beer-snobbish about Newcastle Brown Ale, Foster's, or Stella Artois, each of which, I'm told, are seen as "down-market" in their native lands. (I might have been misinformed of course.)

Reed, the best description I've come across for the taste of fernet is "like Jägermeister without the sweetness." That's not quite accurate, but it gives you an idea: it's very herbal-tasting. There must be some mint in it, as well, which is why many people also think of mouthwash when they try it.

Comment

I don't think I've seen anyone be snobbish about Foster's. Stella, absolutely. Back in the mid 00s when it first seemed to be widely distributed here, I remember they had billboards that said "perfection doesn't come cheap" or something like that...basically convincing people that it must be good if it's expensive. I ordered it about three or four times before I admitted to myself that I didn't think it tasted that good at all.

Comment

Renart wrote:
          The way those things translate (or don't) across cultures is always amusing. Like people in the U.S. being beer-snobbish about Newcastle Brown Ale, Foster's, or Stella Artois, each of which, I'm told, are seen as "down-market" in their native lands. (I might have been misinformed of course.)
          Oh good god. Newcastle Brown Ale is an abomination in the US. Particularly when some colleagues convinced me to pass the never-to-be-darkened-again door of buffalo wild wings.

Newcastle Summer Ale sir?
          Newcastle Winter Ale?
          Newcastle Warewolf?

What the hell is going on?!

Comment

I like Newcastle. Or I did a while ago. I haven't had it recently.

Comment

Same here. I had some of your very fine Yuengling just last week, though.

Comment

Back in the mid 00s when it first seemed to be widely distributed here, I remember they had billboards that said "perfection doesn't come cheap" or something like that...basically convincing people that it must be good if it's expensive.
                That's been their marketing pitch over here, too. Don't think anyone believes it. And besides, it's not particularly expensive.

Comment

As far as mass market beers go here, Stella is near the high end (about $8 for a six pack in stores near me).

Comment

'Price as indicator of quality' is a pretty good marketing tactic. A number of brands over the years have lifted sales by raising prices.

I can't recall the brand name, but there's a US firm that sells plastic cases (for hand-tools, drills, etc) and they did a line of high-quality plastic briefcases. They priced them under $10 and couldn't move them. Then they put them in art stores and museum shops for $40 and couldn't keep them in stock.

Comment

Like these artisan tools for, well, tools:

http://www.bestmadeco.com/collections/axes

Comment

Incandenza wrote: Like these artisan tools for, well, tools:

Perfect for taking to a Timbers match.

They probably also do something to wood, I guess, if you're into that sort of thing.

Comment

Those are great for tree fellers. But seeing as there's only two of us...

Comment

I have my grandfather's ax. I've only replaced the handle twice and the head once.

Comment

That's all my ax humour done, so I'll go now. I used to do a longer set, but I had to chop it down...

Comment

WOM wrote: I have my grandfather's ax. I've only replaced the handle twice and the head once.
                                You should ask my sophomore-year philosophy professor about his sock.

Comment

As far as mass market beers go here, Stella is near the high end (about $8 for a six pack in stores near me).
                                  Oh, I'm sure it's relatively expensive in the US. But in the UK, it's in the mid-tier with other mass market lagers like Kronenbourg and Budweiser etc (£10 for 10 cans in a supermarket) rather than a bit higher up like Budvar or Staropramen. It's more expensive than utter piss like Carling, but not by much.

Comment

Incandenza wrote: Like these artisan tools for, well, tools:

I somehow got onto Best Made's mailout list and I can't bring myself to unsubscribe. It is morbidly fascinating.

Wankiest item, in a competitive field, could be the Red Cap Of Courage - and at $75 the price is almost as silly as the name.

Comment

I ought to like Newkie Broon; ah divvent though but. Harvey's of Lewes, which is pretty far away from what we call "the Toon", does a beer in the same style that's much better. Same sort of price as well.

Comment

Ha ha ha, I love the pictures of the "Red Cap of Courage" models wearing the red cap and doing courageous things like leaping over a stream or carrying an ax.

Comment

That ax(e) sent me straight back to this sketch.

Comment

BikeSnobNYC is always good on Best Made:

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2010/09/axe-me-no-questions-and-ill-tell-you-no.html

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2010/11/backwoods-revival-buy-buy-this.html

Comment

Lucia Lanigan wrote: That ax(e) sent me straight back to this sketch.
                                              I've really come to love that show. Especially since I found out lots of my friends in Portland hate it.

Comment

Also, it's given me yet another idea for taunting Timbers fans: chant "Put a bird on it!" after your club scores against Portland.

Singing "Dream of the Nineties" when they're losing might be good, too.

Comment

You know what, I'm halfway through the second series and I can't put it down. They just did their song about Meghan who makes jewellery now (that she's had a kid and worked out what she really wants to do).

I'm actually sacking off a Factory Floor film/music thing at the ICA tonight so I can watch more Portlandia. I must enjoy affectionate comedy about their audience more than than I enjoy being in a room with them.

Comment

WOM wrote: Same here. I had some of your very fine Yuengling just last week, though.
                                                    It's taking over the world.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X