Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would Americans Understand Your Accent?

jasoń voorhees wrote:

The Louisiana y'all makes my skin crawl.

I don't mind the Texan one, but it's just so unnatural here unless accompianied by "all", as in "all y'all."
    That's supposed to be one of the nicknames of Kings of Leon - "Y'All 2" - in supposed reference to their Southern take on a U2 influenced sound.

Comment

Renart wrote:
      "Youse" is sometimes used in the Northeastern U.S., too, but is similarly frowned upon. Some people in and around Pittsburgh say "yins."

"Y'all" is often made fun of, too, outside of the South, but people should get over their prejudice, as it's very practical. The West Coast equivalent, "you guys," is longer, too familiar, and sexist.
      "Youse" was used in Australia many years ago, but you hardly ever hear it now.

Comment

Why on Earth... wrote:
        The Purple Cow wrote:
        I think the accent is definitely part of the problem. I have a terrible time in Minnesota and Wisconsin, slightly less so in New York. In the twin cities nobody can understand a single word I say, I even struggle to order a cup of coffee.
        Last time I was in New York, which is admittedly EIGHT YEARS AGO (can you believe that, FF?), I was struck my how crawling with fuckin' Limeys it seemed. Compared to Chicago, where you scarcely meet any.
        Wow, 8 years? I think you're due for another visit. This time, bring the wife and kids.

Comment

Renart, Furtho, Taylor, et al: Thanks for the LD on Steve Merchant's accent. I had been wondering that myself. His accent sounds a bit BBC/North Korean to me, but it had me confused.

I once accused a Brommie of being from Birmingham in a restaurant in Hoboken. And, may I just say that I knew Karl Pilkington had a Manc accent before I knew he was from Manchester? But you all (y'all, youse all, you lot, you cunts, etc., etc.) knew that I am not a typical ST.

The mistakes I am most likely to make are with people who do not live in their native country and whose accent has become diluted.

What I find most amusing is that a lot of the reality-based TV shows I watch ("Hoarders" and the like) use subtitles whenever someone with a really heavy southern or country accent is speaking. I can generally understand what they are saying, because I grew up listening to those types of accents, but I think it's funny that even people in this country would need subtitles for their fellow countrymen.

Taylor: For the record, I had no trouble understanding you on the radio.

I'm sorry, JV, but NJ has some of the worst accents I have ever heard. Especially when the speaker is female. And I'm not just saying that because you bashed my home state. I actually agree with you on that.

Comment

Working...
          X