Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ursus arctos
    replied
    https://twitter.com/MaxKennerly/status/1550087052099821569?s=20&t=wE6BWAy9Em69t6hzdWS2Ug

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Partisanship is tearing America apart, but that's axiomatic/tautological.

The media elite's obsession with "cancel culture," both the people bitching about it and the people trying to make it happen, is irritating.

It just means that people who say or do bad things, or are reported for doing so, will be substantially less popular than they were before those reports came out.

Twas always thus.

The Beatles got "cancelled" for supposedly saying they were more important than Jesus. They didn't actually say that, of course.

Dylan got cancelled for going electric. (Not really, but the story that he did got legs).

Jerry Lee Lewis got cancelled, at least for a while, for marrying his 13-year-old cousin. Jesus fucking Christ.

Thomas Paine, still favorably quoted by the left and right as America's first great hype man, was cancelled for being an atheist, criticizing George Washington, and supporting an inheritance tax to pay for a guaranteed minimum income.

Alexander Hamilton got canceled, by Thomas Jefferson (who was actually kind of a dick, in addition to being a rapist), for having a bit on the side.

Jesus got cancelled for knocking over some money changers' tables in the temple.

And fake attribution isn't new either.

Mark Twain is often quoted as saying "A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth puts on its shoes." That metaphor does reflect reality. But Mark Twain never said that. The irony of that is beautiful.
    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 06-07-2022, 17:31.

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    They're really going hard for that target audience who think that Trump was the biggest threat to American democracy ever and that every election is the most important one of our lifetimes, but who also want to truly understand and connect with the people that want to take away peoples' civil rights, and also think that partisanship and cancel culture is tearing America apart.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    It doesn't make commercial sense.

I fully expect that virtually all of the Ivy professors who "like 'em young" subscribe to the paper, but that surely is a de minimis fraction of their 10 million subscribers. That cohort has also been reduced by one following the Princeton resignation,

The best that I can come up with is editors and columnists protecting their friends, neighbours, and people they "summer" with, but it is a bizarre way to run the "paper of record".

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    The Times seems to be appealing to a vanishingly thin segment of the population - people who want to be seen as liberal or, at least, educated and open-minded, but only are when it doesn't cost them anything at all, even minor inconvenience.

I get that that is a very wealthy demographic, and that the cache of working there is still impressive to the kinds of people those people are trying to impress, but I don't know if I'd be so impressed if I were an advertiser. It's like they're telling advertisers "don't buy ads on the NFL. Buy them on the America's Cup!"

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    I haven't listened yet, but I did read the episode description and they nailed it--the NYT certainly seems to have the consent manufacturing equipment cranked up with all of these pieces they've run lately.

Leave a comment:

• Flynnie
    replied
    Chapo had a whopper of a trio of NYT bullshit today, between Mrs Stephens’s pathetic equivalence of Roe with the term “birthing people”, a trad-Cath woman who decided her ectopic pregnancy procedure wasn’t an abortion*, and a dinner party with a woman who makes Carrie Symonds seem grounded and logical and her sacked professor (victim of CANCEL CULTURE, you see) husband.

*it turned out the foetus had already died, but you got the sense she was like those women who call their abortion providers baby killers after availing themselves of their services

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Fortunately, I don’t know who these people are and don’t care.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Yeah, she is a PoS

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    Perhaps I'm a bit late on this, but I wasn't aware that Pamela Paul, the former NYT Book Review editor (and therefore one of the most powerful people in publishing), is now an opinion columnist, and..."has thoughts about gender"

https://twitter.com/erikhane/status/1543574064761012225

https://twitter.com/KyleLukoff/status/1543957468329693184

https://twitter.com/timmaughan/status/1543942381933838337?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
    Other major regional papers are flawed but better. The WaPo, LA Times and Boston Globe I think are all probably still better, although much of the rest of the US's high quality regional papers have been gutted over the last couple of decades.
    The LA Times was a great paper until the late 90s. It's been recovering and it has some good young reporters, but it just no longer has the financial capacity to strive to be a national paper, as it once did (it goes to the printers in Los Angeles earlier than the national edition of the NY Times does because it's cheaper)

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    It had a brief vogue as a progressive paper in the late 60s - 70s, but it has been all downhill since.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    I know about the Post. I get Newsday and The Daily News mixed up.
    For reasons I cannot explain, I recently watched a bit of Top Secret, a 1984 spoof film made by the guys who made Airplane! They're known for being a bit politically conservative, but that film has a joke about how braindead the NY Postis, so it's not new, apparently.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Newsday (now owned by Dolan's smarter son (a very low bar given Jimmy).

The Daily News is "New York's Picture Newspaper" and the historical tabloid leader,

The New York Post is the Murdoch paper and like Fox News, now incessantly telling its readers that they are all going die horrible deaths at the hands of Black people and "illegals" while "elites" and "liberals" laugh at them.
    Last edited by ursus arctos; 13-06-2022, 20:41.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Which is the Long Island-focused one? Is that The Daily News?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    The Times' local reporting is the best of the dailies by some distance, but the better sources are now on line - WNYC/Gothamist, The City, Gotham Gazette and Hell Gate, most prominently.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    The editorial board knew Richard Nixon

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    So what sea change happened between 1956 and 1960?

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    The Times runs a relatively decent local reporting team that no-one outside of NYC really cares about - certainly better than any others I can think of. I do think that for comprehensive local coverage you shift to NPR.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Is the Times regarded as the best source of day to day info on what’s happening in New York? Is there another one? Not the Post, I hope.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    It remains central to those who think there is such a thing as a "paper of record"

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Primarily the centrality of NYC to the business and media ecosystem and the demise of much of the competition.
    Is NYC still central to the media ecosystem? For an alarming number of people Facebook is “the media.”

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    The Times came quite close to killing the Globe during the period when it owned the Boston paper.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Other major regional papers are flawed but better. The WaPo, LA Times and Boston Globe I think are all probably still better, although much of the rest of the US's high quality regional papers have been gutted over the last couple of decades.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Primarily the centrality of NYC to the business and media ecosystem and the demise of much of the competition.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X