Annoying New York Times articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha ha, I don't remember that one, but it reminds me of the ads for Coty Musk and Drakkar Noir. Dangerously sexy!

“There is more looking down, less eye contact,” said Mr. Wallach, 38. “The difference is between the first three days of Burning Man, when everyone is ‘Hey, what’s up?’ to the final three days of Burning Man, when the tent flaps are down. Brooklyn is turning out to be the last three days of Burning Man.”
    I'm so glad he put it in terms everybody can relate to.

Comment

No Hipsturbia on Hudson yet?

Comment

Most of the last page's worth of posts must have seemed a bit cryptic to you, caja!

Comment

My apologies. Should have actually gone back and read, rather than throwing the article that has been the subject of intense annoyance from people in the household.

Comment

I suppose the one sub-plot I can add is that the author and his wife (who is a blogger) are currently looking to buy in Brooklyn. I do have to wonder whether this is him actually writing to his wife to say, y'know, maybe we should look up the Hudson where we can afford shit?

Comment

Once in a while, I have a coffee in a faculty building where you might spot Frenet-Serret equations, and I think "this place gets it".

Comment

Once in a while, I have a coffee in a place that just calls it coffee and I think, "phew".

Comment

When I first stepped into Ginny's Little Longhorn Saloon one Sunday and saw that they had chicken-shit bingo, I thought, "This place gets it."

Comment

The stupidity of this piece has been noticed.
                    http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/02/18/the_new_york_times_creates_hipsturbia_sunday_style s_very_excited_about_new.html

I'd like to again register my hatred of the not so neo neologism "thirty-something" and "twenty-something."

Comment

This isn't from an NYT article but a comment on an article about the possible development of an indoor market in Manhattan along the lines of Pike Place Market in Seattle or Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia. It's like a parody New Yorker:

I just love the kind of market being talked about --when I'm a tourist.

When I do street photography, the proposed market would make an attractive destination.

But, being among the privileged who live in downtown Manhattan, I can't see myself going there to actually buy food.

What people like us are looking for is high end chef prepared foods that can be frozen and placed in the sous vide to cook without much fuss --delivered to our door.

Most people like us in Manhattan do not cook as often, or with as much joy, as we do, but we are always looking for ways to make the process less time consuming, because time is very short and there are so many other things we love to do.

Comment

I had to look up sous vide.

Comment

Ha ha, oy vey. Here's another privileged Manhattanite, this time letting us know what an immense burden it is to get a table at the right restaurants, (and incidentally signalling what an awful, vulgar, insufferable prick he must be in real life).

Modern life has become a three- and often four- or five-meal-a-day restaurant habit. There is the breakfast meeting. At one time, egg-white-only breakfast meetings were a behaviour limited to fat cats – but fat-cat rituals are what we all emulate. So now it’s unthinkable for the rest of us to begin a day without a breakfast meeting (the most important meeting of the day).
                          If you have an assistant, his or her full-time job pretty much becomes getting you a daily booking. If your assistant is any good at all, he or she will have narrowed lunch to four or five places and have, by careful trial and error, measured how far in advance it's necessary to call in order to avoid rejection and disaster. Repetition - say, six months of bookings - will finally get you a favourable database field and a reliable table (until someone else starts to book who is yet more faithful or famous than you, at which point you're downgraded). But, of course, if you don't have an assistant, this is your full-time job. You can be cavalier or passive-aggressive about it and not give a damn about where you book at the last minute. But, to be honest, if someone takes me to, say, a grim little Japanese place for lunch, instead of a prestigious destination, I drop them.
                          This article makes me wish mugging would make a comeback in NYC.

Incidentally, when Mrs. Renart and I were in San Francisco a few weeks ago, we went to a dive bar in the Mission (The 500 Club), and were amused to see that they had a Fernet Branca special. "This place gets it," we said to each other sarcastically, but we had to try it, of course. Tasted very mouthwashy, a la Scope or Listerine. Apparently San Francisco has the highest Fernet consumption in the U.S., and has even since before Fernet became a hipster enthusiasm second only to putting birds on things.

