No announcement yet.

Intrigue in the Canadian Parliament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greens take Nanaimo in a federal by-election, doubling their representation in Ottawa at a stroke.

The implications of this are interesting. It had been an NDP seat but they finished third, with only 23% of the vote. The Liberals meanwhile got only 11%. This isn't good news for either party. There's a general election in October, the Liberal government currently have 17 seats in BC, how many they'll retain is highly questionable. Meanwhile the NDP struggle against Greens and will probably continue to do so. BC has been reliable ground for them for decades but not anymore it seems.

Comment

Pleased to hear that.

Comment

At last coherent information on money laundering in Canada. I don't think anyone is surprised except maybe regarding it's extent. Massive props to BC's NDP government for instigating what appears to be a very thorough investigation. I just hope people remember it come election time.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...ven-for-money/

Comment

I read about that. Apparently money laundering alone has pushed up real estate prices 5%.

Comment

I would be surprised if it is that low in Vancouver (or the luxury segment in New York, for that matter).

In other news, this is a heck of a story in which both major parties, the armed forces and the RCMP all look awful

[URL]https://twitter.com/charlesadler/status/1129567194046558208?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Yup. Alberta, the province of delusion.

Comment

[URL="https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/1147838519886471168?s=21"]https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/1147838519886471168[/URL]

Comment

Yeah, MacLeod is on the express elevator going down. I'll be surprised if she survives this, given the way DoFo is purging lately.

Comment

One has to be spectacularly inept to torch one's career by having a go at Eugene Melnyk, who is probably the most hated person in Ottawa.

Comment

One can only conjecture, but I'm betting LM was fairly well lubricated at the Stones gig when she crossed paths with Melnyk. He's managed to flatter her boss, too, which puts her in an even worse spot.

Comment

I'm struggling to understand why this would end a career, especially in the country of the Fords.

Comment

It's the latest in a succession of screw-ups, followed by rapid replacements of Doogie's people. Oddly, it's remarkably reminiscent of somewhere else...

Comment

Yeah, DoFo's first 12 months has been a cavalcade of screwups. They even make good things look bad, including making an expanded budget sound like austerity on the backs of autistic children. Really.

And the patronage scandals in the last 4 weeks alone? Astounding is putting it mildly.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                              Quadringa is right up there on my watch list, along with the Dennis Oland murder re-trial and the pastor/wife drowning re-trial. Frankly, it's a wonder I get anything else done these days.
                              Finally, Oland murder trial decision at 10 this morning.

Comment

Holy shit...he's been found Not Guilty.

Wow.....

Comment

What's this?

Comment

Failson accused of murdering his brewing tycoon father

Comment

I've read a substantial portion of the judge's findings. While I genuinely believe him to be guilty, I can certainly see where the judge was coming from with his ruling.

Comment

Intriguing.

Was he a public figure?

Comment

The father was a famous, rich local businessman. The son was a bit of a ne'er-do-well financial advisor who was spending about $100K more each year than he was earning.

Comment

So does Dennis get the money now?

Comment

Also, how come no jury in this second trial?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                                So does Dennis get the money now?
                                                Been dying to find that out, but nobody seems to have written about it. I believe his mother is still alive, and there's a mistress as well. Apparently he's still an executor on his father's estate, but unclear if he's a beneficiary.

Comment

I didn't realise that the prosecution had a right of appeal in Canada

Comment

Working...
                                                  X