Annoying New York Times articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, sometimes the NYT is impossible to parody.

"In case you haven’t noticed, some of the most amusing and captivating writing in the city is being produced in the service of cheese."

Indeed.

Jezebel had a pretty good article recently about the NYT covering the young founders of Jacobin as serious intellectual, but giving the female founders of The New Inquiry the stomach-churning Fashion & Style treatment.

(Both journals are quite good in my opinion.)

Comment

Also today, there's an article about diners taking photos of their food (way to be about 2 years behind the trend, NYT!), which has this paragraph, presented without parody:

Even Valery Rizzo, who teaches a class in iPhone food photography, thinks the trend has crossed a line. Tired of seeing uncentered, flash-marred photos of indistinguishable glop, Ms. Rizzo taught a course last fall at 3rd Ward in Bushwick, Brooklyn, to try to raise the bar. Ms. Rizzo briefs her students not only on the apps available, like Instagram, Foodie SnapPak and Camera+, but also tries to teach them lessons on composition and lighting. “No. 1 rule is no flash,” she said. “A lot of food photos are hideous because of the flash.”
      I recommend reading that article, just for the bit about one woman's grandfather and what he does alone. I was literally laughing out loud.

Comment

Oy.

Do you listen the Uhh Yeah Dude podcast, Inca? I think you would dig it. They were making fun of the compulsive urge to Instagram/Twitpic your food a few weeks ago. Funny stuff!

Comment

I have never heard of it. I don't know if I have any more time in my life for another podcast...I have too many built up!

Comment

I know how it is, but I think you should give this one a try. They're L.A.-based and very funny. Lots of making fun of silly newspaper articles and press releases. You know, relevant to our interests!

Comment

You guys ever read Katie Baker's dissections of the NYT wedding section? I don't think she's done one for a while, sadly, but they're terrific.

Comment

Renart wrote: I know how it is, but I think you should give this one a try. They're L.A.-based and very funny. Lots of making fun of silly newspaper articles and press releases. You know, relevant to our interests!
                Thanks, sounds to be in my wheelhouse.

Comment

Flynnie wrote: You guys ever read Katie Baker's dissections of the NYT wedding section? I don't think she's done one for a while, sadly, but they're terrific.
                  good stuff.
                  http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8147513/weddings-ivy-league-colleges-new-york-times

Comment

I feel like we need some kind of thing on here that allows one to create a visual map of threads that touch on the same topics.

Right here, we have one of my favorite annoyances - douchey New Yorkers, which I brought up in the NFL thread - not because it was really on point, but because it annoys me so. Also, I want to talk more about The Great Gatsby because I'm currently listening to it on audible.com (Amazon's answer to books on tape, but not on tape because this is 2012) read by Tim Robbins and I feel the need to discuss it's awesomeness and reflect on how, even though every American kid is forced to read that book in school (or should be, goddamnit) somehow the popular culture seems to remember it as a celebration of flapper style, which it isn't. At all. While I too sometimes think it would be cool, just for the fuck of it, to roll into a meeting or wedding or small town airport wearing a white suit - the less appropriate an occasion the better - Jay Gatsby ought not ever be understood by anyone to be any kind or role model (or even roll model). He was a gangster who succumbed to a life of crime so he could get rich and impress a rich spoiled debutant girl who treated him like shit (in this way, teenage boys can instantly relate to the story) because she lived her whole life in a milieu of people treating other people like shit. Her husband, despite going to Yale, was, essentially, just a stupid redneck.

The book is very clearly about "the cruel rich." It's about as anti-rich-people a book as a guy like Fitzgerald could possibly come up with. If anything, young people should aspire to be more like Nick. At least he learns something in the story.

Sorry for the digression...

Comment

Incandenza wrote: Thanks, sounds to be in my wheelhouse.
                      I truly think you'd like it, though I did find that it got progressively funnier for me. The first episode I listened to was pretty good, but it didn't become hilarious to me until I had heard a few more episodes and started to get their personalities and senses of humor.

Comment

This one really takes the gluten-free fair trade biscuit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/fashion/creating-hipsturbia-in-the-suburbs-of-new-york.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

"Futurist Consultant??!?!"