Comment

Michael Wolff thinks only losers and rubes have sous vides.

If I ever give up on New York, it will be because of restaurants. For an adult in the city, restaurants occupy about as much time in a day, and impose as many rules, and create a similar insecurity or nameless rage, as school in the life of a child. There are other similarities: going to the right restaurants is at least as important as going to the right schools.
                            EDIT: Ah, Renart, great minds . . .

Comment

I likely wouldn't have sex with someone who said "likely" when they meant "probably". For FACK's sake.

Comment

What people like us are looking for is high end chef prepared foods that can be frozen and placed in the sous vide to cook without much fuss --delivered to our door.

Most people like us in Manhattan do not cook as often, or with as much joy, as we do, but we are always looking for ways to make the process less time consuming, because time is very short and there are so many other things we love to do.

This doesn't even make sense. Sous vide is a slow method of cookery. Speed it up and you've got what the Birdseye chefs used to call boiling-in-the-bag. He just doesn't want to admit that he eats ready meals so is using carefully deployed wankerishness to throw us off the scent.

Comment

Would you say it was working?

Comment

Well, surely, you don't have a "sous vide" you cook "sous vide" what you have is a controlled temperature water circulator. And presumably, something to vacuumise your food.

As it happens, I really badly want one. For the deeply pathetic reason of boiled eggs. I hate normal boiled eggs, but love the textures of the 63 degree egg. So, it may be that I'll go there. I'm interested, too, in how it works cooking real food. But the main thing is the eggs.

As for Fernet Branca, it makes me very sad that it's become a core hipster drink, because now I look like a douche when I order one. It's delicious, but it's all about time and place: mostly settling the stomach after eating way too much.

Fernet Branca cocktails just seems deeply odd to me. It already has a confusing enough flavour. You really don't want to be adding more things to it.

Comment

La Lanterne Rouge wrote: Fernet Branca cocktails just seems deeply odd to me. It already has a confusing enough flavour. You really don't want to be adding more things to it.
                                      At The 500 Club, for what it's worth, the fernet was served on its own in a tumbler, no ice, but with a ginger ale chaser.

Comment

That's one step better. But it still seems a little strange. You want one after a giant dinner of spaetzle or pasta and cream as a digestif, to dissolve everything that's in your stomach; not as something to linger over in a club.

Comment

LLR, I'm guessing that they have one of these.

Comment

I think you were meant to drink it as a shot, then have the ginger ale, though we took sips because we didn't know what we were doing and wanted to know what it tasted like. Shot then ginger ale is apparently the traditional San Francisco way of drinking fernet, presumably perfected by old Italian men hanging out in North Beach cafes while digesting cioppino.

Wikipedia claims they drink fernet with cola in Argentina.

Comment

And that, ursus, is almost exactly what I want. And I see it's called a "sous vide" here. Which is nonsensical because there's nothing in that product that can create a vacuum.

(Incidentally, I understand that I'm turning into a character in a NYT article, with my faddish criticisms of how people drink Fernet Branca, and how to use a water circulator for cooking. In fact, I may already have been one for years.)

Comment

Wyatt Earp wrote: Would you say it was working?
                                                I'm just envious of the joy they take in their cooking. Crabbed and resentful of their unselfconscious pleasure in life.

Now, if only someone would offer a high end chef prepared main course 'for the sous-vide', side dish and dessert for two, with a bottle of wine, for £10.

Comment

They definitely do drink Fernet with Coke in Argentina. In fact, our resident Argentine and his colleagues do so ostentatiously on every podcast.

LLR, we don't judge here. There's also this kind, which requires you to supply your own pot.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: They definitely do drink Fernet with Coke in Argentina. In fact, our resident Argentine and his colleagues do so ostentatiously on every podcast.
                                                    Ah, good reminder to add that podcast to my subs. Hand of Pod obviously "gets it."

Comment

Working...
                                                    X