Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try it now

Here's a link

Though it is their Twitter frame based on this quote that puts it beyond the pale.

The Kennedys have long occupied the American political culture as the unofficial royal family, but this week, the Trumps appeared to present themselves as the 2019 version.

Comment

I feel unwell. Almost every element of that makes me want to vomit.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

Well, I'm taxed but can't vote... so...
        They didn’t even really get that right. The one thing they definitely got right was getting rid of royalty and hereditary titles and yet we’ve been trying to restore that system ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
          I feel unwell. Almost every element of that makes me want to vomit.
          You should probably go with that impulse. You’ll feel better.

Comment

Why can't people just not drink? Why does it have to become a designated lifestyle with a name and special places to do it* and why does the "tech" industry's take on it matter so much?

I've all but stopped drinking any alcohol. It's not good for my mental health or diet or finances so I just gave it up. I wasn't doing it much anyway, but now I've really give it up. I suppose it's a challenge in that I can't pretend to get excited about "craft beer" any more, but then if I'm honest with myself, I never really was, so not much of a loss there.

Aren't places to hang out, hear music and not drink booze called coffee houses or, you know, a cafe? Not a new idea, to say the least.
            Around here, those places but that's not true in major cities, is it?
            Getaway in Brooklyn was comfortably full for a Saturday night, when I came in to try my first "shrub" — an acidic beverage made from vinegar, fruit, sugar, club soda and zero alcohol.

Comment

I would struggle to think of any cafe here which doesn't sell alcohol.

Comment

See also Italy or France.

The US distinctions are another indication of our weird attitudes towards alcohol.

Comment

“Cafe” is a broad term that describes a lot of different kinds of places* but in general I don’t think of cafes as a place primarily to drink alcohol and not drinking alcohol at such a place would not be considered odd, would it?

Whereas not drinking at a bar or a pub would seem more unusual, I think?

*As it turns out, the place in this town known as The Cafe (Cafe 210 West, to be precise) is a pretty standard student boozer. Bouncers, pitcher specials, nachos, sketchy bathrooms, etc. But it has a pretty big outdoor seating are so the owners call it a Cafe.

Comment

Not drinking alcohol is not considered strange, no.

Nor is drinking it in a "café" thought odd, either. I've just made a rough count and within half a kilometre in any direction from where I live there must be more than 50 establishments where you can refresh yourself. If any of these stopped selling booze they'd be out of business overnight,

It's not that everyone here is an alcoholic (though a worrying number of people are). It's just that while most folk are prepared to get by until the evening on coffee etc. there are many who, for example, will have a beer or wine at 10.30 along with their bocadillo. Very few people will bat an eyelid at this. Even in cafés doubling as bakeries there will always be various alcoholic options behind the counter. But beer and wine here are often hardly considered as alcoholic (even though of course they are!) but more as a refreshment, especially on warm days.

You also have to consider the café culture here as well. Not many people meet for drinks at home. The bar/café/pub etc. is where the action happens.

Comment

Giving up alcohol was great for the budget, weight, and overall health. I never miss it, though I was never more than a moderate drinker.

When I read that Alexander the Great was a heavy drinker, I decided that alcohol must explain how post-Stone Age, pre-gunpowder armies could surrender enough judgment to actually hack each other to bits. You wouldn't have had that with cannabis. Can the Roman Empire best be explained by a series of preemptive wars in the name of national defense, or by the fact that they all got drunk a lot and there was no TV? Didn't the barbarians invade because they wanted their vineyards?

Comment

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1149260810222485504

Comment

Capitalism is great.

Comment

Working...
                          X