DIAF!

Comment

After reading Flynnie's link I'm starting to think that the Khmer Rouge's Year Zero policy wasn't such a bad idea.

What a truly horrendous collection of spoiled bastards.

Comment

Wow, Reed, that is one intense piece of work from the NYT. I'd forgotten how good these are. While I know what the individual words mean, their accumulation and proximity could induce a panic attack. "...it is no longer unusual to see a heritage-clad novelist type with ironic mutton chops sipping shade-grown coffee at the patisserie or hear 30-somethings in statement sneakers discuss their latest film project as they wait for the 9:06 to Grand Central", go the sentences.

The gist seems to be: some people you might have expected to live in Brooklyn ten years ago now live in a different area instead.

This is my favourite paragraph:

Mr. McNeil is one half of the lauded street-art duo Faile, known for its explosive swirls of graffiti art, wheat-paste sloganeering and punk rock. He wears his hair in a top bun and bears tattoos with his sons’ names, Denim and Bowie, on his forearms. His wife, Nicole Miziolek, is an acupuncturist.
                            Wheat-paste sloganeering?

Comment

“Hastings-on-Hudson is a village, in a Wittgensteinian sort of way,” Mr. Wallach said. He added, “We are constantly hearing about the slow-food movement, the slow-learning movement and the slow-everything-else. So why not just go avant-garde into a slow-village movement?”
                              There is no way a human being said this, but I admire the journalist for their gall.

Comment

I'm not sure what Wittgenstein said about villages, but I'm sure he's rolling in his grave to find out he was cited in one of these doucherama aricles.

WTF are "statement" sneakers? I probably wear them, but I'm not doing it ironically.

Filson gear is very nice, but very pricey. I don't think this is really the demo they're going for. I think they're targeting rich dudes that own ranches in Jackson Hole.

Comment

I have no idea what Wittgenstein said about villages, and neither does the writer or his glove-puppet speaker. It must just be a thing hipsters say, what with hipsters all being philosophy enthusiasts, novelists and screenwriters, and not just dull middle class kids with disposable income and a taste for mildly novel leisure environs.

Likewise 'statement sneakers' - I don't imagine they exist in 3D, only in wordslides from fashion hacks.

Comment

Statement sneakers certainly do exist

http://www.complex.com/sneakers/

Comment

Wow. I was going to make some snide comments about that article but, really, there are just so many places that it's almost impossible to start. But, you know, I can't resist the hilarious suggestion that all the hipsters in Brooklyn with non-paying but ultra-cool jobs and could somehow afford to live in 1200 square foot apartments are getting driven out by "trustafarians".

And that it's news that people in their 30s and 40s with kids decide to move out of the city into the suburbs because they want more space and fewer parties.

Really, that article could easily be subtitled: "Everything that's wrong with modern Greater New York, distilled".

Comment

"He wears his hair in a top bun and bears tattoos with his sons’ names, Denim and Bowie, on his forearms."

Comment

'“Once in a while, you’ll think, ‘This place gets it,’ because they have a Fernet Branca cocktail on their menu.” '

Comment

Here, beside the gray-suited salarymen and four-door minivans, it is no longer unusual to see a heritage-clad novelist type with ironic mutton chops sipping shade-grown coffee at the patisserie, or hear 30-somethings in statement sneakers discuss their latest film project as they wait for the 9:06 to Grand Central.
                                            Gray-suited salarymen have never sounded so fascinating and charismatic as they do in that context. I expect some of them from time to time will make interesting statements, unlike the sneakers.

Seriously, it's as if those dickheads have no self-awareness at all.

Comment

I'm sure these douches find it almost as exciting to live amongst "grey suited salarymen" as they used to amongst the poverty-ridden underclasses of the urban slums. Because they're oh so exotic and different.

Comment

Glad to see this still going in my hiatus.

Lucia Lanigan wrote:
                                                Wheat-paste sloganeering?
                                                That actually makes sense to me. Wheat pasting is putting up posters on electrical boxes, etc., so I assume they put up messages as street art.

Comment

This guy named his child "Denim"?

Comment

apparently so!

Did you ever have this Denim aftershave ad campaign (from the early 80s?) in the US?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X