No announcement yet.

Intrigue in the Canadian Parliament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the short version: Native treaties give First Nations people the right to fish / hunt outside of regular hunting season. Local (white) fishers lose their mind, seeing it as an assault on local herds / stocks / their livelihood and respond with violence. It's all 'price of admission' in Canada, and suddenly nobody (police or politicians) can remember how to do their job or enforce the law. And, of course, it's political death to side with 'the Indians'.

Here's the deep-dive version.

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2020/10/...a-Lobster-War/

Comment

Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

Comment

The Canadian government has spent a couple hundred years entering into all manner of treaties with First Nations people that it has no interest or intention of honoring or seeing enforced. This is part XIVL in an ongoing series.

Comment

I'm no expert but I'm not sure about those Roman numerals.

Comment

Well, I'm not Roman.....

Comment

That'll be it.

Comment

Just back from voting. La Signora went in her off-road wheelchair. There are a few steps up to the polling place, which she could easily manage, but the electoral supervisor and an assistant brought the ballot box outside so she wouldn't have to bother. Nice touch, especially as it was pretty windy and the ballot papers were blowing all over the place. More of a struggle for them than for her.

Comment

Congrats, Amor, appears to be a comprehensive victory.

Comment

Indeed, a substantial majority for the NDP, lets hope they don't do anything silly with it over the next four years.

Comment

It turns out that the voter turnout in yesterday's the BC election was the lowest in history, less than 52%. Unhappiness with the election being called, preoccupation with more pressing concerns: eg: health, work, money, and a sense of dislocation especially among younger voters are suggested reasons. Not sure if this has any predictive relevance to the upcoming US election, but there it is.

Comment

It never rains but it pours - another election, this time in Saskatchewan, where the local government appear to make the UK Tories look like Cuba.

Comment

Heh! Western Canada is traditionally extremely polarised politically, there's rarely any middle ground at all. The Saskachewan Party are probably left of the Alberta Conservatives if it makes you feel any better.

Comment

That's true in the western US too.

Comment

Another crushing victory for the Saskatchewan Party. I remember when the province was an NDP stronghold. Then again, I can recall the time that Social Credit was a big deal in BC.

Comment

Hah....the Social Credit...that's what my dad continued to call the NDP right up until he died.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                  Another crushing victory for the Saskatchewan Party. I remember when the province was an NDP stronghold. Then again, I can recall the time that Social Credit was a big deal in BC.
                                  Social Credit are still around, they just took over the Liberal Party.

Comment

Yowzah!

https://twitter.com/CanadianPolling/status/1332047904811454466

Comment

Don't hold your breath. There's a long way to go before the next election. The poll numbers are mainly in response to Jason Kenney's ham-fisted approach to covid. That, and the fact that the oil industry is shedding jobs like a mongrel does fleas.

Comment

Yeah, he's getting pummeled for his stupid 'balanced approach'. Basically 'hope for the best'. He's living proof that it's far easier to be a candidate than a leader.

Comment

Not Canada but Ontario. Our Province's Minister of Finance, Rod Phillips, decided to violate his own government's lockdown and spend two weeks down in St Bart's over Christmas. Standard rich white man conservative hypocrisy. But he also had his staff seed his social media accounts with daily pics and reports of him in his constituency, giving the clear impression of planned deceit. He was ordered home by Premier Doug Ford and has now lost his job in cabinet. Ah well.

Comment

Three weeks

And now there is an Alberta minister who was in Hawaii

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                              Three weeks

And now there is an Alberta minister who was in Hawaii

Updated list of UCP Staff/MLAs not in Alberta for Christmas:
                                              Michael Florian (confirmed)
                                              Eliza Snider (confirmed)
                                              Matt Wolf
                                              Nathan Neudorf
                                              Tracy Allard (rumoured)
                                              Pat Rehn (holidaying in Mexico)
                                              Jamie Huckabay
                                              Jeremy Nixon (rumoured, there are Instagram photos of his brother in Maui currently)

This while family gatherings are banned in Alberta.

Comment

Hello, JayGeeKay . Are you in AB?

Comment

So the governor general (or "general governor", I mean, why not?) has resigned, because she is a bully

Comment

Yup, and according to people at the science firm she worked at previously, she has form. It was chalked up to the usual 'demanding / high standards'. But yeah, toxic workplace / harassment.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X