• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wyatt Earp
    replied
    I'm living my life backwards

Do it. Do it.

This means I soon won't be OTF's oldest PhD student. (I've been registered as a part-timer for about 8 years, having had an odd, doctorate-free career trajectory into HE).

(I think I've nearly finished, by the way. More nearer the time on another thread with no risk of hijack.)

Leave a comment:

• Bill Poster
    replied

Really sorry to hear your news GO. As others have said, it's not been the best of years for you.

For my money though a Lotus Elise is like a go kart. Fun to ride in but you wouldn't want it to be your only car.

Leave a comment:

• linus
    replied

Sorry about your dad, GO, and hats off to him for living it up in the last chapter of his life.

AdC, good luck with the doctorate, it sounds like you will be doing a lot of research here...

Leave a comment:

• Andy C
    replied

Yes indeed, GO, sympathies. Lots of 'em.

Leave a comment:

• David Agnew
    replied

Didn't realise we'd gone onto a second page.

Best wishes GO.

Leave a comment:

• Brandenburger Toro
    replied

What they all said.

And fair play to him - that's a great attitude to take.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Oh no; so sorry to hear that GO.

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied

Ah fuck, really sorry about that GO. All the best

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied

Yeah, that's hard, GO. Best to you and yours.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied

My sympathies to you and your father Tim. It's been a wretched year or so for you and your family.

Leave a comment:

• David Agnew
    replied

Lyra wrote:
    Oh only in my actual department - it's a pretty small one and most of the students are 22-year-olds from Greece.

The age thing is bollocks you are right but I can imagine people thinking I was less serious about it having gone about it this way. But I can argue I'm *more* serious because it's not easy working and doing this part time...
    Employers that can see you've studied and worked full time will take it a lot more seriously.

Which reminds me. Globalization...

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied

Good for him, GO.

There are probably two or three of those in Canada, and I saw one of them smacked into the fender of a minivan. I'm fairly certain I saw the traffic cop and the tow-truck operator crying.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied

At the age of 80, and having been diagnosed with cancer, author June Callwood bought herself a new Mazda Miata convertible.
    My father, having been now confirmed with inoperable liver cancer, has decided to sell his Jaguar saloon and buy a Lotus Elise. A damn fine idea, methinks.

Oh, and good luck John.

Leave a comment:

• Brandenburger Toro
    replied

Aaagh, for the next three days, this was supposed to be my refuge from thinking about PhDs!

Excellent stuff, AdeC. And you're dead right. An intellectually honest person is never, *ever* done learning.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied

"Boo hoo hooo....my marijuana plant's got frostbite and my bungalow's only worth $600,000."

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied

Amor, my congrats. UBC? SFU?

SFU, Education Faculty.

As long as you're still eating solid foods and sitting upright under your own steam, I don't think it's ever too late for anything.

I'm getting two of my six custom-made new teeth in a couple of weeks so I'll be up for digesting anything.

Thanks everyone, OTF's collective support means a lot. In fact I'm not sure I'd have had the cojones to apply to the program if I hadn't been honed into shape by this forum's discourses and disputations over the past years.

Shit, it's snowing like Christmas in Flin Flon outside! OK, WOM and AG can stop that sniggering right now.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied

Age is no barrier. You can be appointed as manager of England's national football team aged 61, for heaven's sake, and still make a decent fist out of losing 1-0 to France.

Leave a comment:

• Reed John
    replied

"Watch for the dissertation on The Cultural Vocabulary of Sport Uniforms."

Put me down for three copies.

I think this is how it should be - the PhD as the "Big End of Level Boss" for a mature scholar - instead of forcing kids to slave away for their advisors for four, five, six, seven years subsisting on Ramen and beer.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied

At the age of 80, and having been diagnosed with cancer, author June Callwood bought herself a new Mazda Miata convertible. One of the more sensitive souls interviewing her on the CBC asked "Um...why?" and she said "Well, if not now, when?"

So, yes, congrats A de C. As long as you're still eating solid foods and sitting upright under your own steam, I don't think it's ever too late for anything.

Leave a comment:

• Anton Gramscescu
    replied

With, I trust, a thirst for knowledge...
    Completely off topic, but I had always assumed that St. Martin's college was a place for toffs. Then it comes out in a recent Times Higher Education Supplement that St. Martin's is the school which, proportionally, spends the most on bursaries for low-income students. Who knew?

Tangent over. Amor, my congrats. UBC? SFU?

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied

What are you doing up at this hour? Feeding the chickens?

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied

That'd be fantastic Andy. Tubby and I have taken in a couple together in the past and plan to this time, we could make it a threesome perhaps? I'll PM in a couple of weeks when my itinerary is firmed up.

Leave a comment:

• Andy C
    replied

By the way, Amor, you mentioned that you were planning to go to some of the exhibitions in London when you're making your forthcoming visit. I'd very much like to tag along if it can be arranged and if that isn't a bit presumptuous of me.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied

Lyra: Yes you can, and rightly so. The pressure to gear-down intellectually as we get older is insidious. I've friends who used to be passionate, engaged thinkers well into their forties but are now starting to let the wheels spin ( apologies for the Clarkson metaphors.) it's disturbing and sad.

SR: He he!

Leave a comment:

• Spearmint Rhino
    replied

Lyra wrote:
    Oh only in my actual department - it's a pretty small one and most of the students are 22-year-olds from Greece.
    With, I trust, a thirst for knowledge...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X