Annoying New York Times articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renart wrote: Also, it's given me yet another idea for taunting Timbers fans: chant "Put a bird on it!" after your club scores against Portland.

Singing "Dream of the Nineties" when they're losing might be good, too.
    That's outstanding.

I thought about this a lot when I was in San Francisco.
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/succession-of-terrible-events-fails-to-befall-33ye,27597/

Comment

That's a classic!

Comment

As I was walking home from the subway last night, I was passed by three longboarders with messenger bags.

I was really hoping we wouldn't have to move again so soon.

Comment

I didn't know longboard skateboards were "a thing" elsewhere. I remember being annoyed by them when I was in college.

Comment

My brother-in-law showed up with one for my kids last summer, so I took it for a spin. I don't quite understand the physics involved, but damn do they seem to go a lot faster than regular skateboards.

Comment

What would happen if someone used a Best Made axe to smash a longboard to pieces? Would they neutralise each other or cause some kind of uncontrollable chain reaction?

If the latter, then it's just as well that the Best Made 'Playing The Hero' sexual roleplay kit contains plenty of honest, artisanal quality equipment that might come in useful in other disastrous situations:

Comment

Here's another annoying article, actually from the New York Times this time, in which a guy who became a multimillionaire after selling his Internet company in 1998 tells us all about the virtues of living with less:

For me, it took 15 years, a great love and a lot of travel to get rid of all the inessential things I had collected and live a bigger, better, richer life with less.
                And now, he can tell us the secrets he learned!

I followed her ("Olga, an Andorran beauty") to Barcelona when her visa expired and we lived in a tiny flat, totally content and in love before we realized that nothing was holding us in Spain. We packed a few clothes, some toiletries and a couple of laptops and hit the road. We lived in Bangkok, Buenos Aires and Toronto with many stops in between...

The relationship with Olga eventually ended, but my life never looked the same. I live smaller and travel lighter. I have more time and money.
                Can't wait to tell some poor people about this!

Comment

Gawker's on it, of course.

Comment

Despite his smugness, there is a lot to be said for having less stuff around. I'm working on it.

Comment

I couldn't read that. I don't want to be lectured by a rich person about how it's so much better not to want things, man.

Comment

Indeed. And he manages to keep his life "full" by jetting around the world and starting small companies. Not really a cheap lifestyle.

Living with less stuff in an economy like ours is actually kinda hard, because it requires a lot of decisions. It's easier to just keep/buy all the stuff just in case you need it later. I don't mean big expensive stuff, but assorted stuff that comes in handy occasionally or you thought might be good to have once but didn't or stuff people give you that you don't want to get rid of because it was a gift. Etc.

Comment

I used to run into this kind of thing a lot when I was doing architecture writing. Firms and rich people would send us photos of their minimal, green-certified, incredibly expensive houses, when of course the greenest thing to do would be to buy an old house and gradually improve its energy efficiency. But that doesn't look as sexy.

Anyway, yes, less stuff is better, but it's grating when the advice is coming from a multimillionaire nomad who doesn't need to work or raise children or commute, etc.

Comment

It's a bit of a paradox, though. You don't want to take financial advice from a rich person, and nobody would take it from a poor person either.

Comment

Jeez, there's a niche I could write to: The Middle Class Person's Guide to A Somewhat Comfortable Future

Comment

Bachelorette parties where the women draw nude models.

Comment

WOM wrote: Jeez, there's a niche I could write to: The Middle Class Person's Guide to A Somewhat Comfortable Future
                                  Just make sure the book is reasonably priced.

Comment

Trying to get rid of stuff is (or should be) on the list of stuff white people like.

Comment

WOM wrote: Jeez, there's a niche I could write to: The Middle Class Person's Guide to A Somewhat Comfortable Future
                                      Aside from his southern/somewhat conservative Christian bent - which he doesn't mention much in the stuff of his I've seen - that's pretty much what Dave Ramsey is all about. My dad is a big fan of his and has given he some of his books and DVDs. It's all very sensible stuff although much of it is about how to talk to your spouse about family finances.

The Christian part mainly comes insofar as sensible financial management can take a lot of strain off of a marriage and that helps the marriage survive. I think statistics back that up. Fighting over money does sink a lot of marriages. He also encourages charitable giving and living within one's means, which is broadly Christian.

Comment

linus wrote: Trying to get rid of stuff is (or should be) on the list of stuff white people like.
                                        It is, but it doesn't necessarily have to be smug and self-satisfied.

Comment

David Chilton is our version of him. He wrote The Wealthy Barber in 1989 and it's sold 2 million copies in Canada. It's the same 10 lessons as about 50 other books, just presented within a different narrative. Richest Man In Babylon, but in a barbershop.

Comment

Ugh. So basically, they want to look at a dick but want to pretend that's not what they're doing.

Why can't people just go out and drink too much and eat a bit too much? Why must they make it so lurid and/or complicated and/or complicated and lurid?

Best bachelor event I ever went to. Convene at the groom's brother's place for drinks. Then go out to a good barbecue place in Philly. Go to a dive bar or two or three and tie one on. Cheesesteaks. Crash. What's wrong with that?

Comment

Sounds like an admittedly fun though pretty standard evening out -- shouldn't bachelor parties be more of a special occasion?

Comment

What....like sit around and sketch naked women? I tried that, but the club was too dark and the beer mat was too small.

Comment

Not to mention people keep stepping on your fingers.

Comment

Ha, I wrote a blog entry yesterday on an annoying New York Times article, from their ludicrous Style magazine about what Modern Man is wearing.

I also read that 'imagine no possessions' piece at the weekend and thought, "What a twot." Me, I'm through with possessions, dude, I've evolved beyond that, see? I'm, like, post-gadget spiritual.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X