Annoying New York Times articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fernet and coke makes some sense. Similar sorts of flavours with lots of cardamon, and the sugar working against the bitteness. (It is, of course, only 2 liquid ingredients and therefore wouldn't be (under British law) a cocktail.)

Comment

fat-cat rituals are what we all emulate
      Lying in bed all day, biting out chunks of my own fur, smelling like old meat... yep, that's me (when I'm unemployed).

Comment

Today's New York Times makes no mention of the shooting dead by police of a young man which has led to major protests at Brooklyn Bridge.

It does, however, contain this.

And this.

Comment

ad hoc wrote: I had to look up sous vide.
          Me too.

Comment

Renart wrote: Ha ha, oy vey. Here's another privileged Manhattanite, this time letting us know what an immense burden it is to get a table at the right restaurants, (and incidentally signalling what an awful, vulgar, insufferable prick he must be in real life).

Modern life has become a three- and often four- or five-meal-a-day restaurant habit. There is the breakfast meeting. At one time, egg-white-only breakfast meetings were a behaviour limited to fat cats – but fat-cat rituals are what we all emulate. So now it’s unthinkable for the rest of us to begin a day without a breakfast meeting (the most important meeting of the day).
            If you have an assistant, his or her full-time job pretty much becomes getting you a daily booking. If your assistant is any good at all, he or she will have narrowed lunch to four or five places and have, by careful trial and error, measured how far in advance it's necessary to call in order to avoid rejection and disaster. Repetition - say, six months of bookings - will finally get you a favourable database field and a reliable table (until someone else starts to book who is yet more faithful or famous than you, at which point you're downgraded). But, of course, if you don't have an assistant, this is your full-time job. You can be cavalier or passive-aggressive about it and not give a damn about where you book at the last minute. But, to be honest, if someone takes me to, say, a grim little Japanese place for lunch, instead of a prestigious destination, I drop them.
            This article makes me wish mugging would make a comeback in NYC.

Comment

Reed, no doubt Wyatt will explain for himself, but I'm guessing his comment was a reflection of the fact that, in British English, "likely" is normally an adjective only (so, more or less a synonym for "probable"), and its use as an adverb, as an alternative to "probably", sounds either plain wrong (to British people who haven't encountered it much) or an irritating Americanism/neologism to British people who do hear it a lot, typically in office/media contexts from speakers who like to hop on to new trends.

Comment

That guy in GQ is a Brit anyway, so we can wash our hands of him.

Comment

AB, I'm confused.

Teenager Killed by Police was Shot 7 Times.

After Shooting, Police Distrust Widens in Brooklyn Neighborhood.

East Flatbush is also several miles away from the bridge.

Comment

Helio, I'm afraid not.

Wolff is from Patterson, New Jersey, and went to Vassar and Columbia.

Comment

Though Reed's dictionary suggests that in the US too, "correct" usage insists that "likely" is always an adjective. I must say that's always been my understanding. This particular solecism may be more common over there; if so, there are others that are more common over here, so...

It's not logical, because "very likely" and "most likely" are idiomatic as adverbial phrases on both sides of the Atlantic, but for what it's worth, I don't think the battle for "likely" on its own as an adverb has been won.

Not that I really care; it was just a gag.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: AB, I'm confused.

Teenager Killed by Police was Shot 7 Times.

After Shooting, Police Distrust Widens in Brooklyn Neighborhood.

East Flatbush is also several miles away from the bridge.
                        Apparently (according to @FireTomFriedman) those stories were missing from the print edition this morning.

Comment

I totally overlooked the adverb/adjective distinction, as many Americans do.

Comment

Will check when I get home, but it wouldn't surprise me given how early they close the print edition these days.

The autopsy results only came out this morning.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Helio, I'm afraid not.

Wolff is from Patterson, New Jersey, and went to Vassar and Columbia.
                              That's distressing.

