Annoying New York Times articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought that at least it was good that he recognized the antipathy to Thatcher. When she died, I saw a lot of shocking comments on American websites about how sad, how great she was, etc., but I guess they were too young or were brainwashed by that movie.

Comment

Yes, I suppose so.

Although Thatcher-love is not universal in the U.S., especially among liberals and the left-ish. And soccer fandom here skews leftward, I'd guess. Certainly more than fandom of our "big four" sports, NFL, baseball, basketball, and ice hockey.

Comment

I found it very odd that a Californian kid who wasn't born when Thatcher was in power was referencing her as core to Liverpool. I mean, I thought it was a pretty core political foundation for fans of nearly every Northern club.

Comment

Right, but how many of those other Northern clubs have become "global franchises" that this guy has heard of?

Comment

Um, Manchester United?

Comment

Yes, I know, I was making fun.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: Um, Manchester United?
                Not sure. Shortly after singing a famous song of "When the Reds go Marching in", the young man in question may have engaged in verses of a song questioning the existential being of Liverpool's rivals, Manchester United.

Comment

There is a certain pleasure these days... When someone discovers I'm English over here, they think often they have a common bond so ask which team I support.

And then I say "Oxford" and they haven't got a fucking clue what to respond because I've thrown them off their comfort zone of being superior and obscure.

I don't mind when it's 40 or 50 year olds who are just making polite conversation, or, even better, the bloke I met the other day on the golf course who was GM of the Seattle Sounders back in the 70s who actually knew and cared about football. Then I'll be polite, accepting that nobody in their right mind would have the faintest idea who Oxford United are.

But I love messing with the hipsters who've adopted a BRC and think it makes them the cutting edge of obscure. They desperately try to find any reference point at all, and universally fail, falling back to "What league are they in" (not even what division).

Comment

La Lanterne Rouge wrote: There is a certain pleasure these days... When someone discovers I'm English over here, they think often they have a common bond so ask which team I support.

And then I say "Oxford" and they haven't got a fucking clue what to respond because I've not said either "United" or "City".
                    Fixed that for you...

Comment

Do Oxford City have a retro strip made by TOFFs?

Cheltenham don't.

This reminds me of that fit up where we playing our first league game, and a photographer turned up and photographed a bowling green.

The Oxford-based media have always been against us.

Comment

It's the aeons-long trans-Cotswold rivalry that has split families asunder for generations!

Comment

Renart wrote: Yes, I suppose so.

Although Thatcher-love is not universal in the U.S., especially among liberals and the left-ish. And soccer fandom here skews leftward, I'd guess. Certainly more than fandom of our "big four" sports, NFL, baseball, basketball, and ice hockey.
                          "Ice" hockey. That's cute.

Comment

Do they not play it on ice anymore? I can't keep up with all the customs of the northern lands.

Comment

We also practice snow skiing and water swimming.

Comment

Do they not have field hockey up there? How do preppy girls in Canada take out their aggressions on each other, if not?

Comment

La Lanterne Rouge wrote: It's the aeons-long trans-Cotswold rivalry that has split families asunder for generations!
                                  We're not in the Cotswolds. We're not Cirencester.

I expect TOFFs make one of their old shirts. Probably do Yate and Cinderford as well. And Gloucester.

Comment

Renart wrote: Do they not have field hockey up there? How do preppy girls in Canada take out their aggressions on each other, if not?
                                    We do, and we call it field hockey. We don't modify hockey to specify 'ice' though. There's also ringette, which is ice hockey with a straight stick and a felt ring, mainly played by women.

I've perhaps told the story of when I was seeing this cute, short little blonde pixie of a thing back around '89/'90. I was watching her ringette game when suddenly she turns and cold cocks an opposing player, getting a three minute penalty for her trouble. When I asked her about it later she said "Bitch was crowding me."

...girls.

Comment

Renart wrote: Do they not have field hockey up there? How do preppy girls in Canada take out their aggressions on each other, if not?
                                      There were rumours.
                                      He was into field hockey players.

Comment

So you applied, basically?

Comment

I admit to nothing!

Comment

I was just at knitting circle at my alma mater, which is near my work, and one of the knitters described when her one-year-old recently bit someone: "It was like a Luis Suarez moment." Did not expect that.

Comment

They have girls rugby in Canada. And hockey. And field hockey too. I know they have women's field hockey because the Canadian team played the US team not far from here (in the excellently named Spooky Nook training facility where the US team is based) and a lot of the US players are from PA so it's in the paper.

I see WOM's point. Calling it "ice hockey" shows that one is either European, southern, or just not too familiar with the game. Since Pennsylvania is probably the only place in North America where both games are fairly popular, it can be an issue here. There's been a big push to make sure all of Penn State's hockey merch just says "hockey." In the past, it often said "ice hockey."

Comment

I said "ice hockey" since we've got English-speakers from all around the world on OTF, and it's good to be specific so they know what you're talking about. Same reason I often write "football" for association football (and gridiron for American football) even though in everyday speech here in the U.S. I would never use those terms.

Comment

I see. I thought maybe it was because you live in Texas where ice is kind of a novelty.

Comment

It's not a novelty! We've got a thingy on the front of our fridge that dispenses ice at a touch! Can't have iced tea without it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X