So, southern Italy then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, southern Italy then

Going for a week this easter with the gf. We're flying to Pescara, and haven't got any specific plans apart from probably spending a day in Napoli. I'm not too crazy about big crowds and I understand it's an incredibly densly populated city, but the allure of the (allegedly) best pizza in the world is too powerful. Then again, we might skip that and just head down along the coast. None of us have been further south than Rome, so this is unexplored territory for us.

We'll read up on guide books before we go, but I thought I'd tap into the vastly superior knowledge base that is OTF to get the sort of tips and insights you probably don't get from Lonely Planet. Any suggestions on places to go, things to do and sights to see? What would you do if you were landing and leaving in Pescara with a week to fill? We might rent a car, but I hear the rail system is more than decent so we might just do that instead.

Apologies if this has been covered on OTF previously, any links to previous threads on the subject would be greatly appreachiated. Tried using the search engine, but I can't figure out how to use it properly.

So, southern Italy then

I'd say Sicily, but from Pescara it's a big trek and you can't possibly do it justice in the 3 days you'd probably be able to make it for, so I won't. However I will say that the next time you go you should go just to Sicily.

That wasn't terribly helpful was it?

Comment

So, southern Italy then

Don't bother with any of the supposedly famous pizza places in Naples: there'll be a massive queue and the difference in quality between them and other less lauded places won't be worth the hassle. Don't walk around with a camera hanging around your neck, and keep your wits about you, as pick-pocketing and muggings are rife.

It's a beautiful city, but dirt poor, and there will most likely be rubbish everywhere. Other than that I don't know much about the south, although Salerno was perfectly pleasant for an afternoon.

Edit

Oh, and eat fried stuff. They love that shit down there.

Comment

So, southern Italy then

Take a look at this thread and the links therein.

Are you going to have a car? Public transport can be challenging in the region.

Comment

So, southern Italy then

I can't find my thread about my visit to Italy.

Basically, a day isn't enough for Naples and its surrounding delights, you need a week or more.

Sicily was the highlight of trip to Italy, we gave ourselves a week to travel around it by car, it wasn't enough and we wasted too much time in the region around Catania.

Comment

So, southern Italy then

Sash's trip to Napoli.

Comment

Working...
            X