Comment

Reed John wrote: I totally overlooked the adverb/adjective distinction, as many Americans do.
                                Vielleicht wäre das der deutsche Einfluss.

Comment

Vielleicht.

Comment

I have an impression that American English is generally more flexible/innovative in taking words across the bridge from one form of speech to another. For example, the readiness with which Americans take nouns and coin transitive verbs from them, especially in a business context. "Action", "task" etc. The first time a work colleague tells you you've been "tasked" with something, the language grates almost as much as the news of the new work burden, but if you are exposed to it enough, it starts to sound normal.

Comment

No. NO. I will not allow this thread to be turned into another British/American English thread.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: I have an impression that American English is generally more flexible/innovative in taking words across the bridge from one form of speech to another. For example, the readiness with which Americans take nouns and coin transitive verbs from them.
                                        Yeah, we know how to party.

Comment

And how to task.

Comment

I'm sure I see "likely" used like that in BrEng all the time, you know. On here and in proper publications, like, not in workspeak.

Comment

The comments on this piece (http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/comment/articles/2013-03/11/top-tables-new-york-restaurants-dining-scene/viewall) are amusing. "What the fuck is wrong with you?" pops up a few times. I imagine most of the commenters got there after a friend forwarded the link with the subject "Die in a Fire." Because I imagine most regular GQ readers relate to his "problems."

For their part, the restaurant personnel - a powerful downstairs tribe that believes it knows and has experienced the full, naked, ugly, vile, demanding behaviour of the upstairs tribe - treat you like a mental patient if you dare to question them. There are new technologies that ought to help represent an empowered consumer point of view. Yelp.com, for instance, is designed to channel the vox-populi concerns of the restaurant public. But Yelp.com is divided between a majority of slavish and fawning commenters who see their cultivation reflected in positively reaffirming their fine-dining experience, and a woeful minority of obviously perverse and choleric individuals.

It is possible, of course, to stay home. But no one does that. Or, if you do, it is probably the first step in starting to think about leaving the city. Why would you be here if not for the restaurants? Oh, and the food. What is left to be said about the food, the pork belly, the polenta, the pear and pomegranate salad? Only that it has become pretty much the same everywhere.
                                              I have often wondered that, to be honest. When I talk to people who insist that living in a big city is the only way to live, it seems like the only major advantage is easy access to retail and restaurants. With the internet, the retail thing isn't so much of a big advantage any more, so more and more it just seems to be about bars and restaurants. The marginal advantage of being able to walk to those kinds of places versus what you can get in the suburbs or sticks isn't worth spending that much on rent, is it?

Yes, there are many other reasons to like a big city - the diversity, the arts, the various "scenes," but I don't hear people talking about those as much. They mostly just talk about "going out." Besides, in the case of New York, at least, a lot of the stuff that made it interesting in former decades is gone in favor of places that appeal to douchebags like this.

Comment

Renart wrote:
                                                Originally posted by ursus arctos
                                                They definitely do drink Fernet with Coke in Argentina. In fact, our resident Argentine and his colleagues do so ostentatiously on every podcast.
                                                Ah, good reminder to add that podcast to my subs. Hand of Pod obviously "gets it."
                                                Indeed we do. Although, whilst that is a bottle of Branca in our cover image, we have now switched brands to one that goes better with Coke (I am refusing to name the brand in question, because for some months their PR department have been teasing me about sponsoring the podcast, and I'm inwardly refusing to give them the publicity until they actually damn well do).

The idea of fernet as a hipster drink is pretty funny to anyone who's experienced it in Argentina. According to Branca Fratteli's own stats, 98% of the Fernet Branca consumed on Earth is consumed in Argentina. And no-one drinks it neat (well, I do sometimes, when I have an especially horrible cold).

Comment

What does it taste like? And how the hell could having it be equated with "getting it?"

Comment

Wolff proceeds to dig deeper by lashing out at young, not super wealthy people. Classy move.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X