Annoying New York Times articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those articles are great because almost everyone can find something to hate. Entitled young people. Entitled immigrants-of-convenience. Gaudy cars. Watches that are worth more than you.

Comment

That's one of our current world's many sad ironies. The immigrants who politicians hate are poor and, for the most part, contributing far more than the take. But the super wealthy "immigrants", who politicians court, are actually making things materially worse for a lot of people by buying up real estate that, in many cases, they're just sitting on to stash/launder money. They're not contributing anything to the community.

Comment

The neighbourhood we lived in until three years ago has changed a good deal. There are entire blocks that are half empty. The lights in the houses go on and off and yards are maintained. There are even Christmas and Halloween decorations put up, but no one lives there. It's really quite creepy. That, as much as cashing out, is what's driving long-time residents away now. It's like living in a movie set that's been shut down.

Comment

What can be done about it and is anyone trying to do it?

Where I live, there are homes owned by out-of-towners who only use them on football game weekends. Not many, but it's a thing. And working-class people can't afford to live here.

Comment

It looks as though the provincial government is — reluctantly — going to introduce a non-occupancy tax shortly. Quite what it'll consist of, and how effective it'll be remains to be seen. There's significant lack of will at a political level to mess with the "free-market." They're also shit scared that they'll burst, what some still believe is a bubble, and incur the wrath of voters who fear their main investment will plummet in value.

Comment

Not NYT, but I'm sure that's coming. Truly, we are in the Nero years of our empire.

http://gawker.com/i-have-no-idea-what-this-startup-does-and-nobody-will-t-1771036238?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=Gaw ker_twitter

Comment

http://www.businessoffashion.com/articles/market-gps/flush-with-tech-wealth-san-francisco-warms-to-fashion

This is a breathtaking paragraph about what "San Francisco needs."

"It’s this affluence that former Vogue editor Emily Holt hopes will buoy her concept store Hero Shop, which she plans to open in midsummer on San Francisco’s Post Street. The location is not far from Mid-Market, on the periphery of the Tenderloin neighbourhood, the city’s traditional skid row, where a legion of homeless people still live alongside emerging art galleries and tech start-ups. Holt currently has a small group angel investors, all of who are women and believe the city — and the greater region — needs more specialty retail."

Comment

Post Street has had high end fashion shops for decades, including Wilkes Bashford and Cable Car Clothiers (perhaps familiar to older New Yorker readers from its adverts). There were also fancy women's stores a bit further west.

Comment

I don't know how you remember details like that.

Comment

I know. It's as if his brain's not all clogged up with song lyrics and Simpsons quotes. I'd add sports statistics, but I suspect he knows a lot of those. And some law stuff.

Comment

I guess.

Just wanted to flag this one again.

http://gawker.com/i-have-no-idea-what-this-startup-does-and-nobody-will-t-1771036238?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=Gaw ker_twitter

It's about some kind of enterprise run by a rich kid who is a sophomore at Yale. Nobody can figure out what it does or how it will make money, but this kid has somehow managed to get a regular byline in the WSJ writing about his "experience" as an entrepreneur.

Comment

Ah go on, Reed. I'll bite. I've read the article, with my jaw hanging open. Favourite bit:-

In a state of desperation, I did the thing I swore I’d never do: I asked the company’s public relations team for help. Asking a corporate PR squad for simple, concrete, spin-free facts is an almost sadomasochistic experience, but what else was left? Helena is working with Rogers & Cowan, a bi-coastal firm that specializes in entertainment. Contracting a company to help you with your “message” is extremely expensive, which means there’s (A) a considerable amount of money at Helena—new, if not shocking information—and (B) some sort of message that needs messaging, maybe.

The first rep with whom I exchanged emails refused to speak with me on the phone, which as far as I know is a first in the history of public relations—I’ve literally had more success exchanging words with the communications office of the CIA.

Comment

I don't know how you remember details like that.
                            I used to walk down Post Street every day on the way to work and have a very strong visual memory.

The reason why the kid from Yale has been given a platform by the Wall Street Journal is because the Journal's target market consists of people who either have kids, grandkids, nieces or nephews like that kid or desperately want their progeny to emulate him.

Comment

I get that. I'm just not sure that WSJ's readers get that or understand the problems with it.

Comment

I don't think it matters.

The dynamic seems to be "Oh, this is something that [name of progeny] might be interested in. I will [click/e-mail/forward]"

Comment

I just don't understand how, in 2016, there are people who really aspire to be "preppies" in every sense - or any sense. That's just completely alien to me.

Comment

I'm only about halfway through this, but already it more than belongs on this thread.

An interview with Elizabeth II's party planner (and cousin).

She described how the queen had had her grandchildren over for dinner. “And she said to me that she found it really difficult,” Lady Elizabeth said, “because they didn’t really know how to talk each other. And she said, ‘I suppose it’s because they’re always getting up and down and helping somebody and putting something in a dishwasher or whatever they’re doing, because they don’t have enough staff.’”

Comment

I don't get that. Is it saying that William and Harry do their own dishes?

Comment

No, it quite clearly says they own dishwashers. (Which given she says 'putting something in a dishwasher' I take to mean the machine - but given who it we're talking about perhaps she thinks they're both screwing the help.)

Comment

Yeah, but it still implies that Kate and William load their own dishwasher, which seems unlikely.

Comment

I suppose "putting something in a dish washer" would be very different from "putting something in a dishwasher"

Comment

Reed John wrote: http://www.businessoffashion.com/articles/market-gps/flush-with-tech-wealth-san-francisco-warms-to-fashion

This is a breathtaking paragraph about what "San Francisco needs."

"It’s this affluence that former Vogue editor Emily Holt hopes will buoy her concept store Hero Shop, which she plans to open in midsummer on San Francisco’s Post Street. The location is not far from Mid-Market, on the periphery of the Tenderloin neighbourhood, the city’s traditional skid row, where a legion of homeless people still live alongside emerging art galleries and tech start-ups. Holt currently has a small group angel investors, all of who are women and believe the city — and the greater region — needs more specialty retail."
                                              People in SF can't dress? Since when?

Comment

That wasn't the point I was going for, but that too.

Comment

It's the Guardian, but NO:

If Beyoncé can get past the trauma of being cheated on, America should be able to survive beyond November. Beyoncé is the ultimate survivor, defined by her strength in the face of adversity. Hillary Clinton, the presumptive Democratic nominee, might need a bit of that resolve if she’s going to get through the next few months.

Hillary knows a few things about the trauma of a husband breaking his vows and the subsequent necessary self-healing. I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that Hillary ran into the woods or demolished a load of cars with a baseball bat when she heard the news that her spouse – the leader of the free world – violated her trust. Instead of releasing an album of caustic rebukes and introspective malaise accompanied by an epic short film, she dropped a memoir called Living History in 2003. It was Lemonade without Serena Williams, Zendaya, explosions, dozens of costume changes, and highly woke intersectional feminism. In truth, it was a book by a rich, old white lady, but close enough.

In Living History, she explained that her commitment to Bill was tested, but not broken because their connection was too strong, that they’d been through too much together to throw it all away. She managed to explain her decision and own her feelings without looking weak in the process – like a miniature, whiter Beyoncé.

Comment

Good grief. It's almost enough to make me want to vote for Ted Cruz and go and download a Jay-Z album.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X